The Official "Stuff that shouldn't be in the Closer Thread" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official "Stuff that shouldn't be in the Closer Thread"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Official "Stuff that shouldn't be in the Closer Thread"

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:51 pm

chipper wrote:Who's first?

What does everyone think about the Cubs closer situation?

Me! I want to be first!

I think it sucks! :-]
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby saemick » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:53 pm

chipper wrote:What does everyone think about the Cubs closer situation?

I'm pretty sure they will have a closer chosen and locked up between now and the next 2 months!...definitely within the next 3 though :-D
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Payne Dailey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:08 pm

chipper wrote:Wouldn't you rather have the closer thread be clean and not opinion oriented?
If nobody ever said anything about it, then people (new people) might not understand.

The only way I see that happening is if the thread is locked and only updated by the OP/Mod. Then you risk real life/burnout/etc getting in way of updates. You could have a locked and unlocked stickies but thats a lot of work, pretty much a 24 hr job. Look at the posts and views on the thread and the enjoy the cafe thread underneath it. You gotta love the frenzy for the save.

It's a noble cause, good luck.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Cubs Closer Situation:
It should be Carlos Marmol..It should have always been Carlos Marmol but Sweet Lou wants to use Marmol as his "fireman" type reliever, where he'll use him in key situations and for more than an inning if need be.

Who will be Cubs closer?
I think all three(Marmol,Wood & Howry) will at one point or another hold the closer job this season for a variety of reasons(injury,ineffectiveness,Lou felt like it, etc).For opening day,I'll go with Bob Howry given the role he envisions for Marmol and in light of the news with Kerry Wood today.Whether Wood's back ailment is serious or not, it brings to light the durability issues; a closer is expected to pitch 2 sometimes 3 days in a row.Also, Howry,Spring training beat down aside, pitched to the tune of a 1.85ERA & 0.92WHIP in the second half last season so that's my guess.
Last edited by StarsNPinstripes on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Payne Dailey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:19 pm

By the way, Havok you're doing a great job again thanks for all your hard work.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 pm

I created a thread in GC, as well. Try and keep it up near the top, and hopefully that'll draw some action, as well. Anythin to keep the actual stickied closer thread a good place to go to for information, updates, etc. :-°
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby JimmyBaseball » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:38 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

Me! I want to be first!

The Cubs organization and cub fans have to be the biggest idiots in baseball. For some reason, no matter how bad Kerry Wood throws the ball or how injured he gets, they continue to believe that he is the guiding light taking them to the promised land. They managed to drop their old shepherd (who I think will throw great in SD). Now they just need to get rid of Wood. A pitcher by any other name would have lost his job completely and would be selling used cars in the suburbs. This guy isn't even a washup. He's a never was. Oh wait, he struck out 20 batters in a game one time. Well Mark Whiten hit 4 hr's in a game too.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:01 am

StarsNPinstripes wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
chipper wrote:Bro, you'd understand if you had to waste time sifting through garbage in the closer thread last year. They had to restart it like 3 times.

Can we get this as a sticky under the Closer Thread ?

very very doubtful....half the closer's thread are people with GC type stuff, and the other 49 % are people telling them it doesnt belong there. 1 % useful (albeit very useful stuff) is the other 1 %.

Stole my thunder Snakes.Yeah, it's annoying to read all these drop closer "x "for closer "y" posts but it's just as annoying to read "This doesn't belong here".If a closer is on the ropes,I'll use Joe Borowski in this example,I don't mind someone posting "Borowski got rocked" because it might prompt me or someone reading this thread to grab his possible successor at that instant instead of having to read about it or see it in the news.I think it's hard and maybe unrealistic to keep everyone on topic but in the big picture the thread has and will continue to serve it's purpose and just as importantly many posters participate which is great for the forum.

Yeah,
I don't mind posts that say "Borowski got rocked", but I can't stand it when people put: "Borowski got rocked. Him along with Zito tonight and my ERA is 107.00 this week so far." I just don't like it when people talk about their roster in a place where it doesn't belong.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:53 am

JimmyBaseball wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Me! I want to be first!

The Cubs organization and cub fans have to be the biggest idiots in baseball. For some reason, no matter how bad Kerry Wood throws the ball or how injured he gets, they continue to believe that he is the guiding light taking them to the promised land. They managed to drop their old shepherd (who I think will throw great in SD). Now they just need to get rid of Wood. A pitcher by any other name would have lost his job completely and would be selling used cars in the suburbs. This guy isn't even a washup. He's a never was. Oh wait, he struck out 20 batters in a game one time. Well Mark Whiten hit 4 hr's in a game too.

This is pretty contradictory...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:42 am

bigh0rt wrote:
JimmyBaseball wrote:

This is pretty contradictory...

Exactly what I was thinking. :-b
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers