gallardo on the dl . . . now what? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

gallardo on the dl . . . now what?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

gallardo on the dl . . . now what?

Postby theonetheonlypv » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:37 pm

given that yovanni gallardo has hit the dl (and his injury does not sound good at all), who's probably going to crack the brewers rotation? i've got both kazmir and gallardo. :,-(
theonetheonlypv
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: gallardo on the dl . . . now what?

Postby Bogey9906 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:41 pm

This has been expected for several weeks. He should be back around the second week of the season.
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby seniorpaul » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:35 pm

This shouldn't have come as any surprise. He had surgury a couple of weeks back and he should only miss a few starts.

As for the Brewers rotation, it's somewhat of a mystery (even without Gallardo's absence). Sheets, Suppan and Gallardo (once healthy) are the three givens. The other two spots are still kinda up for grabs. I think Dave Bush has the inside track on one of the spots. That leaves Chris Capuano, Claudio Vargas, Carlos Villaneuva, and Manny Parra competing for the last spot. In all honesty, i'm amazed they haven't made a trade yet. Teams are always looking for more SP help, and i'm sure someone would be interested in Cappy or Vargas.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bogey9906 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 am

seniorpaul wrote:As for the Brewers rotation, it's somewhat of a mystery (even without Gallardo's absence). Sheets, Suppan and Gallardo (once healthy) are the three givens. The other two spots are still kinda up for grabs. I think Dave Bush has the inside track on one of the spots. That leaves Chris Capuano, Claudio Vargas, Carlos Villaneuva, and Manny Parra competing for the last spot. In all honesty, i'm amazed they haven't made a trade yet. Teams are always looking for more SP help, and i'm sure someone would be interested in Cappy or Vargas.

Well, the Angels thought they had extra pitchers a couple of months ago. You never know what's going to happen with those fragile arms. The Brewers will probably make a move after Gallardo gets back and if they think Parra or Villanueva are good for the long haul this season.
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheGinner » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:41 am

There's no way I could consider Gallardo as anythign more than a 4th starter. He was GREAT last year. However if there is already some lingering injury, plus the cental division race..... I really hope they don't push this guy too hard...

The upside is huge....... there is a lot worse players to take up your DL spot ;-D
TheGinner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Gags Sports » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:53 am

This is not the end of world for Gallardo. The DL stint was expected and is not a surprise if you've been tracking the situation for the past couple of weeks. He is only expected to miss one or two starts (three max). Since he's been throwing he hasn't had a single setback. The situation is actually progressing nicely.

Hang on to him and get ready for a great year starting in mid-April. ;-D
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby sigriffey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:07 am

What is the latest outlook on Gallardo? I am very tempted to deal Butler and Encarnacion for him, but I would be crazy to if he is really an injury risk beyond mid April. Any insights?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby The Big Train » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:06 am

Right-hander Yovani Gallardo, on the disabled list after undergoing surgery on his left knee Feb. 19, threw 75 pitches for the Class AAA Nashville Sounds. Gallardo went four innings, allowing three runs on six hits and one walk. He struck out five and allowed a home run against the host New Orleans Zephyrs.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/280385
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:07 am

The Big Train wrote:
Right-hander Yovani Gallardo, on the disabled list after undergoing surgery on his left knee Feb. 19, threw 75 pitches for the Class AAA Nashville Sounds. Gallardo went four innings, allowing three runs on six hits and one walk. He struck out five and allowed a home run against the host New Orleans Zephyrs.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/280385

Thanks for the update. I was hoping to hear some better results, 75 pitches over 4 innings is a lot, but as long as he is leaving the start pain-free, I'm not going to worry about the stats...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 am

No, you can't worry about the stats. He's up there pitching and half is attention has to be on assessing how his injury feels.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates