Joe Nathan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Joe Nathan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe Nathan

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:14 am

Is there any chance he's traded this year and doesn't close wherever he goes? In a perfect world he gets traded to a contender and closes there...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joe Nathan

Postby Diggin4third » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:31 pm

StarTribune
Last update: March 24, 2008 - 12:59 AM
FORT MYERS, FLA. - Dave Pepe, the agent for Twins closer Joe Nathan, will meet with the club today to try to complete negotiations on a contract extension.

There are only minor details left to discuss on the deal, which is believed to be for four years for at least $11 million a year. Indications are that the sides are still working on how the contract is being structured as well as what type of no-trade clause -- if any -- will be included.

Nathan said Sunday that nothing has changed but that he remained optimistic a deal was close.

The Twins tried to sign Nathan to an extension before the 2007 season but were unsuccessful. There were indications that the Twins would look to deal Nathan after Johan Santana was traded in February, but the club decided to try to stabilize the position for the next few years.
Diggin4third
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jfg » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:13 pm

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/neal/2 ... ough-2011/

The Twins and Joe Nathan have agreed to a contract extension through 2011 that includes an option for 2012.

The deal was finalized today after Nathan’s agent, Dave Pepe, cleared up some remaining details. The terms of the contract are not known yet but check back here for updates.

[UPDATE AT 1:40 p.m.] According to a source with knowledge of negotiations, Nathan will make $47 million over four years. That’s $11.25 million a year from 2008-2011 with a $2 million buyout if the 2012 option isn’t picked up. (Don’t know if the 2012 option also is for $11.25 million or not).

Nathan also gets a limited no-trade clause - he can pick three teams he can’t be traded to. It’s the same clause that was in his previous deal.

The deal allows the Twins to keep one of the best closers in the game and potentially stabilizes their bullpens for a few more years.

The Twins have scheduled a 3:30 p.m. press conference down here in Fort Myers. Come one, come all….

If the Twins salary budget is going to stay the same that's a huge chunk of the budget and a bad move. If the wallet is going to open it might be a good move. I'm betting on the former.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby CharlatanSin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:27 am

I love Nathan as an elite closer as much as the next guy, but this is a silly move for the Twins. Spending that percentage of the budget for a guy who pitches one inning every couple of days? With so many young, potentially stud pitchers waiting in the wings?

That's like the producers of "Superman" paying Marlon Brando a tenth of the film's budget for his 3 minutes of screen time.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:05 am

Good analogy with "Superman" and Brando

I love Nathan, he's on my fantasy team, but I think the twins should've let him sign elsewhere and bring in Neshek at the end of the year (they could've gotten some great prospects for him at the deadline)... they could've reinvested Nathan's salary into Santana.

I suppose they cold still trade Nathan, he signed a fair contract anyways...
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Irish Drunk » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:39 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nathan go to Detroit later this season. Jones will blow up and Zumaya's health is up in the air. They will need a legitimate closer for the stretch run.
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 152)

Postby CharlatanSin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:55 am

Irish Drunk wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Nathan go to Detroit later this season. Jones will blow up and Zumaya's health is up in the air. They will need a legitimate closer for the stretch run.

I don't see the Twins trading him within the division.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:03 pm

Tigers also have a barren farm system, so who do they give for Nathan?
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Nathan will not be going to a division rival. It might have happened if he didn't sign the extension but even that would have been doubtful. I don't think he gets traded this year. They'll probably go with what they have and see where they are next year around July and then he might get traded.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 pm

His deal does contain a limited no-trade clause, although I am not sure what that entails. Regardless, I do not see him going anywhere this year and would imagine he is a Twin through most if not all of that contract. The coaching staff really wanted him to get signed and they really seem to value what he brings to a young team.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates