Price or Wieters? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Price or Wieters?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Price or Wieters?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 pm

As great as Wieters will likely be, Price has the potential to be even greater. And drafting prospects is more about drafting potential than anything else. Draft any prospect is unpredictable.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amatter32 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Hitters are more predictable than pitchers, but catchers are in another category, they're just as unpredictable as pitchers.

How so? Catchers are hitters too. Last year I drafted Price number 1 over Wieters, but I'd probably go with Wieters in a different situation. He will be a top Catcher which is a weak position, whereas pitcher is deeper.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thomasps3 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:25 am

What some guys here are overlooking is the format. AL-only rosters typically have 14 hitters and 9 pitchers with 2 C slots. Now the way that affects value is that after the Top 4 American league Cs, the players become interchangable and typically are only $1(auction) or last picks in your draft(snake draft). Pitchers are much more plentiful, and when I think about a first ML season, I think of two guys:

Josh Beckett First year in AL: 5.01 era/1.295 whip
and
Dice-K First year: 4.40/1.34 whip

These two guys already had extensive success in the NL for Beckett, and obviously Japan for Dice-K, and the comparison between Kazmir and Price is a premature one at best, and a suicidal one at worst.

I'll stick with my Wieters pick anyday.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Amatter32 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Hitters are more predictable than pitchers, but catchers are in another category, they're just as unpredictable as pitchers.

How so? Catchers are hitters too. Last year I drafted Price number 1 over Wieters, but I'd probably go with Wieters in a different situation. He will be a top Catcher which is a weak position, whereas pitcher is deeper.

The everyday wear and tear from catching makes them much more susceptible to injury than other hitters.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:29 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
Amatter32 wrote:

The everyday wear and tear from catching makes them much more susceptible to injury than other hitters.

That may be true to some extent, but it shouldn't raise a red flag. And they aren't as susepctible to injury as pitchers.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:49 pm

True but catchers can't be lumped into the same category as every other hitter, they're in their own category. They may not be as risky as pitchers but they're not as safe as every other hitter.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball