Define Clutch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Define Clutch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:52 pm

ajgdrummer7 wrote:not as clutch as quincy carter and them cowboys.... ;-7

A cowboy and yankee fan? Have you no soul? I'll bet you even rooted for the Cobra Kai in "Karate Kid."
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:06 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:

A cowboy and yankee fan? Have you no soul? I'll bet you even rooted for the Cobra Kai in "Karate Kid."

LMAO ...

Go Lakers ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1155)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:34 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:

haha nah i'm all NY with the rangers, knicks and yanks. dallas is the only outcast... ;-D
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:24 pm

HOOTIE wrote:How did bowling get in here? Anyways, Pro bowlers are athletes. This notion that you have to play other sports well to be a athlete, would eliminate every sport. Place kickers are such fine athletes right? I would love to see Shaq turn on a fastball, Edgar go full court.

4 stands for football/bb/basketball/hockey.

The pressure in the PBA is unlike guaranteed sports (4). As a pro bowler, you have to drive to each tournament, unlike getting free transportation in the big (4). You have a entry fee ($300) i believe, for each tournament, unlike the big (4). MLB gives meal $, and a base salary of $200,000. In the PBA, if you make $30,000 for the year, you are in the red (about $40,000 needed to break even). There's pressure in all sports, but the elimination pressure in bowling, the idea you lost $1,200 that week, that bills are due, and no guaranteed $ coming in, is more telling imo. Tom Candiotti was on the PBA last week. He said the pressure in bowling was much tougher.

Guilty. I brought bowling into the discussion as an example of why I don't believe that someone is "clutch" simply because they do the job they are paid to do.

Nice post. ;-D Entry fees are up though. I know the Days Inn Open here in Dallas went up to $500 this year.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:32 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:btw - Madison - do you still bowl for fun or is it like hookers and sex (or gynecologists and...oh you get the picture) where it has become work and not fun anymore?

When it comes to my own bowling, no, it's not really fun anymore. I do a few things to keep perspective though. I donate time to work with youth bowlers and help them learn the game. The physical and mental aspects as well as the equipment, lane conditions, etc. I take my 5 year old son bowling and enjoy the purity of the sport. Back when just hitting the pins was good. It's things like that where I get my enjoyment from. When I lace up my shoes, it's all about going to work. Doesn't matter if it's practice, league, or a tournament, it's all about being the best I can be and earning a living.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:49 pm

Madison wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:btw - Madison - do you still bowl for fun or is it like hookers and sex (or gynecologists and...oh you get the picture) where it has become work and not fun anymore?

When it comes to my own bowling, no, it's not really fun anymore. I do a few things to keep perspective though. I donate time to work with youth bowlers and help them learn the game. The physical and mental aspects as well as the equipment, lane conditions, etc. I take my 5 year old son bowling and enjoy the purity of the sport. Back when just hitting the pins was good. It's things like that where I get my enjoyment from. When I lace up my shoes, it's all about going to work. Doesn't matter if it's practice, league, or a tournament, it's all about being the best I can be and earning a living.

thats a shame that you don't get to enjoy your passion anymore. of course our passions change as we get older and start families I guess.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:04 pm

wrveres wrote:thats a shame that you don't get to enjoy your passion anymore. of course our passions change as we get older and start families I guess.

Once in awhile, and it's not very often, I do actually enjoy bowling. Something like what we discussed in another thread would be fun. You, me, some nachos and a few pitchers of beer would be great fun I'm sure. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:17 am

Madison wrote:
wrveres wrote:thats a shame that you don't get to enjoy your passion anymore. of course our passions change as we get older and start families I guess.

Once in awhile, and it's not very often, I do actually enjoy bowling. Something like what we discussed in another thread would be fun. You, me, some nachos and a few pitchers of beer would be great fun I'm sure. :-D

ok but I get to use the Krypt Keeper ;-D and you, well you'll have to use the bowling alley provided, bright orange, 8.oz kids ball. Oh and play barefoot, just to make it fair. Now thats a handicap. ;-D
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:08 am

wrveres wrote:ok but I get to use the Krypt Keeper ;-D and you, well you'll have to use the bowling alley provided, bright orange, 8.oz kids ball. Oh and play barefoot, just to make it fair. Now thats a handicap. ;-D

What? You mean I don't have to wear a blindfold too?

Lmao! :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:58 am

Trot Nixon wrote:I know he plays a different sport but Tom Brady is clutch

Didn't he throw a interception on the 10 yard line? We are only talking bb, since that where the studies were done.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers