I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:27 pm

and you can grab cory hart about 3 rds later than alex rios. anyone agree with this? i was designing my potential draft sheet for my money league and i had rios slated as my 3rd rd pick, but then i realized, this season, i dont think im gonna touch outfielders in the first 5 rounds, as there are many guys who can be had cheaper, who may produce like a top 5 rounder.
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I Love Rios this season, but Hart may produce the same....

Postby hot4tx » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:29 pm

i dont think im gonna touch outfielders in the first 5 rounds

Bad idea jeans.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby cwrtlm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:35 pm

In theory Yes, this is true. I like to have a core of 2 solid outfielders and then have one from the up and comings to fill in the other slot. Last year I had Berkman, Hart, A. Jones and Chris Young and it worked out perfectly. I think if you wait you will be playing catch up the rest of the year. IMO
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby da bears » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Yea I have to agree that waiting on outfielders isnt the way to go this season. There are some larger than usual drops there if you wait that long where positions like SS and 2nd still have more useful guys for power or speed in the lower tiers than there usually is. Scramlibng for the next hot outfielder every month is no fun if you ask me.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:40 pm

Rios is going too early imo, I've been staying clear of him for where his ADP is..
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MTUCache » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:44 pm

da bears wrote:Yea I have to agree that waiting on outfielders isnt the way to go this season. There are some larger than usual drops there if you wait that long where positions like SS and 2nd still have more useful guys for power or speed in the lower tiers than there usually is. Scramlibng for the next hot outfielder every month is no fun if you ask me.

After trying many, many different combinations in mocks so far, I've got to very strongly agree here.

At the end of round 4, if I haven't locked up 1B, 3B, and at least one OF (if not two), I can already tell that I'm going to be in for a hurting during the draft. Whether it's taking a MI, one of the top C, or taking a P, any of those picks during the top 4 seem to really mess me up bad.

If I can't get at least one OF in the top four rounds (and hopefully two before 6-7), I'm usually reaching badly for the Hamiltons, Victorinos, Harts, etc... without getting those up-side second-tier guys your OF starts to look real bad real quick.

Focus: Yes, Rios is going too high for my tastes, but I'd gladly take him late in the fourth. He's definitely not out of the top-50 overall. Where he's going (middle of the third), I'd rather have Magglio or Dunn there. Players like Francoeur or Hart are definitely within striking distance if Rios has a down-turn this year (especially in the SB department), and I'll gladly take them in the 6-7 round range (maybe slightly higher on Hart).
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:18 pm

i wanted to dig this thread up to show, so far atleast, my strategy has worked. i avoided rios, even though i did like him, and targeted hart instead 3 rds later. i didnt draft outfielders in the first 5 rounds, and im doing quite well. not really trying to be bragadocious, but just showing the neysayers that so far, my strategy of avoiding early round outfielders, such as rios in the first 5 rounds has worked!
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:29 pm

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:i wanted to dig this thread up to show, so far atleast, my strategy has worked. i avoided rios, even though i did like him, and targeted hart instead 3 rds later. i didnt draft outfielders in the first 5 rounds, and im doing quite well. not really trying to be bragadocious, but just showing the neysayers that so far, my strategy of avoiding early round outfielders, such as rios in the first 5 rounds has worked!

How on earth did Hart last past 5 rounds? 8 team league?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Field » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:30 pm

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:i wanted to dig this thread up to show, so far atleast, my strategy has worked. i avoided rios, even though i did like him, and targeted hart instead 3 rds later. i didnt draft outfielders in the first 5 rounds, and im doing quite well. not really trying to be bragadocious, but just showing the neysayers that so far, my strategy of avoiding early round outfielders, such as rios in the first 5 rounds has worked!

Most any strategy can work if you pick the right players. I drafted 3 outfielders in the first 5 rounds and I find myself in first place. Berkman (3), Markakis (4), Hart (5) and McLouth (22). I tend not to draft outfielders in the middle rounds, I'd rather focus on pitching and position players in those rounds. I don't usually like a lot of the outfield value in rounds 12-20 since you can probably find a replacement off the wire rather easily unless you are in a deeper league.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:10 pm

Yoda wrote:

How on earth did Hart last past 5 rounds? 8 team league?

He made it to Round 11 (88th overall) in my 8 team league. For him to go in the top 5 rounds in an 8 teamer he'd have to be taken as a top 40 player. He's a top 20 outfielder which should put his ADP between 70-80...even in normal sized leagues (10 or 12 teams) that's still not a top 5 pick.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers