RASMUS up again? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

RASMUS up again?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RASMUS up again?

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:33 pm

Wasnt he optioned to AAA a week ago...on MLB.com he is listed as leading off today. Anybody know whats up??
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: RASMUS up again?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:21 pm

... probably because it's still Spring Training.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:28 pm

So I did some thinking since I posted this...The Cardinals need starting pitching; The Devil Rays need an OF. Earlier this week someone 'speculated' that Skip Schumaker could be dealt to the Rays (mlbtraderumors.com). So maybe, just maybe, the Cardinals are going to trade one of Barton, Ludwick, Schumaker to the Rays for a pitcher. This makes sense for both teams imo...the Rays get a serviceable OF and the Cards get a SP prospect (maybe Hammel, Howell, Nieman, etc...altho I may value some of them over the Cards OF??). Anyway, so they have this deal in the works and bring Rasmus back up to play some CF again. This also moves Ankiel back over to RF, leaves the extra bench OF available to fill in for Duncan in LF when he plays first for Pujols, who they now realize cant play everyday of the week...they just said he may sit 1-3 games a week this year.

So there is my thought...what does everyone else think??

Oh, and if you will...is it 'normal' to play a guy in ST even after you send them to AAA...No right??
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:30 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:... probably because it's still Spring Training.

I realize this but is it normal to play someone after they option them to AAA?
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:01 pm

Well not much to add but this below is from the Cardinals MLB blog of Matthew Leach. I guess he kind of answers my question about guys sent to the minors during ST but if anybody else knows how this works in ST please add! I know I am going crazy here a bit but he could really help me in my 14-team league! ...oh and does Schumaker really need a day off??...Barton and Ludwick have been taking time from him anyway...or is this me hoping again!

"Colby Rasmus is not only with the big league club, as he was yesterday and as often happens with Minor Leaguers. He's actually in the lineup. TLR just said he wanted to get Schumaker and Ankiel a day off, but it definitely jumps out a little. I'm still not making too much of it, but I'm a little curious."
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bb2nite » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:46 pm

The Cardinals would be fools to not keep Rasmus on the big club. These old guys like LaRussa get a little caught up in their ego. Dusty Baker is another guy who doesn't like young players and would rather throw away the season than to admit they may not know as much as their ego wants to believe they do
bb2nite
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bb2nite » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:47 pm

The Cardinals would be fools to not keep Rasmus on the big club. These old guys like LaRussa get a little caught up in their ego. Dusty Baker is another guy who doesn't like young players and would rather throw away the season than to admit they may not know as much as their ego wants to believe they do
bb2nite
College Coach
College Coach

Postby clevername » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:41 pm

some may argue the Cards would be fools to keep Rasmus with the MLB club to start the season and get his arbitration clock started during what will likely be a wasted year.

There are multiple factors leading to Rasmus starting at AAA. He probably won't be there long.

There are other things to be mad at Tony about (Miles, flirting with Juan Gonzalez over Barton, playing Izturis, etc.).
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:26 pm

clevername wrote:some may argue the Cards would be fools to keep Rasmus with the MLB club to start the season and get his arbitration clock started during what will likely be a wasted year.

There are multiple factors leading to Rasmus starting at AAA. He probably won't be there long.

There are other things to be mad at Tony about (Miles, flirting with Juan Gonzalez over Barton, playing Izturis, etc.).

LOL! Agreed, but he better be up soon if the Cards want to compete...I mean look at some of the recent teams that have had rookies help them to the big show. Tulo and Papelbon come to mind. Not that the Cards are going this year but anyway, do you think he will definitely arrive sometime soon though...once his clock is up at least?
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevethumb » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:31 pm

it is not uncommon for players who have been sent to the minors to still make an appearance w/the big club...it happens more w/position players than w/pitchers..was it a split squad game today ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates