I have no man crushes on this team WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I have no man crushes on this team WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I have no man crushes on this team WHIR

Postby Alexcny » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:38 pm

I just finished a draft which i think might be one of my least favorites ever. It felt like every time it was my turn to draft there wasn't a single player that I really wanted to have on my team. Its a 12 team Roto with the following categories; R, 2b, HR, RBI, AVG OPS, SB pitching are W, SV, ERA, K, WHIP and Holds. I know I have an over abundance of speed but not a lot of power(no players on my roster had 30 or more HRs last season). My pitching is also very dependant on young talent.
C- Victor Martinez
1b- Derek Lee
2b- Ian Kinsler
3b- Alex Gordon
SS- Jose Reyes
CI- Ryan Garko
MI- Orlando Cabrera
LF- Hideki Matsui
CF- Delmon Young
RF- Vlad Guerrero
OF- Melky Cabrera
Utl- Jose Guillen
Bn- Coco Crisp

SP- Cole Hammels
SP- Aaron Harang
SP- Dustin McGowen
SP- Ian Snell
RP- Eric Gagne
RP- Todd Jones
RP- Hideki Okajima
RP- Derek Turnbow
P- Brandon Morrow
P- Octovio Dotel
Bn- Matt Garza
BN- Homer Bailey
BN- Jason Schmidt
DL- Yovani Gallardo
Alexcny
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I have no man crushes on this team WHIR

Postby borryman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:10 pm

Looks like your lacking power as you stated. If Lee and Garko have above average years, you could get lucky. I think Kinsler will start this year on fire again, so you may have a good sell high candidate in him.

Your pitching isn't that bad. Hamels, Harang and Gallardo should rack up the k's. I expect Hamels to win at least 16 as well. If Jones manages to hold onto the closers spot and Gagne stays healthy ??? you should have a high number of saves. There WHIP and ERA may not be that good though.
borryman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby uscrichie » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:41 pm

maybe you can find a 30-40 HR guy on the waiver wire..... F. Thomas, etc.... you do need some pop.

ch ch check me out....

viewtopic.php?t=329932
uscrichie
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby guardian270 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Power is obviously lacking. You're best hope is a return to 30+ by Derrek Lee, which is definitely possible, but he's never been the same player after that collision with Furcal. I think your pitching is solid, two legitimate aces in Harang and Hamels. You might consider swapping an SP for a power threat, or looking into guys with power potential that are still available. Call me crazy but I think Wily Mo Pena could approach 30 this year, but he may kill you in other categories. Good luck!

Help if you can:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=329942
guardian270
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Redlegs » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:10 pm

i agree with your assessment. you may check waivers for someone having power to hold you over until you can make a deal.

as far as who to drop, id guess coco crisp, not sure how much value he has and you have enough speed. also, looks like homer bailey is starting in AAA. he needs to harness his control, so even if he does get back into the bigs soon, he will have problems. he hopefully will be good someday but there are better options this year.

good luck
Redlegs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Alexcny » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:39 pm

I just checked out who is available on the waiver wire for power help. The only players available who had over 20HRs last year are Jenkins, Stairs, Uribe, Wilkerson and Nady. None of these I'm really thrilled to have. I'm thinking if both Gordon and Young can hit 25HRs this year and Garko can pick it up to the 25-30 range I should be ok. If I do try and trade for power who should I shop around?

For pitching there really isnt much on the waivers. Some players like Bannister, Maddux, Kendrick, Owings and Baker. Should I drop Bailey for any of these players, or there any other sleeper type players that might be good pickups?
Alexcny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:42 pm

I agree that your team is more speed oriented, but I am wondering why people aren't mentioning Vlad as somebody who could easily hit 30 HR? You might want to go scour the wire looking for some more power, but it's not like you are severely lacking.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby HollywoodHartman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:50 pm

I won't say anything new because you know it (you need power). What I will tell you is why though, power is counted 3 times. For doubles, home runs and OPS. So get on it! Thomas isn't a bad idea.

Here's mine
viewtopic.php?t=329681
HollywoodHartman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Alexcny » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:41 am

Thomas is long gone via the draft. The only way im going to get power is via the trade. If you look a couple posts higher I listed the top power hitters on waivers and as you can see theres no one special there. Are there any players on my team that you all think I should be shopping around for some power? Which players do you think I could target as cheap buy power hiters?
Alexcny
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team