Pitching draft questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Pitching draft questions

Pitching draft questions

Postby melloyello » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:11 am

1) I'm in a Yahoo! league with these cats: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, XBH, W, CG, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP.

I am confused why most people say don't draft a pitcher in the first few rounds when there are just as many cats for pitchers vs batters?

2) I can draft 3 SP, 2 RP, and 3 P positions. Is there any strategy on getting more SP or RP for the P positions? Also, in the draft, is it better to get a stud SP or RP?
12 tm H2H

C B Molina
1B Pena
2B Utley Hill
3B Wright ARod
SS Drew
LF C Lee
CF BJ Upton, Granderson
RF Markakis J Upton

SP Lackey J Johnson Slowey Kazmir Scherzer Pelfrey Joba Volstad Niemman Wells
RP Broxton Hoffman Seay Aardsma
melloyello
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Pitching draft questions

Postby wurmz07 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:30 pm

Most people will say, don't draft a closer until late, which I agree with. I got Hoffman in the 17th round last year, and he was great for a pick that late. I made the mistake of taking a SP in the 3rd round last year(Carpenter). This year I'm waiting till at least the 10th or so round till I start filling out my staff(If i can get an ace in the 6th I'll do it),I'd rather fill out my positional players in the first 10 rounds, then fill out my staff with some good second tier pitchers(Shields,King Felix,Lincecum,Kazmir,Hill).

Good luck!
wurmz07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Motown Blues » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:47 pm

The reason most advise waiting on pitching is because A) the "position" is much more volatile / unpredictable, and B) there is a TON of depth. I won a league last year with Dice-K, Carmona, Penny and Young. I think I added Shilling late, when he returned from his injury. Not exactly a "blow-your-socks-off" core staff is it? None of these guys were early-rounders, and you will undoubtedly find this type of value in the upper (12+ rounds). I won with a balanced offense and a couple of good closers.

(Of course, if that new SP on the Mets staff...what's his name...:-? falls to the second round, I would snatch him up...)
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby XHendrix » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:48 pm

two of your categories are complete games and shut outs. Those do not come very often, and if its a h2h league you will end up splitting that category almost every week.
XHendrix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum