Really Strange Phone Calls.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Really Strange Phone Calls....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Really Strange Phone Calls....

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:53 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:im just curious as to how these numbers can call me but i cant call them back.

Computer dialed numbers from an outgoing line only.

I managed a few telemarketing companies in my younger years. One of them had automated dialers on outbound lines only, and all you had to do was tell the dialer to dial (555) 555 - and it would start dialing every single number from (555) 555-0000 through (555) 555-9999. Not all at once of course, only one for each live representative that was on hand. If someone answered, the system automatically transferred the call to a live representative (why you hear a click or delay sometimes). Any number not answered would still be in the loop to call again until a new prefix was programmed in.

Most program in the Do Not Call lists, which is what they are supposed to do so that the computer will skip those numbers, but not all telemarketing firms are reputable enough to do that. Being on the list does help your chances of getting less telemarketing calls, and gives you ammo to use since it's illegal for them to telemarket you if you're on that list.

Really quick and easy to get on the list, here's a link:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby abrage22 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:14 pm

i wonder why it is when scammers/telemarketers alot of the time have foriegn accents, or can't speak english very good.
right when i here that i know too hang up, they can't even pronounce ur name right half the time!!! :-D
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:35 pm

abrage22 wrote:i wonder why it is when scammers/telemarketers alot of the time have foriegn accents, or can't speak english very good.
right when i here that i know too hang up, they can't even pronounce ur name right half the time!!! :-D

It's can't speak english well!!

;-) :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Madison » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:21 am

pokerplaya wrote:
abrage22 wrote:i wonder why it is when scammers/telemarketers alot of the time have foriegn accents, or can't speak english very good.

That's all you're going to point out in that post? O:-)

:-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:43 am

Madison wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:

I know, right? He clearly mis-spelled 'hear' and 'to' and 'your' and unncessarily used three exclamation points instead of one. O:-) :-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby abrage22 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:03 am

Madison wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:

HEY! :-C :-C .. :-D Im trying to think of what class that is, but thats how bad i was at it, can't remeber,
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:53 am

Simulacrum wrote:I got a couple calls a little while back... people with strong eastern Indian accents, telling me I had won $5,000, and that they needed my full name, my bank's name, and my bank account number to transfer the money into.

I was kind of bored so I spent about 15 minutes arguing with one of these guys, asking him why he couldn't just send me a check or cash instead. Then I demanded to talk to his supervisor. :-D

BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Previous

Return to General Talk