Standard 5x5 Draft Assessment Request WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Standard 5x5 Draft Assessment Request WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Standard 5x5 Draft Assessment Request WHIR

Postby FullAsian » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:33 pm

New on the boards, just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the draft in my main league. Standard ESPN 5x5, 10 team league. 1 of each infield position, 3 OF, 1 Util, 6 P. I picked second overall:

2 Hanley Ramirez SS (pretty obvious)
19 Mark Teixeira 1B (maybe a few picks early, but I really wanted an elite 1B and I think Tex is going to have a big year)
22 Alfonso Soriano OF (unreal that he fell this far, almost took him in the 2nd but was afraid that Tex would get taken)
39 Justin Morneau 1B (was planning on a B. Roberts or Markakis here but they were both gone, so I went with best available)
42 Garrett Atkins 3B (was targeting him for the fifth round the whole way)
59 Alex Rios OF (again, hard to believe he fell this far)
62 Aaron Harang SP (Is he good enough to be my ace? I think so)
79 Michael Young SS (best available player left)
82 Adam Dunn OF (I think I have enough good hitters to offset his low AVG)
99 James Shields SP
102 Javier Vazquez SP (Solid 2nd and 3rd starters? I like high K, low WHIP guys)
119 Howie Kendrick 2B (1st opportunity to take a 2B, almost took him at 102, will probably platoon him with Hill)
122 Manny Corpas RP (now starts my run on 2nd tier relievers)
139 Matt Capps RP
142 Pat Burrell OF (good value here I think)
159 Jason Isringhausen RP (I really don't like this pick, I probably should have picked a starter like Maine or McGowan)
162 Joakim Soria RP
179 Aaron Hill 2B (pretty good value I think)
182 Ted Lilly SP (nice 4th starter I think)
199 Geovany Soto C

Overall I was pretty happy . . . I had a pretty defined draft plan going in which I had to modify on the fly due to some players I had highly ranked falling into lower rounds. All comments are appreciated!

FullAsian
FullAsian
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Standard 5x5 Draft Assessment Request WHIR

Postby daman316 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Good all around game with nice SP in the later rounds, and Harang is a horse
daman316
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby redwings122 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 pm

You stole Soriano! Great draft overall and well balanced. I agree with you about Mauer in your comment about mine, and I drafted Soto in another league. He'll pan out nicely IMO. I"m not a believer in Burrel, but there probably isnt' much to pick from in that spot. He's servicable for now, but keep and eye on the WW. From experience, there are always diamonds in the rough and mistakes other managers make that you can benefit from. Solid drafting and good luck.
Fantasy player since '99.

"That's what she said!"
redwings122
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby FullAsian » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:18 pm

Redwings,

I definitely agree about Soriano, obviously I was ecstatic when he fell.

I will definitely be on the lookout for another OF; I live in Philly so I know all about Burrell. However, he did bat for good average last year and come pretty close to 30/100 so assuming he can approximate that this year I think that is good for a 4th OF. I will be on the lookout for an emerging player, though (maybe Bourn) to solidify my OF if need be.

Thanks for the input!

redwings122 wrote:You stole Soriano! Great draft overall and well balanced. I agree with you about Mauer in your comment about mine, and I drafted Soto in another league. He'll pan out nicely IMO. I"m not a believer in Burrel, but there probably isnt' much to pick from in that spot. He's servicable for now, but keep and eye on the WW. From experience, there are always diamonds in the rough and mistakes other managers make that you can benefit from. Solid drafting and good luck.
FullAsian
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Manhattan Kings » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks for responding to my post. I will definitley take into consideration picking up another pitcher. As far as your team goes I belieave it is very strong inside and out. Since this is my first time doing fantasy baseball I really can't say much but I think you have a strong lineup and Javier Vasquez is a very good pick for second starter cause he has very good control for a power pitcher. Good Luck!
Manhattan Kings
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby giants8307 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:22 am

Nice draft. I think it's a bit heavy on hitting though. I really like Harang as a good #2, but am wary of him as an anchor. You've got both Morneau and Tex, so maybe deal one for a very good starter. I suggest maybe Morneau for Verlander or Tex for Peavy, something along those lines.

Your offense is pretty awesome. Should win speed and power cats almost every week. Nice job.

Feel free to add your comments:
viewtopic.php?t=328569
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shmity72 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:43 am

hi i really like your first 10 picks but the later rounds i don't know...

howie kendrik ? i would have taken best available sp. there ought to have been one on a good team still like say billingsly or something...i don't know.

good team very nice. please respond in kind to mine.
matchups
shmity72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team