DIESEL TEAM...what do you think? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

DIESEL TEAM...what do you think? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DIESEL TEAM...what do you think? WHIR

Postby hambone1818 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:01 pm

Guys, I just had a draft in my keeper league (5x5, 10 team, head-2-head, 4 keepers this season), and I LOVE my squad. I have a TON of upside, but it's all upside that could potentially be realized this season. I'd like to hear your thoughts. One note: my pitching is rather young and thin...I know, but I always manage to get a few guys during the season who are breaking out. Last year it was Lincecum, Gallardo, Shields and Francis...so I'm fully confident I'll be able to do something similar this season if a few of these guys don't pan out.

Onto the team:
C. Soto
1B Morneau
2B Weeks
3B ARod
SS Reyes
OF Holliday
OF Rios
OF C.B. Young
UTIL Konerko
BEN Gordon
BEN Butler
BEN J. Upton

SP Bedard
SP Lincecum
SP Shields
SP Ol. Perez
RP Saito
RP Street
BEN Wainwright
DL Gallardo

Any thoughts? I won this league the first year, came in second last year, and I'm hoping to get back on top this season. My offense looks unstoppable, I'm just wondering what people think about the team. Thanks.
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: DIESEL TEAM...what do you think? WHIR

Postby skjelstrom » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Wow how many teams are in your league?? Your team looks unstoppable. You may want to keep an eye on Soto though.

If you have time take a look and comment on mine: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=329338&p=2645845#p2645845
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby hambone1818 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:08 pm

skjelstrom wrote:Wow how many teams are in your league?? Your team looks unstoppable. You may want to keep an eye on Soto though.

If you have time take a look and comment on mine: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=329338&p=2645845#p2645845

10 teams. I kept ARod, Reyes, Holliday and Bedard, and Rios was sitting there in the 5th, which I think is pretty decent for him. I also didn't draft another SP until the 10th when I got Lincecum, so as you can tell the offense is pretty stacked. Any other thoughts? Can I improve on this squad?
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby markj11 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:20 pm

Strong offense. I agree about SP but you are lacking in saves.

Help me: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=329723
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sha » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:49 pm

I too am nervous about Bedard (and I have a little more behind him than you do). I would maybe try to trade some of your bats for some SP help. Your pitching staff is similar to mine. mabe try to move Gordon..how much will you use him with A-ROD there?

viewtopic.php?t=329729
sha
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hambone1818 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:31 am

sha wrote:I too am nervous about Bedard (and I have a little more behind him than you do). I would maybe try to trade some of your bats for some SP help. Your pitching staff is similar to mine. mabe try to move Gordon..how much will you use him with A-ROD there?

viewtopic.php?t=329729

You might be right...he also has 1B eligibility, but I have Morneau there--plus Butler. I might try to move Gordon for a SP, thanks.

As far as saves (brought up in another post), I have to disagree. How many people would have predicted a top-5 of Valverde-Borowski-F. Cordero-Hoffman-Putz last season? I draft RP late and see what I get, switch up as I see necessary. Saito was awesome last season, I see no reason for that to change this year. And Street missed 2 months last year, otherwise he would have been over 30.

Any other thoughts?
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguysound » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:07 am

Offense is... well, yeah, that's a pretty solid lineup. No two ways around that.

Saito scares me, especially coming off the injury. If Broxton is available on the waiver wire, he'd be a great guy to keep an eye on. Hell, even without the saves, he gives you enough input at other areas that he's good to have.

I completely agree with the other guy who wondered how much use you really had for Gordon. If someone in your league is high on him and can offer you a decent pitching upgrade, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thatguysound » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:18 am

A few other thoughts that came to mind:

The two scariest players in your lineup, to me, are Oliver Perez and... Alex Rios. Yes, the same Rios that you were thrilled to land with the 5th pick in your draft. Maybe its me, but it sure seems like he's older than most people think. He has a track record of starting out strong and fading during the 2n half. His numbers last year weren't really THAT impressive, and the only real difference between 06 and 07 for him is that he played more games in 07. It seems unlikely to me that he'd improve substantially this year, despite being the magical age 27.

Think of him this way: Rios could improve his production last year by a full 20%, and he still wouldn't be a 30/100 guy. I'm not saying he's not a good player or that you'll be sorry you drafted him. I AM saying that I'd watch him carefully and be ready to move him around the All Star break if you've got another manager really interested in him.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hambone1818 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:48 am

Cool, thanks for the input. I'm always active--especially with SP and RP, and Broxton is definitely someone I'm keeping my eye on, especially with Saito. If he goes down, I'm all over Broxton.

As for Rios, that's interesting. I know he isn't that young, but as far as his output I hadn't really thought about it that much--I figured he's a lock for 20-20 with close to 100 R and RBI. If he doesn't pan out there are enough OF to fill in--from Butler and Utley on my own team to free agents like Bruce, Rasmus, or someone else who might step up this season.

I like the thought of moving Gordon, but I wouldn't do it right away. I'm hoping he has a good month or two to start the year, boost his trade value before I'd do anything. He fell to the 14th round, and I'm thinking it's because he had such a sub-par year last year. If he starts out hot people will remember that he was the consensus #1 prospect a year ago.

Any other input? Thanks guys.
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team