I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:20 pm

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:i wanted to dig this thread up to show, so far atleast, my strategy has worked. i avoided rios, even though i did like him, and targeted hart instead 3 rds later. i didnt draft outfielders in the first 5 rounds, and im doing quite well. not really trying to be bragadocious, but just showing the neysayers that so far, my strategy of avoiding early round outfielders, such as rios in the first 5 rounds has worked!

Well, it does sound like you're being bragadocious, but it also sounds like you're taking a very specific idea...
Hart, 3 rounds later > Rios

and turning it into a general idea....
OFers not in the first 5 rounds.

That first idea is just a very specific player evaluation, but it doesn't prove the more general point you're trying to make.

I don't hear any complaints from the owners of Ryan Braun, Manny Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano (pre-broken hand), Grady Sizemore, or Magglio Ordonez. The owners of Vlad and Carlos Lee might be grumbling, but it isn't a disaster or anything. And for every Josh Hamilton or Corey Hart success story you can bring up, you can name the outfielders of broken dreams such as Corey Patterson, Jeff Francoeur, or Delmon Young.

Also, any reason you didn't resurrect this thread in mid-May when Hart was sitting on one HR? Or were you just busy the first 6 weeks of the season.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:30 pm

Matthias wrote:
NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:i wanted to dig this thread up to show, so far atleast, my strategy has worked. i avoided rios, even though i did like him, and targeted hart instead 3 rds later. i didnt draft outfielders in the first 5 rounds, and im doing quite well. not really trying to be bragadocious, but just showing the neysayers that so far, my strategy of avoiding early round outfielders, such as rios in the first 5 rounds has worked!

Well, it does sound like you're being bragadocious, but it also sounds like you're taking a very specific idea...
Hart, 3 rounds later > Rios

and turning it into a general idea....
OFers not in the first 5 rounds.

That first idea is just a very specific player evaluation, but it doesn't prove the more general point you're trying to make.

I don't hear any complaints from the owners of Ryan Braun, Manny Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano (pre-broken hand), Grady Sizemore, or Magglio Ordonez. The owners of Vlad and Carlos Lee might be grumbling, but it isn't a disaster or anything. And for every Josh Hamilton or Corey Hart success story you can bring up, you can name the outfielders of broken dreams such as Corey Patterson, Jeff Francoeur, or Delmon Young.

Also, any reason you didn't resurrect this thread in mid-May when Hart was sitting on one HR? Or were you just busy the first 6 weeks of the season.


also, who are we drafting in rounds 1-5 instead? tulo? zimmerman? ryan howard? prince fielder? johan santana, jake peavy?
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby WyldStallyn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:52 pm

looks to me like you got a little lucky with the OF you have. so you have hart, bruce, francouer, mclouth, and justin upton. when did you get mclouth? he has played a huge part in your success, and i would be surprised if you drafted him. have you needed to drop any OF? upton is really struggling now, and francouer hasnt exactly been an allstar. if you werent able to get bruce or mclouth your OF would be in serious trouble, and there's no gaurantee that bruce wont come down to earth like longoria.

it seems to me what this proves is that if you pay attention to the wire you can pick up a solid guy at most positions throughout the season.
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1927
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:24 pm

Matthias wrote:
NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:i wanted to dig this thread up to show, so far atleast, my strategy has worked. i avoided rios, even though i did like him, and targeted hart instead 3 rds later. i didnt draft outfielders in the first 5 rounds, and im doing quite well. not really trying to be bragadocious, but just showing the neysayers that so far, my strategy of avoiding early round outfielders, such as rios in the first 5 rounds has worked!

Well, it does sound like you're being bragadocious, but it also sounds like you're taking a very specific idea...
Hart, 3 rounds later > Rios

and turning it into a general idea....
OFers not in the first 5 rounds.

That first idea is just a very specific player evaluation, but it doesn't prove the more general point you're trying to make.

I don't hear any complaints from the owners of Ryan Braun, Manny Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano (pre-broken hand), Grady Sizemore, or Magglio Ordonez. The owners of Vlad and Carlos Lee might be grumbling, but it isn't a disaster or anything. And for every Josh Hamilton or Corey Hart success story you can bring up, you can name the outfielders of broken dreams such as Corey Patterson, Jeff Francoeur, or Delmon Young.

Also, any reason you didn't resurrect this thread in mid-May when Hart was sitting on one HR? Or were you just busy the first 6 weeks of the season.


Yeah, I'm kind of dissapointed in Lee this season, but I think he can turn it around. I stayed away from Rios this season as well, I think he's kind of overrated. You can wait one or two rounds and snag Markakis instead of taking Rios in the third round. I know Rios has been in the league longer than Nick, but there numbers were very close. Nick had one more stolen base and almost 20 more RBI. Rios scored almost 20 more runs and had one more home run. It might have been a little risky to wait on Hart and/or Markakis instead of drafting a more proven guy, but it seems to be paying off.

You could've waited on a lot of positions not just OF. You could've drafted Lincecum much later than someone like Peavy and so far you'd have better results. Adrian Gonzalez is a player you could've got later than someone like Howard, Tex, Ortiz, Fielder, Hafner, Lee, Morneau, Guillen, and Pena. Sure not many people predicted he would put up these numbers because of the PETCO effect, but you could've waited. You could've six or seven rounds to draft Kinsler.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 185
Joined: 8 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:48 pm

Sea Dog Fan wrote:Yeah, I'm kind of dissapointed in Lee this season, but I think he can turn it around. I stayed away from Rios this season as well, I think he's kind of overrated. You can wait one or two rounds and snag Markakis instead of taking Rios in the third round. I know Rios has been in the league longer than Nick, but there numbers were very close. Nick had one more stolen base and almost 20 more RBI. Rios scored almost 20 more runs and had one more home run. It might have been a little risky to wait on Hart and/or Markakis instead of drafting a more proven guy, but it seems to be paying off.

You could've waited on a lot of positions not just OF. You could've drafted Lincecum much later than someone like Peavy and so far you'd have better results. Adrian Gonzalez is a player you could've got later than someone like Howard, Tex, Ortiz, Fielder, Hafner, Lee, Morneau, Guillen, and Pena. Sure not many people predicted he would put up these numbers because of the PETCO effect, but you could've waited. You could've six or seven rounds to draft Kinsler.

Actually, that's true. And you could've drafted Soto later than V-Mart or Mauer so let's not draft a catcher in the first five rounds. And I could've gotten Christian Guzman way later than Derek Jeter, so no SS in the first five rounds. And George Sherrill was a steal in the teens, so no relief pitchers. And Joe Crede is killing Ryan Zimmerman, so no 3B's. So no OFers, 1B's, 2B's, SS's, 3B's, SP's, or RP's... actually, you shouldn't draft anyone in the first five rounds... let the suckers get all the bad guys while you wait on all the studs. It's fool-proof.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:04 pm

Matthias wrote:
Sea Dog Fan wrote:Yeah, I'm kind of dissapointed in Lee this season, but I think he can turn it around. I stayed away from Rios this season as well, I think he's kind of overrated. You can wait one or two rounds and snag Markakis instead of taking Rios in the third round. I know Rios has been in the league longer than Nick, but there numbers were very close. Nick had one more stolen base and almost 20 more RBI. Rios scored almost 20 more runs and had one more home run. It might have been a little risky to wait on Hart and/or Markakis instead of drafting a more proven guy, but it seems to be paying off.

You could've waited on a lot of positions not just OF. You could've drafted Lincecum much later than someone like Peavy and so far you'd have better results. Adrian Gonzalez is a player you could've got later than someone like Howard, Tex, Ortiz, Fielder, Hafner, Lee, Morneau, Guillen, and Pena. Sure not many people predicted he would put up these numbers because of the PETCO effect, but you could've waited. You could've six or seven rounds to draft Kinsler.

Actually, that's true. And you could've drafted Soto later than V-Mart or Mauer so let's not draft a catcher in the first five rounds. And I could've gotten Christian Guzman way later than Derek Jeter, so no SS in the first five rounds. And George Sherrill was a steal in the teens, so no relief pitchers. And Joe Crede is killing Ryan Zimmerman, so no 3B's. So no OFers, 1B's, 2B's, SS's, 3B's, SP's, or RP's... actually, you shouldn't draft anyone in the first five rounds... let the suckers get all the bad guys while you wait on all the studs. It's fool-proof.


Haha no, I was just making the point that there is not specific way how to draft. It's not like fantasy football where you draft a RB early every single year and it's pretty predictable. There are some positions that don't have a lot of depth on paper, but turn out deeper than we all thought (like second base this season). No strategy is foolproof. It's not easy to predict that a guy like Vlad would be having this bad of a first half, but it happens.

I wasn't saying, take a bunch of sleepers. I went kind of an unconventional route and waited a few rounds to snag Gonzalez as my 1st basemen. There's not one specific position that you absolutely need to draft in the first five rounds.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 185
Joined: 8 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby wurmz07 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:06 pm

Week or so ago I got offered my Votto for his Rios, this offer was too good to pass up, being that Rios was "proven". I also have Hart, whom I drafted, and so far he has put up better numbers, but I see a huge turn around for Rios }:-)
wurmz07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 564
Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:47 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:looks to me like you got a little lucky with the OF you have. so you have hart, bruce, francouer, mclouth, and justin upton. when did you get mclouth? he has played a huge part in your success, and i would be surprised if you drafted him. have you needed to drop any OF? upton is really struggling now, and francouer hasnt exactly been an allstar. if you werent able to get bruce or mclouth your OF would be in serious trouble, and there's no gaurantee that bruce wont come down to earth like longoria.

it seems to me what this proves is that if you pay attention to the wire you can pick up a solid guy at most positions throughout the season.


the CHAMP is hereView All
Round Pick Player Position
1. (7) Johan Santana SP
2. (18) David Ortiz 1B
3. (31) Aramis Ramírez 3B
4. (42) Derrek Lee 1B
5. (55) Ian Kinsler 2B
6. (66) Corey Hart OF
7. (79) Rafael Furcal SS
8. (90) Félix Hernández SP
9. (103) Billy Wagner RP
10. (114) Jeff Francoeur OF
11. (127) Yovani Gallardo SP
12. (138) Alex Gordon 1B,3B
13. (151) Chad Billingsley SP,RP
14. (162) Joakim Soria RP
15. (175) Jeremy Hermida OF
16. (186) Justin Upton OF
17. (199) George Sherrill RP
18. (210) Rafael Betancourt RP
19. (223) Randy Johnson SP
20. (234) Bengie Molina C
21. (247) Conor Jackson 1B
22. (258) Nate McLouth OF
23. (271) Jon Rauch RP

actually, this was my draft, so as u can see, i did draft mclouth.

Ive obviously made some trades to get the roster i have below
Yoda wrote:
NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:i wanted to dig this thread up to show, so far atleast, my strategy has worked. i avoided rios, even though i did like him, and targeted hart instead 3 rds later. i didnt draft outfielders in the first 5 rounds, and im doing quite well. not really trying to be bragadocious, but just showing the neysayers that so far, my strategy of avoiding early round outfielders, such as rios in the first 5 rounds has worked!


How on earth did Hart last past 5 rounds? 8 team league?


yoda, i always respect your insight, but it seems to me like youre always trying to bash someone elses league or their level of competition. during my draft, i used the cafes MDP compilation, where Hart was listed as the 64th pick on avg, and i grabbed him as the 66th pick, so while he did fall ever so slightly, he didnt go after his projected round.
Snakes Gould wrote:
Matthias wrote:
NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:i wanted to dig this thread up to show, so far atleast, my strategy has worked. i avoided rios, even though i did like him, and targeted hart instead 3 rds later. i didnt draft outfielders in the first 5 rounds, and im doing quite well. not really trying to be bragadocious, but just showing the neysayers that so far, my strategy of avoiding early round outfielders, such as rios in the first 5 rounds has worked!

Well, it does sound like you're being bragadocious, but it also sounds like you're taking a very specific idea...
Hart, 3 rounds later > Rios

and turning it into a general idea....
OFers not in the first 5 rounds.

That first idea is just a very specific player evaluation, but it doesn't prove the more general point you're trying to make.

I don't hear any complaints from the owners of Ryan Braun, Manny Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano (pre-broken hand), Grady Sizemore, or Magglio Ordonez. The owners of Vlad and Carlos Lee might be grumbling, but it isn't a disaster or anything. And for every Josh Hamilton or Corey Hart success story you can bring up, you can name the outfielders of broken dreams such as Corey Patterson, Jeff Francoeur, or Delmon Young.

Also, any reason you didn't resurrect this thread in mid-May when Hart was sitting on one HR? Or were you just busy the first 6 weeks of the season.


i didnt dig this thread up in the first 6 weeks for the obvious reasons... the same reasons why if Rios starts raking and Hart falls off, someone, such as yourself will dig this up to bash me... right now is an oppurtune time to back up my claim preseason, so im doing just that. at seasons end, i may be dead wrong, and when/if i am, someone will dig this up n bash me.
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 700
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:02 pm

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:yoda, i always respect your insight, but it seems to me like youre always trying to bash someone elses league or their level of competition.


LOL so true.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby Matthias » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:17 pm

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:i didnt dig this thread up in the first 6 weeks for the obvious reasons... the same reasons why if Rios starts raking and Hart falls off, someone, such as yourself will dig this up to bash me... right now is an oppurtune time to back up my claim preseason, so im doing just that. at seasons end, i may be dead wrong, and when/if i am, someone will dig this up n bash me.

Actually, no. I don't think anyone is that interested, and people make predictions all of the time. People could have certainly dug it up in mid-May, but they didn't.

But now that you've puffed yourself up by digging it up, if Hart starts to swoon, then maybe I will. }:-)
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 9 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact