Pitching strategy for 2008 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching strategy for 2008

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pitching strategy for 2008

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:17 pm

After the 10th round or so those are the only types of SP's I draft...high risk/high reward. I would put Burnett on that list, and in H2H leagues you could probably put Carpenter down there...since you would be more concerned about him being ready for the fantasy playoffs...particularly if your league has 2 or more DL spots. Prior is more of a question mark, but since he's also high risk/reward I would include him...but not as someone you should count on, but rather as someone to think about grabbing in round 23+ and see what happens.

I understand what you're saying about the pitchers having to be ready to go in April, which I would agree to be the case for roto...but H2H makes high risk/reward guys more valuable IMO, because you really just need your team completely healthy for 6 weeks or so near the end of the season (assuming you make the playoffs ;-) ). I agree there is little point to drafting safe SP's in rounds 10+ and think you'll be pretty successful with your strategy.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:32 pm

Interesting idea. I think it would work well if you had a deeper bench and multiple DL slots. Otherwise you could have your entire bench/DL clogged with injured pitchers. I guess you can drop them but guys like Sheets/Pedro are still going relatively high so it's hard to dump them if you think they will come back.

It's just easier to try and pick pitchers rather than doing something like this. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take one or two risky pitchers but not an entire staff of them. I don't think I can voluntarily deal with the headaches (years of experience dealing with Prior, Sheets, Pedro).
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby freeling_prideful » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:40 pm

I mean, those aren't incredibly low picks you're talking about. Rds. 10-15 are still starter-level picks.

At the least, you should at least balance high-risk-high-reward arms with a few young guys who've established reasonable floors but have just as high ceilings. I'm talking guys like Adam Wainwright, John Maine, Yovani Gallardo, Jered Weaver, Rich Hill, Matt Cain, etc. etc.

All of them are available in the same range, b/w Rds. 10-15, that your super-risky picks are.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:46 pm

Yoda wrote:Interesting idea. I think it would work well if you had a deeper bench and multiple DL slots. Otherwise you could have your entire bench/DL clogged with injured pitchers. I guess you can drop them but guys like Sheets/Pedro are still going relatively high so it's hard to dump them if you think they will come back.

It's just easier to try and pick pitchers rather than doing something like this. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take one or two risky pitchers but not an entire staff of them. I don't think I can voluntarily deal with the headaches (years of experience dealing with Prior, Sheets, Pedro).

Few people know of this, but I'll let you in on a little secret...since I already let the cat out of the bag in my Cafe league forum...when you have 5 guys with good to great stuff go on the DL at the same time on your team, this it what happens:

Needless to say all your opponents will be instantaneously vaporized...and you run away with the league...and yes those men are actually on my 28 round Cafe league roster...and finally...yes...I'm looking forward to some vaporization (I suppose that goes without saying).

I just wish I was able to get Harden...then I know the DL Voltron abomination would be truly unstoppable. :-°
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:00 pm

I understand what you're saying about the pitchers having to be ready to go in April, which I would agree to be the case for roto...but H2H makes high risk/reward guys more valuable IMO, because you really just need your team completely healthy for 6 weeks or so near the end of the season (assuming you make the playoffs ).

That's a very good point. I haven't played a H2H league in years.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:20 pm

bleach168 wrote:
I understand what you're saying about the pitchers having to be ready to go in April, which I would agree to be the case for roto...but H2H makes high risk/reward guys more valuable IMO, because you really just need your team completely healthy for 6 weeks or so near the end of the season (assuming you make the playoffs ).

That's a very good point. I haven't played a H2H league in years.

It can be pretty fun...I've been meaning to play more roto, but I don't seem to find as much interest from others. I'll have to check the "classifieds" earlier next year. ;-D

Good luck with your strategy btw.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers