Rios vs Markakis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rios vs Markakis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rios vs Markakis

Postby Snacks » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:39 pm

I apologize if this has already been discussed, I thought that I had seen it once, but could not find it.

I am torn on this one. I think that Markakis probably has more power upside, and if Rios is in the 2 hole, Markakis will knock in a few more runs regardless of Baltimore's poor offense. I'm really struggling over this one. I have both on two teams but am debating whether to give up Rios for Markakis in a 3rd. I think it's practically a dead heat, if you need Homers and Rbi's you go with Maka, but if you need runs and SB's you go with Rios. Opinions? In the long run, in a keeper league I'd probably hold on to Maka.

Thanks,
Snacks
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rios vs Markakis

Postby tribefan08 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:46 pm

I dont think thats accurate no SB's from Markakis? And Rios has the potential to go over 30 HR's this year? I feel you are right it is a major toss up. Markakis being in a better hitting spot yet a worse line up (I have issues with the Orioles line up protecting him, he can be pitched around), and RIOS will probably bat in the two hole but in a little better line up...

TOSS UP CITY

They're both right at that age where they can explode, if you have both and can keep them I'd do that, but if you have to get rid of one i'd get rid of Markakis. For some reason i'm sweet on RIOS busting it open this year.... maybe its because he's 26? Maybe it was his HR Derby performance last year?
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HydoBomb25 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Actually it's Rios' magical age 27 year. I expect big things...
HydoBomb25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rib217 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:57 pm

This one is a major toss up but don't let Markakis line up scare you too much. If anything i believe it has a lot of potential to be better this year than last year. Don't get me wrong, Rios is definitely in a better lineup but i have seen alot of talk about Markakis numbers being affected by the lineup. it is virtually the same minus Tejada, plus Luke Scott, and Adam Jones.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:23 pm

They are close, but I notice Markakis almost always goes a full round or 2 later...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Snacks » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Inukchuk wrote:They are close, but I notice Markakis almost always goes a full round or 2 later...

And that's a great point. If you just need one, then why not wait for Markakis. All things being equal that could be the difference maker.
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tribefan08 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:08 pm

ahhh My bad I meant 27! LOL

man so much fantasy stuff inside my head its about ready to EXPLODE! My draft is tomorrow morning thank god!

Just depends who you like more i guess, I think the power upside is there for both, but for Markakis the SB's upside might even be more. The line up like RIB217 suggested won't affect Markakis's stats too much, but then again like I said they can easily pitch around him... and Brian Roberts might be on a different team soon. His teammates mentioned Luke Scott (sleeper) and Adam Jones (rookie) are a far cry from the Blue Jays line up assisting RIOS. To put it quite simply the ORIOLES are going to suck. So its do you want a good player on a good team or the good player that is the only good player on the team...

my suggestion: if there's something you like better in the third than RIOS wait on Markakis, if not take RIOS, if you're still confused flip a coin....
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Cow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:02 pm

Markakis
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Field » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Rios. I trust his speed more than Markakis'.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:09 pm

rios.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye