12 team, 5x5 mixed, 9th pick in draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

12 team, 5x5 mixed, 9th pick in draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 team, 5x5 mixed, 9th pick in draft

Postby monomakh » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:18 pm

How'd I do? It was a weird draft for the league and I know I have a few holes but nothing major outside of the huge injury risk. Thome and Rolen are the picks I am least happy about (rolen was auto as I was trying to filter through Yahoo's horrid interface and ran out of time). I hate drafts, especially at the mid-late positions like I got this year.

Pos Player Round
c Posada, Jorge 8
c Soto, Geovany 16
1 Pena, Carlos 5
2 Roberts, Brian 3
3 Braun, Ryan 1
s Furcal, Rafael 7
mi Sanchez, Freddy 20
ci Rolen, Scott 17
o Crawford, Carl 2
o Hart, Corey 4
o Milledge, Lastings 14
o Bradley, Milton 25
o Kubel, Jason 26
u Thome, Jim 10
p Kazmir, Scott 6
p Street, Huston 9
p Burnett, A.J. 11
p Martinez, Pedro 12
p Capps, Matt 13
p Bonderman, Jeremy 15
p Arroyo, Bronson 18
p Ryan, B.J. 19
p Johnson, Randy 22
b Bruce, Jay 21
b Reynolds, Mark 23
b Jackson, Conor 24
b Parra, Manuel 27
monomakh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 team, 5x5 mixed, 9th pick in draft

Postby freeling_prideful » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:23 pm

I feel like several of your early picks were reaches...Ryan Braun in 1st would be a reach, there are better guys out there; Corey Hart in the 4th, Carlos Pena in the 5th...both could have gone a round or more later.

That being said, I absolutely love all the sleeper picks you got. Soto at C, your outfield guys behind Crawford and Hart (don't get me wrong, I like Hart, just not so high).
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby monomakh » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks. The problem was that I wanted one of the Pence-CYoung-Hart team, and of them Hart's the surest bet (injuries for Pence, contact for Young). All 3 would be gone by the time the pick came back around for my 5th round pick so it was then or never and my OF is weak enough as-is (though less so when Braun can move out there; I'm not so worried about filling up 3b production this year).

The same was true for Braun as he would have been gone before my 2nd round pick. I wanted his +10sb over Howard, Fielder and MCab, but I can see arguments either way. I would have taken Pujols had he fell to me there.

Likewise with Pena, where I was drafting ahead of my valuations, so I sort of hate that pick too. He was, however, the best pure power available left on the board at that time and I'd gone too far into the speed side (BRob, Crawford) so I had a need. I think the next 4 power guys at that time were Swisher, Andruw Jones, Thome, ... and then Dye, Konerko, and Burrell (if you want to count them as power). All things considered, I probably should have gone for Swish, but I figured while both are likely to get low-30s, Pena could possibly get to 40+ in at least some of the metaverses.
monomakh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby qnzbro2k » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Upgrade that staff OMG, Pedro,Burnett,Bonderman, and RJ in the same rotation.
11' Outlook:
AL CY: Jon Lester
NL CY: Roy Halladay
AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez
NL MVP: Troy Tulowitski
qnzbro2k
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gismes » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:03 pm

I agree with you about the injury bug hitting this team, and about your Rolen and Thome picks. Better than average outfield, altho mostly unproven they have great potential that I hope works out for you, I've never been a fan of your OF vets but that's just me. Your starters look like the weak spot at least for the first month or so. Kaz is going on the DL, Pedro is still recovering. AJ is being mismanaged and overworked in Toronto but has great stuff, watch out for his stamina late in the season, it could be indication of an upcoming injury. And the Unit needs to go away.
gismes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby monomakh » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Agreed as to your concerns on the starting pitching.

Kaz is going on the DL? Crap. I know Ryan is now, but I'd figured that would happen. I'm hoping to ride "contract year" AJ for the first four months and deal before he implodes.

I have a potential deal for Sabathia (also worked hard last year) in return for RJ and Thome (I get AAA-Rasmus as well, but I'll probably just drop him for some pitching coverage in the interim). Trying to move Rolen as well.
monomakh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kidsilk » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Not a bad draft. I would look to get another strong arm like you said Sabathia or a Beckett type. I like your nucleus of Braun, Crawford, Pena, and Hart on your offense. You should definitely be competitive and ajust a few moves could get you over the top.

Please see mine

viewtopic.php?t=329581
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1309)

Postby BigMak » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:47 pm

I think the offense is going to need help in the power department. You are relying on guys like Thome and Rolen. I would try and trade some speed for a big bat.

Pitching is what I see to be the big weakness on team. Not too high on your starters. If Kazmir is hurt, then you will be in trouble.

Help mine:
viewtopic.php?t=329326
BigMak
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby frolfsox » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:10 pm

i like your offense, but you need thome to stay healthy and hit 35+HRs and braun needs to avoid a sophmore slump. if those two things happen for you you should do fine and compete in you league, offensively anyways.

pitching is another story. it all comes down to health for me, pedro, burnett, johnson(i grabbed him in a late round as well) have all got to stay healthy. i have loved bronson since his days with the sox but he hasnt really put it together, just average for me. bonderman i think will be a key pitcher for you. he is young but has never had an ERA under 4 for a season. if he can have a career year you have a shot at contending. kazmir is a great pitcher and should have another good year. maybe try and get a solid starter in any emerge in the early goings.

pretty good overall, time will tell though!! good luck
frolfsox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby monomakh » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:20 pm

I don't think power is my biggest problem - I have it estimated at 275-300 HR, well above the 250 target, and Rolen's actually a bench guy despite the listing above (I have Jackson @ 19 HR, Reynolds @ 23)... then again, a lot depends on how Milledge turns out and Bradley staying healthy enough to get 450 ABs or so. And with Dusty die!die!die! Baker, I doubt Bruce gets a real shot any time soon, but he would be a boon. I have a lot of guys in the 15-25 HR range, which gives good balance but without a single player looking overly impressive.

I might try moving Crawford in a mega package, I've never been a fan (he's always nice but never puts me over the top), but he was available at pick 16 so it was a no-brainer (I was aiming for Sizemore or Ortiz, but they were taken immediately preceding my pick). My speed is more concentrated and easier to deal in that regard, some is wrapped up in players who are risky (Furcal), unproven (Milledge), or impossible to get fair value from.

All of my pitchers save Arroyo and Capps have big health asterisks next to their name. I'm fairly certain I can move Rolen for a middling pitcher like Carmona, which should help. To be fair, I think Kazmir is fine but the TB med staff is really conservative. At least Burnett and RJ are binary options - there won't be any waiting around to see if a middling performance will turn around, they'll either be unavailable or awesome. Bonderman's a long story for me, but he was fantastic last year until he got hurt and tried to play through it, which killed his stats. Hopefully he'll have learned his lesson and let people know when he's hurt and/or stay healthy. If not ... well, I've got a roster of middling pitchers with upside given where they were drafted (save Arroyo who is what he is. He'll almost certainly be the second to go after Parra). The thing about pitching this year is that there is a lot of depth but after Santana-Peavy, there's a huge drop to that second tier (where Sabathia-Hamels-Kazmir-Bedard are to be found).

The draft was at 6 in the AM, so I missed the news on Sanchez, Kazmir, and Ryan. Weird draft, all things considered. Given how the rest of it turned out, I'm in first by a few different projection systems, but it really all depends on health.
monomakh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team