Most Annoying Announcers Ever - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most Annoying Announcers Ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Most Annoying Announcers Ever

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:24 am

jwinter228 wrote:David Justice when he's on the YES network...

I agree with the white sox announcers...the goodguys thing gets really old and something about their graphics really annoys me too.

Ummm...mixed on Michael Kay, I don't think he's that great but sometimes he comes to awful conclusions and you know that Singleton/Kaat/O'Neill/whoever want to say something but you just get an awkward silence for a minute. He seems kinda like a suck-up to the Yanks front office.

Kay is a huge suck-up to the Yanks front office...though not nearly as much as the king of the suck-ups in that respect, namely John Sterling. He is not that bad an announcer though. Certanly not the best, but far better than the likes of Al Leiter, Bobby Murcer, Waldman, etc.

Oh, and as for the commenter on Keith Hernandez, if his voice was any more monotone and boring, he would be Fran Healy. Yeah he has made a little stir a couple of times over the years, but generally, he is about as enertaining to listen to as Ben Stein.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 491)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:42 am

I'll name someone who I don't think has been mentioned, the Giants announcers ... ugh. Oh and yes Mark Grace is terrible, as is Joe Morgan, and whoever does the Futures games (is it really that hard to do some research before they go on air). When I was a kid I kind of enjoyed the White Sox, but they got more and more annoying as I grew up.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:55 am

John Sterling.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:25 am

acsguitar wrote:And Joe Buck he's an arrogant jerkface.

I can't stand Joe Buck... :-P
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby seancasey21 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:13 pm

I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for Santo he is so bad. George Grande is Cincinnati appears to be one of the nicest humans on the planet but I can't stand to listen to him. Horrible catch phrases and is well-known among Cincinnati fans for his love of Cardinals and former Cardinals.
seancasey21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:20 pm

neoforce wrote:Cubs radio, Ron Santo.

I'm sure he is a big hit to the cubbie fans and I understand how local fans love local broadcasters to be homers, I'm the same way for my team, who I would listen to on the radio.

But now I listen to lots of NL games that are for local radio broadcast but also available via MLB's internet audio service. (A great deal, $15 for the entire year, every game included, no blackouts.)

Ron Santo taught me how annoying those broadcasting homers can be when you are listening to just enjoy the game and track your fantasy players, but aren't a fan of the team.

I disagree one thousand percent.

I'm not a Cubs fan, but I love listening to Ran Santo... such pathos in his voice every time something goes wrong for the Cubs... you can tell they're just breaking his heart. Also, you have to pull for him being one of the constant bring HOF'ers, never getting in, and playing his entire career with untreated diabetes. He has a great story, you should check it out.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:25 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:1. Joe Moron...err Morgan
2. Susan "I talked to Player X and he feels awful about..." Waldman
3. Ken "The Chalkboard" Harrelson
4. Tim "statement of the obvious" McCarver
5. Keith "Mr. Boring" Hernandez
6. Fran "Mr. Even More Boring" Healy
7. Don't know the name, but he does color for the Angel (Downing I think)...just horrible...like a young Harrelson.
8. Jerry "Butcher the English Language" Remy
9. Al "The mouth that never stops" Leiter. Having to here Al Leiter prophess the benefits of pitch counts and throwing strikes is most amusing though.
10. Joe "Add no value" Buck.

First time I really talked to my gf's parents was Thanksgiving at their house. I'm sitting at the table with her father, waiting for the food, and he asks, "So, what do you think of Tim McCarver?" My answer: "Nothing I could say at the dinner table." He nodded.

What a screening question, eh.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby neoforce » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Matthias wrote:
neoforce wrote:Cubs radio, Ron Santo.

<stuff removed.

I disagree one thousand percent.

I'm not a Cubs fan, but I love listening to Ran Santo... such pathos in his voice every time something goes wrong for the Cubs... you can tell they're just breaking his heart. Also, you have to pull for him being one of the constant bring HOF'ers, never getting in, and playing his entire career with untreated diabetes. He has a great story, you should check it out.

The joy of this type of thread on the cafe. To each his own.

One thing to be clear. I didn't mean to say Santo was a bad person or not worthy of respect. But when I listen to games I'm really not interested in the pathos of the announcer. I'm more worried about my emotions as I follow my fantasy players!! :-b

Although I was surprised to see some Cubs fans on this thread did include agree that Santo was tough to listen too.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Drew Goodman for the rockies is really really good. Most of their announcers are laid back and have nice voices.

Then there is Image

George Frazier: He's awful. Nails on chalkboard awful. He interrupts every other person he calls a game with its like he has turrets or something.

Example:

Drew: Man the rockies are playing really well today. Hitting the ball all over the.....

George Frazier: HEY DREW I THINK THE OTHER TEAM STINKS AND I FARTED!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:11 pm

redstorm41 wrote:My Least Favorites:

Rex Hudler (FSN) - He played baseball for over ten years and knows squat about the game. One of the dumbest color analysts I have ever seen.

I like Rex's enthusiasm though, but of course it's a bit exaggerated and when you see him before the game, clutching that baseball, and is raving about certain Halos, you know the guy has toked it up. I remember watching the Angels' World Series parade on TV and he was all over Tim Salmon's case. He started up a Kingfish chant out of the crowd (based off his nickname for Salmon) and the worst part is he had invented some customized high-five with Salmon all the while screaming, "Uppppp...streeeeeeeeeeeeeeammmmmm!!!" Even his play-by-play man Steve Physioc is a bit annoying. All they ever talked about from 2003-2005 was about the Angels' World Series victory and how everything minor reminded them of 2002. Unbelievable. :-t
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers