My H2HWS team (Psydney Psychos) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My H2HWS team (Psydney Psychos)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My H2HWS team (Psydney Psychos)

Postby Jimbo OZ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:05 am

In the spirit of Artful Dodger & Capt Chris I thought I'd post my current H2HWS lineup for discussion. My first disclaimer is that I had to autodraft approximately half of the team. Thus the high percentage of holds guys.

I had the 10th pick in this 14-team 6x6 H2H redraft (standard 5x5 plus OPS and HLD).

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
1B Prince Fielder
2B Howie Kendrick
3B Alex Gordon
SS Carlos Guillén
CF Carlos Beltrán
OF Bobby Abreu
OF Michael Cuddyer
Util Derrek Lee
BN Jack Cust

Pos Pitchers
SP Félix Hernández
SP Francisco Liriano
RP Carlos Mármol
RP Jonathan Broxton
P Heath Bell
P Scot Shields
BN Clay Buchholz
BN Justin Speier
BN Scott Baker
BN Edison Vólquez

Overall, my hitters should allow me to compete in those cats every week.

Obviously, my issue is in starters and closers. In fact, if Marmol doesn't win the cubs job then it may be some weeks before I get anywhere near a save cat win. On the other hand, I doubt anyone will get near my holds guys!

Anyways, it is what it is. Hopefully the young ptchers of King Felix, Liriano, and Buchholz can perform to potential to get me somewhere near the playoffs.

I'd love your thoughts.

Psydney Psychos
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My H2HWS team (Psydney Psychos)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:18 pm

Hey there Psychos!

First off, I didn't send a counteroffer mainly because I wanted to see what my unit of Loney/Blalock/Butler could do. The problem I had run into last year was I that I pursued trades too aggressively in April; I want to avoid such freewheeling in trades that early. I'm quite content with the squad I have now and would like to see how it plays out for an appropriate amount of time. ;-D

If you read my H2HWS blog, I've probably given some slight insights to all of our teams and I think you have a solid squad. You have ample power in Fielder and Beltran, but you'd probably need Derrek Lee and Alex Gordon to light it up to provide some extra power support as it seems you're a bit short on it thereafter. Guillen, Abreu, and Cuddyer should each pitch in 20 HR's. The pitching is going to make or break you, but one thing you have over the other clubs that have relatively shallow pitching depth is upside. A lot of if's there, no doubt, but this is the kind of staff I'd want to roll the dice on to hang in there. If Felix grows ever more efficient in his approach and Liriano can display he can be every bit as effective if he can't throw his slider as often, then you have a good chance. I liked the Buchholz pick (should get some time with Schilling DL'ed) and Volquez is a nice sleeper. Your RP core is nice, one of the best. I won't be surprised to see your team make the playoffs. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Jimbo OZ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Ray.

Upside is a good description of my entire team I think. Players like Salty, Kendrick, and Gordon are all upside and no track record. Same with pitching. I guess that is how I play fantasy ball - I prefer to have a player who will have a career year rather than one who had one last year.

It doesn't always work out that way and it is a real reason why I struggle with the 50 move limit in the league - I often search for surprises in the FA pool.

I think my power will be OK in a 14 team league. I would have preferred another bopper in my outfield but I think Abreu and Cuddyer will be good in other cats. If each of them can hit 20HRs I think I will be fine with Prince being my power lock.

I really think my season will rely heavily on Felix's health. If he is healthy all year I think he will be terrific and be a great fantasy ace. If not, then I rely too much on "upside" pitchers and not enough on reliable ones.
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Well, I'd be a bit skittish on Salty just because even if he's not starting the year in AAA, he's going to split time with Gerald Laird at C. Salty's defense as a backstop hasn't quite come along, but I'd hope he gets time at 1B.

Howie Kendrick could be a good bargain, but I don't think he does anything earth-shattering; he just falls in the category of being respectable enough for his position like Kelly Johnson. One thing that Kendrick has in his favor is he's slated to hit 2nd. His value was rather suspect when he was hitting 6th/7th. Kendrick doesn't really have a deal of power upside, but word has it he's going to be green-lighted more. However, in Mike Scioscia's system, aggressive baserunning is encouraged and so it's really not going to be any different for Kendrick. If he gives you 100 R, 15 HR from the two-hole, he's a good choice.

Alex Gordon came around well last year, but I don't think he'll post his career best year with respect to his lofty ceiling this year. Next year, perhaps, but he's too talented not to burst this year or in the near future.

I'm not quite as worried as King Felix's health, as the M's tend to take good care with him, but like a lot of young pitchers who take on a 150-200 IP, it takes its toll. The kid is what, 21-22? He's always had brilliant stuff but he gets himself too deep into counts, which could take some mileage on his arm. Remember another key to your pitching is also Liriano's health and like I said, if he can throw his slider with more regularity, which is of course, his filthy pitch.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Jimbo OZ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:21 am

Pending approval, I've now managed to address a major need. Have traded Bell & Speier for Dice-K. I was well and truly overloaded for holds guys. I think Dice-K gives me a good number 2/3 fantasy pitcher. A lock for 15+ wins and 180Ks. I suspect his ERA and WHIP will also improve this year.
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jimbo OZ » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Update:

After several trades and 30 FA moves, my team looks vastly different. However, it is languishing in 11th place.

My lineup now is:
C - Geovany Soto
1B – Prince Fielder
2B – Howie Kendrick
3B – Troy Glaus
SS – Carlos Guillen
CF – Corey Hart
OF – Bobby Abreu
OF – Jeff Francoeur
UTIL – Shane Victorino
DL - Hank Blalock

SP – Tim Lincecum