Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:10 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
knapplc wrote:I have grave concerns about locating such a wealthy jewel in such a politically unstable region of the world. Dubai is tiny, has no defense forces to speak of, and has immense wealth. What's to stop anyone from jumping in and taking over, a la Kuwait? There's no way I would go over there unless that whole region of the globe got a LOT more stable.


Because they are building a economy based on tourism. I don't think too many people want to visit a country under military occupation.

If you are interested in more about Dubai check this out.
http://www.dubai-architecture.info/DUB-GAL1.htm



They also have very, very favorable business and banking laws, so a lot of companies (from other countries) are moving there, or at least establishing a presence there.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
knapplc wrote:I have grave concerns about locating such a wealthy jewel in such a politically unstable region of the world. Dubai is tiny, has no defense forces to speak of, and has immense wealth. What's to stop anyone from jumping in and taking over, a la Kuwait? There's no way I would go over there unless that whole region of the globe got a LOT more stable.


Because they are building a economy based on tourism. I don't think too many people want to visit a country under military occupation.

If you are interested in more about Dubai check this out.
http://www.dubai-architecture.info/DUB-GAL1.htm

8-o
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:24 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
knapplc wrote: What's to stop anyone from jumping in and taking over, a la Kuwait?

I don't think too many people want to visit a country under military occupation.


That's what's going to stop someone from overwhelming Dubai militarily? The concern that tourism would fall?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:29 pm

knapplc wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
knapplc wrote: What's to stop anyone from jumping in and taking over, a la Kuwait?

I don't think too many people want to visit a country under military occupation.


That's what's going to stop someone from overwhelming Dubai militarily? The concern that tourism would fall?


Who would invade it? The Saudis, who desperately need America's support? Iran would have to march through a few thousand American soldiers in Iraq.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:43 pm

knapplc wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
knapplc wrote: What's to stop anyone from jumping in and taking over, a la Kuwait?

I don't think too many people want to visit a country under military occupation.


That's what's going to stop someone from overwhelming Dubai militarily? The concern that tourism would fall?


All I'm saying is that if the majority of the economy is based on tourism then that cannot be captured by an invading country. Nothing would be gained by attacking. Besides as a member of the League of Arab states, UAE is allied with most of it's neighbors. The notable exception being Iran. And in the case of Iran you can bet the U.S. would get involved.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 291)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:All I'm saying is that if the majority of the economy is based on tourism then that cannot be captured by an invading country. Nothing would be gained by attacking. Besides as a member of the League of Arab states, UAE is allied with most of it's neighbors. The notable exception being Iran. And in the case of Iran you can bet the U.S. would get involved.

True. But Iran isn't exactly known for their logical decisions (see: hostages). That's mostly who I was thinking of, but excluding Iran, the whole region is hardly what I would consider stable. Certainly an area like Dubai, that caters to Westerners, would have to be a target of terrorism at some point I would think. And flying there would be an adventure as well.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:00 pm

Go Death Star! ;-D

/threadjack
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:12 pm

knapplc wrote: And flying there would be an adventure as well.



That is actually a stop over on a lot of flights to India from the US east coast.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:42 pm

to me, it seems the city is built with spectacular and lavish designs, and a ton of ridiculous things, like skyscrapers with pools/tennis and courts on the rooves etc...i dont know much about the city, but to me it just seems like they're not spending their money all that intelligently, and when the oil runs out, then what? i dont know if the tourism factor would keep the city afloat.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:58 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:to me, it seems the city is built with spectacular and lavish designs, and a ton of ridiculous things, like skyscrapers with pools/tennis and courts on the rooves etc...i dont know much about the city, but to me it just seems like they're not spending their money all that intelligently, and when the oil runs out, then what? i dont know if the tourism factor would keep the city afloat.

It is like thedude posted earlier. Dubai has become very attractive for other businesses. The company I work for has it's Middle East HQ in Dubai and it services India, Pakistan, the Middle East and all of Africa.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 291)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact