Texas Rangers offseason update - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Texas Rangers

Texas Rangers offseason update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Texas Rangers offseason update

Postby WebHamster » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:00 pm

ADDITIONS: C- Rod Barajas (FA from Arizona); OF - Dave Dellucci (FA from New York Yankees); DH - Brad Fullmer (FA from Anaheim); OF - Brian Jordan (FA from Los Angeles); RP - Jeff Nelson (FA from New York Yankees); SP - Kenny Rogers (FA from Minnesota); SP - Glendon Rusch (FA from Milwaukee); 2B - Alfonso Soriano (traded from New York Yankees); 2B - Eric Young (FA from San Francisco)

SUBTRACTIONS: INF - Andy Fox (claimed off waivers by Montreal); OF - Juan Gonzalez (signed by Kansas City); C - Todd Greene (signed by Colorado); INF - Mike Lamb (traded to New York Yankees); DH - Rafael Palmeiro (signed by Baltimore); SS - Alex Rodriguez (traded to New York Yankees); OF - Shane Spencer (signed by New York Mets); SP - John Thomson (signed by Atlanta); SP - Ismael Valdes (signed by San Diego)

RE-SIGNINGS: RP - Francisco Cordero

SPRING TRAINING SITE: Surprise Stadium -- Surprise, AZ

SPRING TRAINING REPORTING/WORKOUT DATES: Pitchers & catchers (February 19/20); Position players (February 24); First full squad workout (February 25)
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 569)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RancerDS » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:46 am

Okay, after having drafted for a Roto league, I'll be bluntly honest. I really wasn't crazy about drafting anyone out of 25 picks by 6 teams, once Soriano and Blalock were gone. I was eyeing Teixeira, but wasn't willing to forgo the precious picks I made in the later rounds before him.

Looking at their depth chart, I think they are due for a horrible season, unless these young players make a distinct, rapid impact upon this team.. as well as pitching digging in to stay ahead or keep the undecided late-inning games close.

If the Rangers are a .500 team this year in a win-loss category, I will be VERY impressed.
RancerDS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Projected Lineups???

Postby RB » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:04 pm

1)Young
2)Soriano
3)Blaylock
4)Texeira
5)Fullmer
6)Greer
7)Mench/Jordan
8)Nix
9)Diaz

any other possibilities..
I think Blaylock and Tex will have great years ahead of them but are being forced into this lineup and that's alot of responsibility for a couple of sophmore's. howver, they were touted as the #1 and #2 prspoects before last year and they responded very well. unfortunately, the rangers pitching staff could be outdone by my sisters softball team.
RB

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:02 am

The hitting will be fine. I don't forsee much trouble. M. Young needs to learn to take a walk once in awhile and Blalock needs to learn to hit leftys, but all in all, not too much of a problem.

Ramon Nivar has a chance to take the center field job over Nix. He's a speedster and there's a chance he would lead off. If that happens, then Nivar should be a good pickup.

Starting pitching is a disaster. No new news there. I've been a Ranger fan all my life and I'm going to root for them again this year, but I don't think we are going to do very well due to the terrible starting pitching. There's a shot at .500, but it's a longshot.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Eating Crow...

Postby RancerDS » Wed May 05, 2004 9:38 pm

Okay Ranger fans,

The last couple of weeks, I've thought about coming in here and facing up to how far off the mark I was regarding this team. Still, it's only early May, but they have impressed me far greater than I would have anticipated at this stage.

Chan is a bit of a disappointment from the stats end, but Kenny Rogers is looking awesome at age 39 (or is it 40?). R.A. Dickey really came on the last outing, so I've definately seen a team that can end up winning the division if all stay healthy enough.

Yes, I'm back to apologize and eat a bit of crow.... the Rangers are a much better team than the one I expected to show up on the field. Now, honestly, I would wonder have to wonder if they didn't finish at least 10 games above .500.
The average baseball fan watches the Boston Red Sox. The dedicated fan watches the Kansas City Royals.
RancerDS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Eating Crow...

Postby Madison » Thu May 06, 2004 2:12 am

RancerDS wrote:Okay Ranger fans,

The last couple of weeks, I've thought about coming in here and facing up to how far off the mark I was regarding this team. Still, it's only early May, but they have impressed me far greater than I would have anticipated at this stage.

Chan is a bit of a disappointment from the stats end, but Kenny Rogers is looking awesome at age 39 (or is it 40?). R.A. Dickey really came on the last outing, so I've definately seen a team that can end up winning the division if all stay healthy enough.

Yes, I'm back to apologize and eat a bit of crow.... the Rangers are a much better team than the one I expected to show up on the field. Now, honestly, I would wonder have to wonder if they didn't finish at least 10 games above .500.

That's a classy move. I'm impressed. ;-D

I'm also a realist though. It is still very early in the season. I said back in March that I'd be happy with .500 (81-81) ball. Even though my Rangers have me a very happy man right now, It's too early for me to call for a division win (as much as I'd like to see it. :-D ). I'd prefer to see the pitching continue at a respectable pace and see how it all shakes out in the end. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Texas Rangers