Derrek Lee's dismal Spring - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Derrek Lee's dismal Spring

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Derrek Lee's dismal Spring

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:00 pm

He's a sexy pick for a big rebound year. He hits in a pretty good lineup that figures to score plenty of runs. He's recovered from his broken wrist. He plays half his games in Wrigley.

Yeah, he's not going to be the #1 1B ever again, but he'll be fine in most leagues. Don't worry about it.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:04 pm

I have him at roughly 100 R, 30 HR, 95 RBI, 5 SB, .300 AVG. I think the first half power loss last year was the wrist healing and the second half power surge is more for real. I took him at the end of the 3rd round in a 14 team draft and was fine with it. He is batting 3rd in what should be a good lineup and in a hitters park, hard to completely fail when you are in that situation.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:12 pm

Ender wrote:I have him at roughly 100 R, 30 HR, 95 RBI, 5 SB, .300 AVG. I think the first half power loss last year was the wrist healing and the second half power surge is more for real. I took him at the end of the 3rd round in a 14 team draft and was fine with it. He is batting 3rd in what should be a good lineup and in a hitters park, hard to completely fail when you are in that situation.

Pretty much, but I can expect the same numbers from James Loney and he's going 13 rounds cheaper. ;-7 I mean Loney's having an OK Spring, right?

I also think the wrist continuing to heal was an impediment for Lee's power from the get-go. For a severe wrist injury, it usually takes a year and a half for it to heal fully and a strong September is indicative of a return to his usual form of 30-35 HR and a .300+ BA.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:20 pm

But I don't believe James Loney will put up those numbers, in fact I project him to fall short of that in all 5 categories.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Ender wrote:But I don't believe James Loney will put up those numbers, in fact I project him to fall short of that in all 5 categories.

Why you think this?
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:41 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
Ender wrote:But I don't believe James Loney will put up those numbers, in fact I project him to fall short of that in all 5 categories.

Why you think this?

Well first off I don't think he breaks 20 HR much less 30 and the AVG isn't fully supported by his stats. I think he sits in the .290 AVG, 15-20 HR range with a few SB. His OBP won't be high enough to project 100 R. 95 RBI is the most doable of the stats.

Loney is not one of 'my guys'.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:42 pm

Ender wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:

Why you think this?

Well first off I don't think he breaks 20 HR much less 30 and the AVG isn't fully supported by his stats. I think he sits in the .290 AVG, 15-20 HR range with a few SB. His OBP won't be high enough to project 100 R. 95 RBI is the most doable of the stats.

Loney is not one of 'my guys'.

Exactly. Loney should be what Casey Kotchman wants to be.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:45 pm

hot4tx wrote:What are we talkin' about here? Spring training?

Spring training???

Spring training? It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about spring training. We're sitting here, and he's supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about spring training. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about spring training, not a regular season game, not a playoff game, not a game, but we're talking about spring training. Not the game that he goes out there and die for and play every game last it's his last but we're talking about spring training man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about spring training. We're talking about spring training man. We're talking about spring training. We're talking about spring training. We're not talking about the season. We're talking about spring training. When you come to the field, and you see him play, you've seen him play right, you've seen him give everything he's got, but we're talking about spring training right now.

Hey I hear you, it's funny to me to, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about spring training man, we're not even talking about the season, when it actually matters, we're talking about spring training.

awesome. ;-D ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Add one more vote for a sarcasm bar for the Cafe. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:22 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:

Add one more vote for a sarcasm bar for the Cafe. ;-D

yes we definitely need one
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers