Granderson breaks finger - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Granderson breaks finger

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Granderson breaks finger

Postby orange12 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Mar 23 The Tigers have placed Granderson on the 15-day DL, retroactive to March 23, with a non-displaced fracture of the metacarpal at the base of his right middle finger, the team's official site reports.

Recommendation: Granderson will wear a splint on the finger for about two weeks, after which he should be cleared to resume baseball activity, meaning a mid-April return seems like a best-case scenario. Options to replace Granderson while he is out include Brandon Inge, Ryan Raburn and Freddy Guzman.

My guess is the Tigers give Raburn the shot, sticking him in the 8th or 9th hole while moving Renteria up to lead off. Now I know Guzman had some ungodly speed in the minors but that's only valuable if the Tigers bat him first directly replacing Granderson. I don't know if the Tigers are willing to give the lead off job to the virtually untested Guzman. Of course a platoon between Raburn and Gomez might also be an option. Lastly, I don't know why Igne's name is even out there; is 20 errors a season at 3B not enough that the Tigers would like to humor themselves and see if he could double that in CF?
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby livinginarizona » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:10 pm

orange12 wrote:
My guess is the Tigers give Raburn the shot, sticking him in the 8th or 9th hole while moving Renteria up to lead off. Now I know Guzman had some ungodly speed in the minors but that's only valuable if the Tigers bat him first directly replacing Granderson. I don't know if the Tigers are willing to give the lead off job to the virtually untested Guzman. Of course a platoon between Raburn and Gomez might also be an option. Lastly, I don't know why Igne's name is even out there; is 20 errors a season at 3B not enough that the Tigers would like to humor themselves and see if he could double that in CF?

As an owner of both Granderson :~( and Renteria :-° I'm wondering what this does to Renteria's value with him now leading off? I would expect him to get on base and score more runs than if he was batting seventh or eighth. I'm gonna lose value in the SB department, but I should hopefully break-even in the runs category.

I'm also wondering if they'll be putting Pudge up there to lead off and keeping Renteria where he is at and have Granderson's replacement bat eighth. That would be the worse possible scenario for me.
livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:19 pm

This is just awesome. Yesterday I got caught trying to bid him up ($20, $260 cap) in my auction and now this. I didn't even WANT the guy....
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 632)

Postby quitesanemax » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:27 pm

adeut85 wrote:
To be fair, I think Grady had a down year and Granderson had an up year of AVG last year. This news sucks really badly for Granderson owners but I am really happy I picked Rios over him now.

I did the same, chose Rios over Granderson... and it was a close choice. Our decision is looking good so far... knock on wood! Lol.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby redwings122 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:05 pm

Grandy will post similar to slightly lower stats as last year plus more runs to his total. I think he'll post around 20 steals because he has such a potent lineup in back that he won't need to swipe very many. I hope he's out no longer than the first 2-3 weeks. As far as the average, I think slightly under .300 but not by much. He's still young and still maturing.
Fantasy player since '99.

"That's what she said!"
redwings122
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:21 am

Good news for Granderson owners, its probably not going to be something that lingers the whole year...

http://disabledlist.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... erson.html

This guy has been accurate about injuries as long as I've been reading his blogs. Hes saved me from drafting a few players I shouldn't this year. I thinhk he knows his stuff ,JMO, of course.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 am

quitesanemax wrote:Good news for Granderson owners, its probably not going to be something that lingers the whole year...

http://disabledlist.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... erson.html

This guy has been accurate about injuries as long as I've been reading his blogs. Hes saved me from drafting a few players I shouldn't this year. I thinhk he knows his stuff ,JMO, of course.

Thanks for sharing. That's the most detail I've heard about his injury yet. Doesn't sound too bad.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:29 am

I would think that whoever replaces Granderson will be hitting ninth in the order. They may start Inge in the OF simply because he is making $6mil and they want to showcase him or at least try and get some return. Jaques Jones can play CF, so it would surprise me if Inge played there, though Leyland is hard to predict.
I think vs Lefties Pudge will lead off while Renteria seems the best fit vs Righties.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates