Chris Lubanski - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Chris Lubanski

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chris Lubanski

Postby garf112 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:29 am

Lubanski. I've always liked him. He always has taken a little while to adjust at a new level. I expect him to be in the majors by the end of this year, not hit great, and then be a decent hitter in 2009 and on. Crowe is a year older and hasn't even made it to AAA, yet. I expect Lubanski to turn some doubles into homers and become a .280 guy with 20 HRs, which makes him a decent choice in a deeper league that plays five outfielders and a utility slot. He's better than David Dejesus that's for sure.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cardinal1975 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:17 pm

I can understand always liking a player, but it comes down to whether KC likes him. If they do not care if he is picked in a rule 5 draft I am inclined to believe they do not think highly of him. I believe Dayton Moore is a fairly good evaluator of talent and it seems he does not care whether Lubanski remains on the roster or not. No other GM felt Lubanski had the type of talent worth a rule 5 pick. But for a minute let's be serious. The KC farm is not exactly set ablaze with talent(as is also the case with the big league club)so why would a team like KC, who would control Lubanski 5 years after he gets to the big leagues, give up a guy that will be a 20hr 80rbi guy for nothing. I mean they are hanging onto Ryan Shealy and Ross Gload for goodness sakes. This means they must think Gload and Shealy are better or have a better chance of reaching their potential than Lubanski. I just do not see how if Lubanski has all of this talent the KC Royals(not the Yankees, Red Sox, or another team with a deep talented farm system)would give him away for nothing....and more suprising is that NO OTHER TEAM WANTED HIM! He may be the nicest guy in the world, but when KC(in the state they are in)does not care if you are there maybe you do not project well as a player.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:00 am

You keep harping on the Rule V draft. Isn't it possible that no one thought he could hack it in MLB this year but might be a serviceable OF in the future? I mean he is 23 and starting in AAA. It seems a little short-sighted just to write him off as a failure already.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby cardinal1975 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:20 pm

I did say he could do an Emil Brown impersonation in about 3-4 years for a terrible team in need of a cheap player. My point is if he was truly talented he would have been selected by one of the 29 teams or at least not have been left unprotected by KC. I never said he could not be a below average left fielder in 3 years. The original question dealt with whom to hold onto.....Trevor Crowe or Lubanski. I merely pointed out that Lubanski's present team and the other 29 teams must not think he is very talented because he was not selected in the rule 5 draft or protected prior to it. Crowe is still held as a prospect by Cleveland at least at this point. 2008 will be a very important year for Crowe who has to keep improving lest he become the next Lubanski(A former high 1st rounder).....unwanted by his own team and not thought highly enough to be given a shot by the other 29 teams. That is why I still would pick Crowe over Lubanski. By the way nobody but the most optimistic prognosticators thought Josh Hamilton would make Cincy's roster out of spring training let alone make an impact in the big leagues with his bat. The reason Hamilton was selected was because a team felt he had a lot of potential despite not playing above A-ball for four years. Again this lack of potential is why Lubanski was left unprotected and not drafted.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:50 pm

cardinal1975 wrote:I did say he could do an Emil Brown impersonation in about 3-4 years for a terrible team in need of a cheap player. My point is if he was truly talented he would have been selected by one of the 29 teams or at least not have been left unprotected by KC. I never said he could not be a below average left fielder in 3 years. The original question dealt with whom to hold onto.....Trevor Crowe or Lubanski. I merely pointed out that Lubanski's present team and the other 29 teams must not think he is very talented because he was not selected in the rule 5 draft or protected prior to it. Crowe is still held as a prospect by Cleveland at least at this point. 2008 will be a very important year for Crowe who has to keep improving lest he become the next Lubanski(A former high 1st rounder).....unwanted by his own team and not thought highly enough to be given a shot by the other 29 teams. That is why I still would pick Crowe over Lubanski. By the way nobody but the most optimistic prognosticators thought Josh Hamilton would make Cincy's roster out of spring training let alone make an impact in the big leagues with his bat. The reason Hamilton was selected was because a team felt he had a lot of potential despite not playing above A-ball for four years. Again this lack of potential is why Lubanski was left unprotected and not drafted.

:-b
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby garf112 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:49 pm

cardinal1975 wrote:I can understand always liking a player, but it comes down to whether KC likes him. If they do not care if he is picked in a rule 5 draft I am inclined to believe they do not think highly of him. I believe Dayton Moore is a fairly good evaluator of talent and it seems he does not care whether Lubanski remains on the roster or not. No other GM felt Lubanski had the type of talent worth a rule 5 pick. But for a minute let's be serious. The KC farm is not exactly set ablaze with talent(as is also the case with the big league club)so why would a team like KC, who would control Lubanski 5 years after he gets to the big leagues, give up a guy that will be a 20hr 80rbi guy for nothing. I mean they are hanging onto Ryan Shealy and Ross Gload for goodness sakes. This means they must think Gload and Shealy are better or have a better chance of reaching their potential than Lubanski. I just do not see how if Lubanski has all of this talent the KC Royals(not the Yankees, Red Sox, or another team with a deep talented farm system)would give him away for nothing....and more suprising is that NO OTHER TEAM WANTED HIM! He may be the nicest guy in the world, but when KC(in the state they are in)does not care if you are there maybe you do not project well as a player.

seriously, i could care less what all of the GMs in MLB think of the guy. i could also care less how nice he is. IMO, the kid is a better player than the Royals current CF. You can Rule 5 me to death, but I'm not changing my opinion on the guy.

and to answer your question of why they would give up a guy like lubanski for nothing, obviously they have a different opinion of him than i do. (DUH!)
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby cardinal1975 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Just so I get this straight.....you know more than the thirty GM's, scouts, and people who get paid to watch these players and make evaluations? Impressive to say the least. I am no DeJesus fan, but he is a solid average major league CF on a mediocre team. Again this was about talent and potential. By the way no scouts believe Lubanski can play CF....he has limited range and is an average corner OF at best defensively. The experts who know and watch this guy can can write about his talent potential and you do not have to accept it. Global warming, a failing ecomony, and inflation may not be happening either if I choose to believe otherwise. ;-)
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Postby garf112 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:30 pm

you got it right. thanks for listening. i was using a bit of hyperbole as Lubanski is not a CFer, but he is a far better hitter than DeJesus. He will be a better hitter than Teahen, too. yes, i think i know more than most GMs, actually. otherwise, i wouldn't have made that statement. It's the reason why Billy Beane looks so smart all the time. And why guys like Carlos Pena, Jack Cust and the likes "come out of nowhere" when really they just weren't given a chance. It's the reason why, even though he was the Nationals best hitter last year, Ryan Church didn't have a full-time job. It's the reason why Jacque Jones has a full-time job when Marcus Thames doesn't. /end rant.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball