1 - Chris Parmelee
2 - Kyle Drabek
3 - Trevor Crowe
4 - Dellin Betances
5 - Jeremy Jeffress
6 - Jordan Walden
7 - Jordan Schafer
8 - Fautino De Los Santos
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chris Lubanski

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:11 pm

I don't think Lubanski will ever produce much, but I'd pick him up and drop Crowe.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby cardinal1975 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:04 pm

I do not think Crowe has much upside, but Lubanski has less. He is a 4th OF at best. He can not even crack a poor OF in Kansas City let alone do enough to warrant a callup. KC left him exposed in the rule 5 draft and surprise....no takers. Do not waste your time or waiver priority. ;-D
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:16 pm

cardinal1975 wrote:I do not think Crowe has much upside, but Lubanski has less. He is a 4th OF at best. He can not even crack a poor OF in Kansas City let alone do enough to warrant a callup. KC left him exposed in the rule 5 draft and surprise....no takers. Do not waste your time or waiver priority. ;-D

Well the only thing Crowe has going for him is SB's, maybe 20-30 w/ full playing time. But he's been pretty bad at higher levels like AA, at 23 you would hope for something better than .259/.341/.353. Also when you say there were no takers for Lubanski, it's not a surprise though you say it more as proof that he isnt good (he's not great, but he is a decent/solid prospect). He wasn't picked up cause if he was he would of had to be on a big league roster, and really it would just be a waste of everyones time. He needs to get more minor league experience. He hit better at 21 and 22 in AA than Crowe has at 23 and has shown improvements, it's not totally out of question that he could put it together in the next few years and become a nice solid outfielder (though the odds are against it).

So it's relly a question of you do want a guy who has shown no avg but can run a bit, or a former top pick who has progressed some over the past 2 years and still shows some projection. I can find OF's who run a bit for cheap quite a bit, so that's why I said I'd give Lubanski a shot
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby cardinal1975 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:02 pm

I do not think who hit better at 21 or 22 is much of an issue. Lubanski has proven he can't be more than an average AAA OF. He has already failed. He may get a chance to play for a really bad team in a few years and do a good impression of Emil Brown from 2005-2007, but what does that mean in the grand scheme of things. Crowe hit well over .300 in the 2nd half of 2007 and has usefullness as a steals guy at worst. Lubanski does nothing well.....his power is subpar, he does not hit for a high average, he does not run well, and he strikes out at an alaming rate. I will always take the prospect learning on the way up as opposed to the former prospect who has shown why he is no longer a prospect.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:00 am

cardinal1975 wrote:I do not think who hit better at 21 or 22 is much of an issue. Lubanski has proven he can't be more than an average AAA OF. He has already failed. He may get a chance to play for a really bad team in a few years and do a good impression of Emil Brown from 2005-2007, but what does that mean in the grand scheme of things. Crowe hit well over .300 in the 2nd half of 2007 and has usefullness as a steals guy at worst. Lubanski does nothing well.....his power is subpar, he does not hit for a high average, he does not run well, and he strikes out at an alaming rate. I will always take the prospect learning on the way up as opposed to the former prospect who has shown why he is no longer a prospect.

How has Lubanski who is just turning 23, proven he can't be anything more than an average AAA hitter? And yes, it does matter who hits better at the same level at a younger age, not sure how you can say it doesn't. Your right Crowe did hit about .310 for 2 months at the end of the season, but also sucked it up for 3 months to begin and another month plus last year. It's nice he showed some progression but for his age it's not the most inspiring, that he needed 4 months to adapt to AA. Lunbanski has shown he can hit for good avg in the minors .301 - .282 - .295 and shown enough power w/ his body type to think he could hit more down the road. As for his strike out rate, it's really not alarming as you make it out to be: 2005: 4.05ab - 2006: 4.33ab 2007: 5.60ab. He had troubles in his adjustment to AAA but you can see has been making steady progression. Brandon Wood's K/rate is alarming, not really Lubanski's.

Anyways the way I see Lubanski has a small chance to turn into something, while Crowe has less of a chance and I see him mainly as a SB guy. If you show me something where Crowe can develope into more, please do ... I however don't see it. I don't think there is a huge different in these prospects, but I'll take the chances with the guy who I think has potential to do more than just run.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jwhands » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:58 am

I would keep Crowe over Lubanski. Crowe was battling injuries last year and had a down season, and I believe that he will have a rebound this year. Lubanski does have some talent, but where will he fit in with the Royals plans? What position would he be able to play in KC in order to get the at bats to produce as a solid fantasy player? In my opinion, there are more questions with fitting Lubanski in a big league spot than Crowe. I would keep the same roster if I were you.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:36 am

Bahhh....neither will provide much usefullness in fantasy leagues, IMHO. Not a decision I would lose much sleep over really.

With that said i would also take Lubanski over Crowe.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:49 am

cardinal1975 wrote: Lubanski has proven he can't be more than an average AAA OF. He has already failed. He may get a chance to play for a really bad team in a few years and do a good impression of Emil Brown from 2005-2007, but what does that mean in the grand scheme of things.
How has he already failed? He's only had 168 AB in AAA and it isn't like he is over the hill, he's 22.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby cardinal1975 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:12 pm

Lubanski was not protected by KC for the rule 5 draft. They left him off the 40 man roster thereby allowing any team this winter to have picked him up for a small amount of cash. If any of the other 29 teams felt he was a good prospect I believe they may have drafted him. It is very telling of KC's opinion of him as a player that they would have exposed him to the rule 5 draft and even more telling that NO other team wanted him. If he has such a solid upside someone surely would have taken a chance(ex. St. Louis with Brian Barton OF Clev.)

"He wasn't picked up cause if he was he would of had to be on a big league roster, and really it would just be a waste of everyones time. He needs to get more minor league experience." as was written by Hybrid.

This statement simply does not hold water(I do agree that it would be a waste of time though). Dan Uggla had only played at AA before being picked by Florida. Major leagues teams will always select talent regardless in the rule 5 draft(remember Josh Hamilton). It only makes sense. The team aquiring the draft pick gets to try him out in Winter ball and spring training and if at that point they do not believe the pick will make the major league roster they have to offer the pick back to the original team for half of the amount they paid. The team drafting loses nothing other than a $50,000 speculative investment that if they hit on every 3-5 years will easily recoup that money back. The reason Lubanski was left unprotected and was THEN not selected is because KC did not care if they lost him and the other 29 teams did not want him for the 3-4 month tryout.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball