The Official "Stuff that shouldn't be in the Closer Thread" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official "Stuff that shouldn't be in the Closer Thread"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Official "Stuff that shouldn't be in the Closer Thread"

Postby JimmyBaseball » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:42 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
JimmyBaseball wrote:
The Cubs organization and cub fans have to be the biggest idiots in baseball. For some reason, no matter how bad Kerry Wood throws the ball or how injured he gets, they continue to believe that he is the guiding light taking them to the promised land. They managed to drop their old shepherd (who I think will throw great in SD). Now they just need to get rid of Wood. A pitcher by any other name would have lost his job completely and would be selling used cars in the suburbs. This guy isn't even a washup. He's a never was. Oh wait, he struck out 20 batters in a game one time. Well Mark Whiten hit 4 hr's in a game too.

This is pretty contradictory...

Exactly what I was thinking. :-b

The point was one moment doesn't justify a career with the Cubs. Kerry Wood Sucks at playing baseball. Draft Marmol. Wood will find a reason to ride the pine.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:14 pm

chipper wrote:People get into debates in there over what their own personal philosophy's on closers are, when that's NOT what it's for. It makes it useless because no one wants to sift through 40-50 pages just to get to the valuable information regarding closers.
SO PUT THAT CRAP HERE ! ALL YEAR, RIGHT HERE. ;-D

It doesn't help that the Closers Thread is called "The Closers Thread" - that's way too ambiguous. Why isn't it for philosophy discussion? Game commentary does provide news about closers, but is it useless banter or useful information? The entire point of reading the Closer's Thread is to find out which guys might be worth picking up, so why is getting opinions on that considered crap?

If the Closers Thread is only supposed to include official news items about closers, then it should be called the "Official Closer News Thread" or something like that. Then people might be less inclined to talk about everything else that you consider crap.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:49 pm

JimmyBaseball wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:This is pretty contradictory...

Exactly what I was thinking. :-b

The point was one moment doesn't justify a career with the Cubs. Kerry Wood Sucks at playing baseball. Draft Marmol. Wood will find a reason to ride the pine.

I would be shocked if Marmol reaches 20 Saves this season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby davidmarver » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I would be shocked if Marmol reaches 20 Saves this season.

Agreed, but I would be equally shocked if Wood threw much more than 20 innings this season.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby chipper » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:45 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
chipper wrote:People get into debates in there over what their own personal philosophy's on closers are, when that's NOT what it's for. It makes it useless because no one wants to sift through 40-50 pages just to get to the valuable information regarding closers.
SO PUT THAT CRAP HERE ! ALL YEAR, RIGHT HERE. ;-D

It doesn't help that the Closers Thread is called "The Closers Thread" - that's way too ambiguous. Why isn't it for philosophy discussion? Game commentary does provide news about closers, but is it useless banter or useful information? The entire point of reading the Closer's Thread is to find out which guys might be worth picking up, so why is getting opinions on that considered crap?

If the Closers Thread is only supposed to include official news items about closers, then it should be called the "Official Closer News Thread" or something like that. Then people might be less inclined to talk about everything else that you consider crap.

Putting the word "Official" on it ain't gonna change sh :-P dude.
I titled this one an "Offical" thread as a joke. Get real.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:10 am

Wouldn't it be easier to have the Moderators report on the change of Closers with Posts that can't help to stand out like this one.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:30 pm

davidmarver wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I would be shocked if Marmol reaches 20 Saves this season.

Agreed, but I would be equally shocked if Wood threw much more than 20 innings this season.

If he reaches 30 IP, he has surpassed any expectation I have of him. I want no part of the Cubs back-end situation.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Re: The Official

Postby Bwanna » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:08 pm

My predictions:

1. This thread has good intentions, but will slowly die.

2. The closers thread will continue to function the way its predecessors have functioned -- the first post that Havok updates will continue to be useful, and the rest of the posts will continue to be a crapshoot. I'm OK with that, and I really don't mind the chatter (too much).

My recommendations (for what they are worth):

1. Don't post your "don't post" posts about what to post and not post. It really makes you look dumb (to me). Again, good intentions, but it's like continually shouting at people to stop shouting -- kinda defeats the whole purpose. Resist the urge to preach about forum etiquette, and let the mods handle it -- that's why they are mods and you aren't.

Suggestions to the mods...

1. Get a Nazi mod with lots of time to start deleting any and all posts that don't qualify with the intent of the topic. Start carding folks whose posts continually get deleted.

2. ...or create a forum (or topic?) to which only Havok or a handful of qualified and responsible reporters can add posts, and all others are readers only. IMO, this isn't the best solution because timely reports of info that a scrub might have don't make it to the cafe ASAP. But it would certainly get rid of the noise.

FWIW. Cheers.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 274)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:20 pm

The closer thread exists for a reason. We're not going to duplicate this here. I know some of you want the closer thread moderated differently. I have gotten PMs about it. It's just not going to happen. Havok's post is invaluable but the thread will never be simply a concise Rotoworld-like account of closer moves. If you come across a post that doesn't belong like "Rank these closers..." or "Should I pick up..." then card the post and we will move them for you. Use the card system to police the forums. Telling other members what to do or trying to force it by starting threads like this isn't going to work.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers