Draft Strategy: Is Streaming a solution? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Strategy: Is Streaming a solution?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Strategy: Is Streaming a solution?

Postby Buccos58 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Sorry if this post shouldn't go here.

It goes against all of my morals and ideals, but I've read more and more about the idea of streaming pitchers throughout the season and it's sounding better and better. I'm in a 5X5, 8 team league, head to head.

It seems that as long as you are able to intellectually choose pitchers to start every day, you should be able to win the Wins category, SVs, Ks, and most of the offensive categories because all your high draft picks are focused on batters. It's also a tough strategy to defend if you're playing against a streamer.

Just wanted to get some thoughts of whether I should:
1. Stream
2. Draft a balanced team (3 SPs, 7 batters in first 10 rounds as a goal)
3. Draft a mostly balanced team but leave one roster spot open to stream a pitcher every day.

Thank you.
Buccos58
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Strategy: Is Streaming a solution?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:54 pm

I'd content that you need to play to the rules and ideals of your league. Some people feel streaming is just part of the game; others feel like it is skirting the rules. By adding a weekly transaction limit option this year, we (Yahoo) hoped to give the latter an actionable alternative. If you're playing in a league that is not using any measures to prevent streaming, then you're probably within your rights to do so in an effort to win. I personally wouldn't just because I'm not willing to put in the time and energy required for to win in that way, but if someone else did, I'd have little to complain about. If a league is trying to prevent streaming, that should answer the question for you I'd think.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:03 am

I think it's a much more viable strategy in a small league since there will be great options out on the WW for you to choose from. In a deep league, sometimes those WW options won't provide much more than K's and hopefully a chance win or two.

Definitely in a standard 5x5 H2H with only 8 teams focus on hitting and then draft pitching when it's at great value. There should be plenty of options on the WW to choose from each week, and don't be surprised if any of your league mates try to do the same thing.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bleach168 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:24 am

It seems that as long as you are able to intellectually choose pitchers to start every day, you should be able to win the Wins category, SVs, Ks, and most of the offensive categories because all your high draft picks are focused on batters. It's also a tough strategy to defend if you're playing against a streamer.

If you do this, you will win your h2h league.

Unless you get beat by another streamer.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby byfrcp » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:15 am

Just don't expect to get invited back to the league next year.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Russell James » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:19 am

It is within the rules if they allow unlimited transactions, but like a few have said it is a bit of a risk because it will upset a few people in the league. Once you start streaming most likely someone else will use it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it if the leagues allow it though.

When you stream you punt ERA and WHIP, usually, but you dominate Ks and Wins. If you have 3 or 4 really good starts from a pitcher and your opponent has some weak starts then it is possible to win all pitching stats.

You can counter streamers though, but most people don't. Just bench your starters and play relievers. Punt W and Ks, but go after ERA, WHIP and SVs.

If you are going to stream make sure you draft a great offense and about 5 solid closers.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Chadgo5 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:20 am

"When you stream you punt ERA and WHIP, usually, but you dominate Ks and Wins. If you have 3 or 4 really good starts from a pitcher and your opponent has some weak starts then it is possible to win all pitching stats.

You can counter streamers though, but most people don't. Just bench your starters and play relievers. Punt W and Ks, but go after ERA, WHIP and SVs."

I never understood the fun in this. For me, there is still a bit of sanctity to the game. When you draft your team, that is YOUR team. I don't mind transactions, and encourage trading in our league, but constantly churning your roster is weak and slimy. We had one owner who did this years ago and we quickly changed the rules so that we draft more players for a farm team and then limit transactions to three for the year. Basically streaming is an unfair tactic as there are very few leagues where EVERY owner has the time to constantly track the waiver wire. And it is unreasonable to expect those time commitments from everyone. What ends up happening is that it ticks everyone off... which is not good for the health of any league.

Change the rules and don't ask the owner back.

JMO
Chadgo5
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers