Scary draft... scary good or scary bad, tho? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Scary draft... scary good or scary bad, tho? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scary draft... scary good or scary bad, tho? WHIR

Postby thatguysound » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:42 am

10 team league, Roto, custom scoring. Stats are: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OBP, SLG, QS, W, SV, K, H allowed, TB allowed, ER allowed, ERA, WHIP. Daily transactions. 25-man roster.

My team:

C: B. McCann
1B: R. Howard
2B: K. Johnson
3B: ARod
SS: J. Lugo
OF: H. Pence
OF: C. Hart
OF: J. Hamilton
UT: M. Teixeira
UT: W. Taveras
Bench: Y. Escobar
Bench: J. Upton
Bench: C. Maybin

SP: J. Peavy
SP: T. Lincecum
SP: C. Buchholz
SP: R. Harden
SP: M. Garza
RP: R. Soriano
RP: J. Soria
RP: CJ Wilson
P: E. Gagne
P: R. Betancourt
Bench: I. Kennedy
Bench: M. Parra

I've never had a scarier pitching staff. Only 2 of my 7 starters have more than 2 years of MLB experience, and one of those two has been a walking hospital ward. I've been getting a few offers for various OF's, mostly for SPs coming back to me. None of them have blown me away, but I'm trying to figure out if ranked my OF's too high. What kind of production can I reasonably expect from my OF's especially?

Thanks for help. Will of course help in return.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Scary draft... scary good or scary bad, tho? WHIR

Postby hambone1818 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:49 am

I love--LOVE--that outfield. Two of them are 20-20 this season with good averages and they're both in the middle of good lineups. Meanwhile, Hamilton is a monster. I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he goes something like 90 40 100 .300. I wouldn't change that outfield at all.

My concern with your team is the same as yours: SP. I love Buchholz, and Lincecum could be top-5 in the NL this season. But Harden is guaranteed to go down, and Garza just isn't anything special. I might look to move Maybin and Garza for an upgrade at SP, then with the open slot pick up another arm (Cueto...though with 25-man rosters I'm guessing he's been taken).

The thing with SP, though, is that you can get some gems in-season. I tend to not worry about my staff until mid-May...if it's still not shaping up I might make a move then, but otherwise you're looking good.
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguysound » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:28 am

What kind of SP's should I be considering in any deal involving my main OF's? If I was to do a 1-for-1 deal, can you give me a few names to put me in the ballpark of who I should be asking for?
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby hambone1818 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:53 am

It all depends on who you're looking to move. I wouldn't move Pence or Hart, that would weaken your OF too much. Hamilton isn't valued where he should be by most people and I'm expecting HUGE things from him this year, so I wouldn't move him either.

So that leaves Tavarez, Maybin and Upton. If you were to move any of them by themselves I wouldn't expect anything more than what's available on the WW. Pair one of them with Garza, and you might find decent value in a trade. As far as who...I'm not really sure, maybe Billingsley, Hill, McGowan, Wainwright, someone in that area.

As I said, I might be inclined to do something like that (2-for-1 for SP help) and use your extra roster spot on Cueto. He's going to be very, very good, and his offense is top 3-4 in the NL, so they should provide a ton of runs for him.

Hope this helps
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team