Really Strange Phone Calls.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Really Strange Phone Calls....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Really Strange Phone Calls....

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:05 am

so today was my first day off after working like 8 consecutive days and im a night owl, so i'm sleeping in past noon on my days off. this morning, my phone is blowing up around 10am (early for me, and most people know that, so its strange enough to begin with.) So i roll over in my slumber, glance at the phone, dont recognize the number and go back to sleep. this happened two more times to me, because i turned it on silent and started cursing.

so i wake up at like 12:45, a little peeved that i didnt sleep too well from 10am-12pm, and turn on the tube to see temple already losing in the first 10 mins. then i remember my phone going crazy, and go to check the number that was calling me. as i go to pick up the phone it starts ringing and i see its an unknown number again, so i answer. no sound. just silence. i hang up and notice that i had 6 missed calls, all from the same number with a slightly different variance everytime.

(233) 916-5720
1(233) 916-5720 x2
01(233) 916-5720 x2
011 (233) 916-5720

i call each number back to see if i could get any kind of answer. each time the operator tells me "your call cannot be completed as dialed. please check the number and try again". WEIRD

so then i do a little google search and find out this has been happening to a lot of people and occasionally has a member on the other end trying to scam you. an entry from someone else:

A man states he is Rev. Frank Smith, he is a minister trying to buy cabinets so he can ship them to his home in south africa. He can barely speak english and hard to understand. I own a cabinet company and he wanted to pick up cabinets from me and he is shipping to orphan's in South Africa. Not sure what orphans need cabinets, I think they would need food more. LOL Weird....When we went to find out what this area code was, it said it was comming from Ghala in Africa. He called 11 times with in 2 hours. But used a cell phone in between the african calls with a 503-949-6296 number from tigard in Oregon. Even

so i tell my girlfriend this and she says she recently heard a news story about this and that it is in fact a scam but they cannot catch the people doing it for some odd reason. so just a warning....

i sure hope those orphans appreciate the cabinets i donated though ;-D

obvious joke!

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Really Strange Phone Calls....

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:05 am

great now I have to worry about the spam on my cell phone too? I already get the texts :-t
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:58 am

deerayfan072 wrote:great now I have to worry about the spam on my cell phone too? I already get the texts :-t

Do you get texts, and it comes up with the name Herbert or Cornelius or something, and you're like "hang on I have no such names in my phone directory" And it turns out to be an ad. I hate that. :-t

I also hate when telemarketers ring you and you answer, and the phone makes a ringing sound like you have rung them.
Tip: Let them jabber on for 30 seconds and ask to speak to their supervisor. They get very angry 100% of the time, it's quite entertaining.
Or it'll be an Indian telemarketer and they'll say "Hello this is Dennis from blah blah" you say "You don't sound like a Dennis" and they get confused and hang up on you.

We get rung pretty much every day here by telemarketers. It is great fun screwing with them. They used to get an earful when I worked nights. :-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Two weeks ago, I had received 3 automated messages from 3 different cell phone numbers (one had a local Long Beach code and the other a West L.A. one). It had something to do with car insurance and they needed info about my registration and other vital stuff. Forgot what the messages were entirely, but it's of course a big scam.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:43 pm

I got a couple calls a little while back... people with strong eastern Indian accents, telling me I had won $5,000, and that they needed my full name, my bank's name, and my bank account number to transfer the money into.

I was kind of bored so I spent about 15 minutes arguing with one of these guys, asking him why he couldn't just send me a check or cash instead. Then I demanded to talk to his supervisor. :-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Mugrila » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:16 pm

I haven't had any of those, but I have had Dominos call me and advertise some cheap pizza.

I bought one later that night of course. :-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:36 pm

This scamming stuff is stupid, its pretty said that people try to play on another person good intentions.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:43 pm

the weird thing is, is that after a bunch of research, 90 % of the time they dont say anything, just silence...if they were trying to scam, then why not actually TRY to.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:01 pm

have you guys tried the DO NOT CALL REGISTRY? take couple minutes to sign up.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:22 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:have you guys tried the DO NOT CALL REGISTRY? take couple minutes to sign up.

i never have but to be honest, i rarely EVER get these calls on my cell phone. maybe 1 every couple months, so i never had this problem before. im just curious as to how these numbers can call me but i cant call them back.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk