14 Team H2H: Howard, Sizemore, Atkins, Kinsler... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

14 Team H2H: Howard, Sizemore, Atkins, Kinsler...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

14 Team H2H: Howard, Sizemore, Atkins, Kinsler...

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:46 pm

Howdy. This is my yearly league with my college buddies. Here are the settings and my team (drafted 10th position)

Yahoo! H2H, 14 Teams
Scoring:
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG
W, L, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, HR (HR given up, that is)

Batters:
C - Bengie Molina
1B - Ryan Howard
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - Garrett Atkins
SS - Yunel Escobar
LF - Lastings Milledge
CF - Grady Sizemore
RF - Nick Swisher
UT - Paul Konerko
BN - Michael Bourn
BN - Akinori Iwamura

Pitchers:
SP - Carlos Zambrano
SP - James Shields
SP - John Maine
SP - John Lester
RP - Francisco Rodriguez
RP - Joakim Soria
BN - Jon Garland
BN - Shaun Marcum
BN - Carlos Villanueva

Any comments or suggestions appreciated! Thanks and WHIR.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 14 Team H2H: Howard, Sizemore, Atkins, Kinsler...

Postby doubleplay122000 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:55 pm

that is a great looking team in a 14 man league

howard and atkins will give you great RBI and HR totals with really good BAs (howard's wont be as low as last years)...sizemore and kinsler give you great power/speed combos...swisher is great in leagues using OBP...escobar and milledge are wildcards, but both have shown they can play and should help you out
pitching staff looks really solid, and i expect maine to have a huge year for you

great job...wouldnt be surprised to see you at the top of your league at all ;-D

help please
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=329680
doubleplay122000
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mugrila » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Looks good, I'm not a fan of Zambrano though, might want to see who you could swap him for (another SP.) Other than that no huge holes, your power #s should offset your slightly low SB totals, and from there it's all about playing the wire. Good luck.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby bigken117 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Given where you most likely got them, I'm a big fan of Milledge, Swisher, Soria, and Lester.

I'd prefer one more closer, as 3 in a 14 team league gives you an advantage, and I would probably drop Iwamura for a speculative play like Howry or Turnbow or someone of that ilk.

Very nice indeed.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:19 pm

bigken117 wrote:Given where you most likely got them, I'm a big fan of Milledge, Swisher, Soria, and Lester.

I'd prefer one more closer, as 3 in a 14 team league gives you an advantage, and I would probably drop Iwamura for a speculative play like Howry or Turnbow or someone of that ilk.

Very nice indeed.

Yeah, I'd be all over the third closer, but our league has 2 RP spots and 4 SP spots ... no 'P' spots. When an SP,RP closer comes along, they're a hot commodity ;-D Thanks for the input.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DevilDriver » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:30 am

I like your team a lot. It's very well balanced and it's perfect for the league settings. Your starting pitching could use better depth though.I'd check to see who's on the WW.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:54 pm

I like your team's balance in power. Like Mugrila, I'm not a fan of Zambrano and so you might think about pairing him up with Konerko for an upgrade in the pitching or hitting. Other than that, not much to knock down on here. I'd scour the FA/WW for any upgrades that can be had over Iwamura or Garland, but you're likely to have drafted the best team possible.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:58 pm

Really solid. I don't get the Zambrano hate. Yes, he was inconsistent last year, but when he was on in the summer, he was absolutely lights out. Yes, hes going to get shelled some outings and it may hurt you in H2H, but I still think he's a pretty quality pitcher. Great 14-team team. In your position, I'd just wait for the season to start and see what you need.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:07 am

Overall, I like the team.
I don't know if I have confidence in Maine and Lester as your 3 and 4, but for a 14 team league you could've done much worse. I'm thinking James Shields will have a HUGE year since I didn't have enough spots to keep him in my keeper league. Last year, Zambrano seemed like he could win or lose you the pitching category in a H2H in any given week... wins and good numbers will come more often than losses, though.

I can't add anything about offense that hasn't been said already except that I LOVE your OF, especially with LF CF and RF.

Again, great team.
Mine's in the sig if you get a chance. ;-D
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:21 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Really solid. I don't get the Zambrano hate. Yes, he was inconsistent last year, but when he was on in the summer, he was absolutely lights out. Yes, hes going to get shelled some outings and it may hurt you in H2H, but I still think he's a pretty quality pitcher. Great 14-team team. In your position, I'd just wait for the season to start and see what you need.

It has to do with Zambrano's walk rate spiking up and the toll Dusty Baker has imprinted on Zambrano's arm. He could be a workhorse despite that, but he could be hit and miss with his increased lack of efficiency.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team