Is Something Wrong Bedard? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Is Something Wrong Bedard?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Something Wrong Bedard?

Postby Snacks » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:47 pm

Has anyone heard anything? He is just getting beat up and he's not striking anyone out... I know it's spring training and I wouldn't be too concerned over bad performances but it's the way it's being done. He's given up something like 7 homers in 3 games, opponents are batting over .350 against him and he only struck out one today in 5 innings. Everyone says don't be worried, but everyone (me included) is basically drafting him on one great year and potential. Could he be just a good power pitcher who had a great season?

Snacks
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Something Wrong Bedard?

Postby DetroitTigers » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:10 am

I have the same concern as you even though it is only spring training. I drafted Bedard as my #1 SP and I also have Lackey, Kazmir, and Gallardo who will all start the year on the DL!! I'm sh*tting my britches right now, especially if there might be something wrong with Bedard....
DetroitTigers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snacks » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:59 am

DetroitTigers wrote:I have the same concern as you even though it is only spring training. I drafted Bedard as my #1 SP and I also have Lackey, Kazmir, and Gallardo who will all start the year on the DL!! I'm sh*tting my britches right now, especially if there might be something wrong with Bedard....

Oh man, that's some bad luck, but Gallardo and Kazmir should be fine and pitching within a couple of weeks. If it's worth anything, In one basketball league this year, my #1 pick was Arenas, then I just couldn't resist Wade in round 2! I also took a chance on an up and coming yourn laker center.... Bynum. Brother! Luckily once Arenas went down I traded him and Wade in a package deal and did okay.

Back to Bedard - I just read something where his coach is blaming the Arizona weather?... Here it is, it's a CBS blurb:

"The Mariners paid a hefty price to get Erik Bedard. So far this spring, they've got little to show for their investment. Mariners manager John McLaren believes the weather in Arizona has affected Bedard's grip, which has led to the high number of home runs. "I would think that had a lot to do with it," McLaren said. "He's a veteran pitcher. He knows what he's got to do." Bedard's struggles this spring might potentially help Fantasy owners if they allow him to fall in drafts. Continue to draft the strikeout artist among the top 10 pitchers in Fantasy."

Arizona weather affecting his grip? What Arizona weather? And then why isn't every other pitcher's ERA over 10.00?
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dixie Twister » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:54 am

Snacks wrote:Has anyone heard anything? He is just getting beat up and he's not striking anyone out... I know it's spring training and I wouldn't be too concerned over bad performances but it's the way it's being done. He's given up something like 7 homers in 3 games, opponents are batting over .350 against him and he only struck out one today in 5 innings. Everyone says don't be worried, but everyone (me included) is basically drafting him on one great year and potential. Could he be just a good power pitcher who had a great season?

Snacks

As funny as it seems.. Pitchers in Spring Training throw pitches that they would never throw in a real game.. they adjust speeds, they throw nothing but curveballs, they adjust arm angles they basically throw stuff up on the wall and try to see what sticks..

I would not worry about his spring performance, or any player with obvious talent and a track record.

When they have an skin in the game, the talent will rise to the top.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base." - Dave Berry
Dixie Twister Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby residentsa » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Bedard started very slowly last year too. I'm hoping for the same thing this year so I can buy low.
residentsa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates