Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:32 pm

Please note this entire thread is a joke. No offense is meant.

Ok, so I'm looking through pictures of the world's tallest building which is being built in Dubai. In turn, I started looking at all the other architectural masterpieces going up there. You can see some of these designs here. As it turns out, they are building the damn Death Star in the Middle East!!

Clearly this is the dreaded Death Star we all know and love from Star Wars right?

Now, some may say I'm being silly, and that the structure is obviously based on Panasonic's transistor radio from the 1970's.

And they'd have a good argument, until you see this clip of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia arriving at Buckingham Palace to meet with the Queen. Recognize the music?

8-o 8-o

OMG . . . the Arabs are going to blow up the Earth and take over the Galactic Senate!!! We've got to do something!

:-D

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Real Life Death Star - They're Out To Get Us!!

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Nice post. That's a really neat-looking building. I'd love to see that thing in person. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:59 pm

Dubai is a really fun city and beautiful city. It has all of the top end stores and restaurants like New York and Paris. The residents are pretty nice to Americans too.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:02 pm

I'd love to visit Dubai someday. Not sure I'll get to it though. Looking at the proposals for what downtown will look like when all is said and done is amazing. Seems they have an endless supply of money over there.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:06 pm

JRM4833 wrote:I'd love to visit Dubai someday. Not sure I'll get to it though. Looking at the proposals for what downtown will look like when all is said and done is amazing. Seems they have an endless supply of money over there.

Until 2015 when the oil runs out, that is. That's why they're building like crazy over there - they know their natural oil reserves will be tapped out soon, and they're trying to develop an economy that's not oil-based so they can keep living after the oil is gone.

I have grave concerns about locating such a wealthy jewel in such a politically unstable region of the world. Dubai is tiny, has no defense forces to speak of, and has immense wealth. What's to stop anyone from jumping in and taking over, a la Kuwait? There's no way I would go over there unless that whole region of the globe got a LOT more stable.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:24 pm

It's crazy how architecture is starting to reflect science fiction two decades old. Not just the Death Star (which is hilarious btw) but all of those buildings look like something out of Blade Runner and other movies.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:40 pm

knapplc wrote:
JRM4833 wrote:I'd love to visit Dubai someday. Not sure I'll get to it though. Looking at the proposals for what downtown will look like when all is said and done is amazing. Seems they have an endless supply of money over there.

Until 2015 when the oil runs out, that is. That's why they're building like crazy over there - they know their natural oil reserves will be tapped out soon, and they're trying to develop an economy that's not oil-based so they can keep living after the oil is gone.

I have grave concerns about locating such a wealthy jewel in such a politically unstable region of the world. Dubai is tiny, has no defense forces to speak of, and has immense wealth. What's to stop anyone from jumping in and taking over, a la Kuwait? There's no way I would go over there unless that whole region of the globe got a LOT more stable.

Is it really expected by 2015?

Also, I just remembered that Tiger Woods is building some sort of world class golf resort over there as well.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:50 pm

knapplc wrote:I have grave concerns about locating such a wealthy jewel in such a politically unstable region of the world. Dubai is tiny, has no defense forces to speak of, and has immense wealth. What's to stop anyone from jumping in and taking over, a la Kuwait? There's no way I would go over there unless that whole region of the globe got a LOT more stable.

Because they are building a economy based on tourism. I don't think too many people want to visit a country under military occupation.

If you are interested in more about Dubai check this out.
http://www.dubai-architecture.info/DUB-GAL1.htm
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:58 pm

knapplc wrote:

I thought about that too, but I guess I like exotic places and Dubai is one of my top 5 cities to visit in the short run. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:59 pm

We just watched a show about three days ago about building the Palms islands, and that's what they said on the show, but I can't find a link about oil running out in 2015 now. So maybe they were wrong? Who knows.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk