Doumit - Paulino - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Doumit - Paulino

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Doumit - Paulino

Postby prateem » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:27 pm

Is Ryan Doumit going to be the starting catcher for the Pirates now that Paulino is going to be out for around half the season? Everything I remember reading in the past was how well he could hit for a catcher. Anyone have any thoughts. Maybe some sort of offensive break out. He hit .295 through the minors and last year got some 225 ABs and hit .275 in the majors last season. Thats not a bad clip for a catcher. Anyone see 60 R 15 HR 75 RBI 4 SB .280 if given 425 abs? The would make him a top 8 catcher, no?
prateem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Doumit - Paulino

Postby Caveman_Nick » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:20 pm

prateem wrote:Is Ryan Doumit going to be the starting catcher for the Pirates now that Paulino is going to be out for around half the season? Everything I remember reading in the past was how well he could hit for a catcher. Anyone have any thoughts. Maybe some sort of offensive break out. He hit .295 through the minors and last year got some 225 ABs and hit .275 in the majors last season. Thats not a bad clip for a catcher. Anyone see 60 R 15 HR 75 RBI 4 SB .280 if given 425 abs? The would make him a top 8 catcher, no?

Where is this information on Paulino coming from? Hopefully not the yahoo entries, because I believe that is errant.
Oog.
Caveman_Nick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby prateem » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Mar 20 Paulino (pinched nerve) was placed on the 15-day DL Wednesday, the Houston Chronicle reports.
Recommendation: Paulino won't be able to throw for at least a month and could be out for an additional two or three months once he can pick up a baseball.

Mar 12 The Associated Press reports Houston Astros SP Ronny Paulino (shoulder) will be out at least four weeks with a pinched nerve in his upper right arm. Paulino will receive anti-inflammatory medication and daily treatment and is not scheduled to throw for at least a month.
prateem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Caveman_Nick » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:04 pm

prateem wrote:Mar 20 Paulino (pinched nerve) was placed on the 15-day DL Wednesday, the Houston Chronicle reports.
Recommendation: Paulino won't be able to throw for at least a month and could be out for an additional two or three months once he can pick up a baseball.

Mar 12 The Associated Press reports Houston Astros SP Ronny Paulino (shoulder) will be out at least four weeks with a pinched nerve in his upper right arm. Paulino will receive anti-inflammatory medication and daily treatment and is not scheduled to throw for at least a month.

This is referring to a different Paulino, a Houston Astros SP. Yahoo has been making this error all spring.
Oog.
Caveman_Nick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Captain Caveman is correct- Yahoo is butchering that blurb. It refers to a Houston pitcher, but they're using the wrong name and posting it to the wrong guy.

However... keep your eye on Doumit anyway. He has C/OF eligibility and the Pirates coach says Doumit will play regularly in the outfield if any of the outfielders are injured or traded. Ssshhhhhh....
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Rage » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:02 pm

Yeah, I read this errant blurb and dropped Paulino for Doumit.
Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Postby McStallen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:03 am

Ronny Paulino is not hurt, but even if he was, Ryan Doumit would not put up top-8 catcher numbers. I think Doumit is a poor fielder and could not be an every day catcher. He's probably not an every day player regardless of the position.
He's a good hitter and will put up nce peripherals but I don't think he'll crack 400 at-bats- so if Paulino was hurt for an extended period of time I think the Pirates would find another option at catcher
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby mak1277 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:54 am

McStallen wrote:Ronny Paulino is not hurt, but even if he was, Ryan Doumit would not put up top-8 catcher numbers. I think Doumit is a poor fielder and could not be an every day catcher. He's probably not an every day player regardless of the position.
He's a good hitter and will put up nce peripherals but I don't think he'll crack 400 at-bats- so if Paulino was hurt for an extended period of time I think the Pirates would find another option at catcher

As someone who follows the Pirates on a daily basis, I'd like to say this is dead wrong.

There is nothing coming out of Pirates camp to indicate Doumit is not in the running to be the starter (or at least platoon with Paulino) right out of spring training. Doumit's defense, by all accounts, has been just fine this spring. Good enough that the Pirates sent all other catchers to the minors.

At this point, it's really looking like a platoon situation. I believe, though, that the Pirates would LOVE to have Doumit win the job outright and be the every day starter.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:30 pm

He is my only starting catcher, so I'm hoping he gets a fair number of at bats. I really don't care if he goes full time though. I decided not to spend a lot on a catcher, and as long as he hits well when he is playing, I'm happy with him. The only way I can lose is if he gets injured again. (Knock on wood!) He is 27, and if any year he is going to have a breakout season, this is it. I decided it was worth the gamble.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mak1277 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:01 am

From today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. There's been no evidence over the past year plus spring training that Paulino's defense is at all good. That should not be a determining factor in doling out ABs.

There was no fun for Paulino on this day.

In addition to that dropped popup, he made two poor throws: One came on a steal attempt of third that should have been a routine out but resulted in Jose Bautista leaping to corral it. The other came on an attempted 5-2-3 double play with the bases loaded. Paulino's throw to first sailed into right field and gave up two runs.

The Pirates still consider Paulino their No. 1 catcher, but management is pleased with Ryan Doumit's defensive progress this spring.

Paulino also went 0 for 2 with a strikeout at the plate, dropping his average to .184. Doumit's recent surge, including a single in three at-bats yesterday, has him at .275.

mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates