The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:43 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:PartyPoker is pretty good.
I started with $50 and have been bouncing between $200 and $300 for the last year (I don't really play too often)
When all the Americans were "banned" it feels like they were replaced by Germans 1-for-1.
I play $6 sit-and-gos and the amount of monkeying (winning with crud over a great hand) that goes on is incredible.


partypoker is completely banned in the US. only can play for play money :-t


That's ridiculous. I hope if the democrats win this year they un-ban it. I don't have much to talk to the Germans about. :-S
You can go into a casino and gamble, but if you do it from home it is breaking the law? That's just stupid. :-t


Casinos/gambling are/is illegal in some states. Take Texas for example. Gambling is illegal ;-7 , yet we've got the lotto, powerball lotto, scratch off tickets, bingo, horse racing, and dog racing. Yet casino gambling, cards, slots, etc, is illegal. How's that for the very definition of "stupid"? :-b And just to make it even worse, it's only 81 miles for me to go gamble in Oklahoma, which I do in just over an hour on the road. Or I can drive 226 miles to Shreveport, or a 3 hour plane trip to Vegas (#1 choice of what I'd like to do :-b ).

They should just legalize gambling here and enjoy the revenue, jobs, and economy it creates. We always hear about a lack of money for this or that when they are talking about tax revenues, well, there's a really easy fix for it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:58 am

gosh, Oklahoma let 18 years old gamble. I lost about $30 bucks there after a whole day, very happy about it. I was down 80 at one point. But thanks slot machines and good old poker.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:00 am

Madison wrote:Casinos/gambling are/is illegal in some states. Take Texas for example. Gambling is illegal ;-7 , yet we've got the lotto, powerball lotto, scratch off tickets, bingo, horse racing, and dog racing. Yet casino gambling, cards, slots, etc, is illegal. How's that for the very definition of "stupid"? :-b And just to make it even worse, it's only 81 miles for me to go gamble in Oklahoma, which I do in just over an hour on the road. Or I can drive 226 miles to Shreveport, or a 3 hour plane trip to Vegas (#1 choice of what I'd like to do :-b ).

They should just legalize gambling here and enjoy the revenue, jobs, and economy it creates. We always hear about a lack of money for this or that when they are talking about tax revenues, well, there's a really easy fix for it.


I think a lot of it has to do with politicians pushing their "moral values" on everyone else. Which in my opinion should never, ever , ever happen. That would be like you and I forming a political party, winning the election, and forcing everyone to watch porn because we think it's good for them.(That's a bit far-fetched , but it's sorta how I feel the opposite would be).
If a prime minister or politician tried banning gambling or anything like that in Australia they would be crushed like a bug. That's why sometimes I feel sorry for you guys in USA. :-/
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11354
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:15 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:PartyPoker is pretty good.
I started with $50 and have been bouncing between $200 and $300 for the last year (I don't really play too often)
When all the Americans were "banned" it feels like they were replaced by Germans 1-for-1.
I play $6 sit-and-gos and the amount of monkeying (winning with crud over a great hand) that goes on is incredible.


partypoker is completely banned in the US. only can play for play money :-t


That's ridiculous. I hope if the democrats win this year they un-ban it. I don't have much to talk to the Germans about. :-S
You can go into a casino and gamble, but if you do it from home it is breaking the law? That's just stupid. :-t


doesnt really have much to do with republicans or democrats. i know its illegal in most places around me other than atlantic city. but recently in pa, they have allowed slot parlors, but no table games. silly.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:45 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:gosh, Oklahoma let 18 years old gamble. I lost about $30 bucks there after a whole day, very happy about it. I was down 80 at one point. But thanks slot machines and good old poker.


I play at Winstar Casino. Right over the border, exit #1. :-D Their slots are looser than those in Louisiana because they pay less taxes since it's on an Indian reservation. I enjoy goofing off with their slots. But the poker room is where I spend most of my time when I'm there. Easy money and now that they have alcohol, it's even easier money. :-)

AussieDodger wrote:
Madison wrote:Casinos/gambling are/is illegal in some states. Take Texas for example. Gambling is illegal ;-7 , yet we've got the lotto, powerball lotto, scratch off tickets, bingo, horse racing, and dog racing. Yet casino gambling, cards, slots, etc, is illegal. How's that for the very definition of "stupid"? :-b And just to make it even worse, it's only 81 miles for me to go gamble in Oklahoma, which I do in just over an hour on the road. Or I can drive 226 miles to Shreveport, or a 3 hour plane trip to Vegas (#1 choice of what I'd like to do :-b ).

They should just legalize gambling here and enjoy the revenue, jobs, and economy it creates. We always hear about a lack of money for this or that when they are talking about tax revenues, well, there's a really easy fix for it.


I think a lot of it has to do with politicians pushing their "moral values" on everyone else. Which in my opinion should never, ever , ever happen. That would be like you and I forming a political party, winning the election, and forcing everyone to watch porn because we think it's good for them.(That's a bit far-fetched , but it's sorta how I feel the opposite would be).
If a prime minister or politician tried banning gambling or anything like that in Australia they would be crushed like a bug. That's why sometimes I feel sorry for you guys in USA. :-/


In part. We're in the "Bible Belt" where gambling was a huge problem back in the stone age. I love Texas, love most everything about it, but we really need to throw away the "old school thinking" when it comes to gambling and get with the times. :-b

And I wouldn't feel too sorry for us over here. It really isn't all that bad on a lot of levels. :-) We've got issues like everyone else (how about not having affordable/reasonably priced healthcare as a start?), but on the overall, we are still pretty lucky compared to a lot of countries. If it ever got so bad I just couldn't stand it, I'd move to a country more in line with my wants/needs in a heartbeat. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby CheeseBeger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:35 pm

I believe that online poker still has the shady grey status of legality, ie you cannot get in trouble for playing. All of that poker legislation last year was targeting the financial institutions which process wire transfers and the such. The companies that banned U.S. players (like PP) were publicly traded, so it is still possible to play on the other sites legally (I think)

I've never had a problem because I never deposited a dime into a poker account. I got third place in a freeroll and won about $100 four years back. Now I just request paper checks when my account gets to a certain level, or when I need the money.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1713
Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't need doubletalk! You need Bob Loblaw!

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:36 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:I believe that online poker still has the shady grey status of legality, ie you cannot get in trouble for playing. All of that poker legislation last year was targeting the financial institutions which process wire transfers and the such. The companies that banned U.S. players (like PP) were publicly traded, so it is still possible to play on the other sites legally (I think)

I've never had a problem because I never deposited a dime into a poker account. I got third place in a freeroll and won about $100 four years back. Now I just request paper checks when my account gets to a certain level, or when I need the money.


Agreed, there's a gray area. Both Pokerstars and Absolute are taking the stance that playing poker isn't gambling (which I agree with due to the skill involved), so if the US ever tried to go after them, they'd wind up in court with that being the defense. Now I'd like to think the courts would be smart enough to realize the skill involved and rule it "not gambling", so it would be legal, but for some strange reason I have my doubts on that happening. :-b

So the US went after those who were moving the money (like Neteller). Last I read on it all they were also trying to pass laws to prevent banks from honoring the paper checks too, so keep your eye on that as well. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:34 pm

Madison wrote:
CheeseBeger wrote:I believe that online poker still has the shady grey status of legality, ie you cannot get in trouble for playing. All of that poker legislation last year was targeting the financial institutions which process wire transfers and the such. The companies that banned U.S. players (like PP) were publicly traded, so it is still possible to play on the other sites legally (I think)

I've never had a problem because I never deposited a dime into a poker account. I got third place in a freeroll and won about $100 four years back. Now I just request paper checks when my account gets to a certain level, or when I need the money.


Agreed, there's a gray area. Both Pokerstars and Absolute are taking the stance that playing poker isn't gambling (which I agree with due to the skill involved), so if the US ever tried to go after them, they'd wind up in court with that being the defense. Now I'd like to think the courts would be smart enough to realize the skill involved and rule it "not gambling", so it would be legal, but for some strange reason I have my doubts on that happening. :-b

So the US went after those who were moving the money (like Neteller). Last I read on it all they were also trying to pass laws to prevent banks from honoring the paper checks too, so keep your eye on that as well. ;-)


the thing is, the paper checks do not say clear as day Poker Stars. they're always in some sort of code, so it would take a very long time to determine what the company actually was. certainly the bank teller wouldnt be able to.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:the thing is, the paper checks do not say clear as day Poker Stars. they're always in some sort of code, so it would take a very long time to determine what the company actually was. certainly the bank teller wouldnt be able to.


I have no clue. Haven't looked into it much really, but the check wouldn't have to say "Pokerstars" for the computer to decline it when the teller put it into the system. All they'd have to do is flag the account the check is drawn off of. Simple really. And Pokerstars isn't going to be moving billions of dollars around several banks and accounts. So all that remains to be seen is if the government is going to take that step or not.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: The unofficial Hold Em(Venting, Discussion, Strategy) Thread

Postby CheeseBeger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:the thing is, the paper checks do not say clear as day Poker Stars. they're always in some sort of code, so it would take a very long time to determine what the company actually was. certainly the bank teller wouldnt be able to.


Right, I believe one of my checks came from a Wells Fargo account. Of course these things are traceable I am sure.

I am with you Mad, poker is certainly a game of skill and not gambling. You can actually learn a lot about statistical probabilities using poker.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1713
Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't need doubletalk! You need Bob Loblaw!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Jul. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(3:40 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact