Behind in the Count moving to MLB.com - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Behind in the Count moving to MLB.com

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Behind in the Count moving to MLB.com

Postby heyrook_nicepiece » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Hey everyone

Thank you all for taking the time to read my stuff and provide me feedback, its been extremely helpful as I try to improve my writing. I just wanted to write quickly and let you all know that MLB.com has signed me up as a writer and my new column "Welcome to the Show" will appear in its fantasy section each week, starting on Friday. I will still be posting in the forums and seeking advice, but "Behind in the Count" will be put on hiatus for now. Thank you all for reading, I really appreciate it. I hope you will continue reading about my quest to learn about the game at http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/index.jsp from here on out.

Thank you again (and a special thanks to the admins at the Cafe for running my stuff in the first place). The Cafe is a wonderful place and I look forward to continuing to participate in the forums
- Toby
heyrook_nicepiece
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Behind in the Count moving to MLB.com

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Nice, hope the new gig works out for you in the Fifth Avenue apartment called MLB.com. ;-D

I'm also hoping my new blog takes off like yours instead of that dingy old place called Roto Database. I mean, who wants to be stuck writing to a madman Padres fan and just, well, an ordinary, run-of-the-mill...Mets fan. ;-) :-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby heyrook_nicepiece » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks a lot. Here is the first column if you want to get it a read. Tell you friends!

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/article. ... &fext=.jsp
heyrook_nicepiece
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Cafe Writer

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Just curious - are you being paid to write for MLB.com?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:12 pm

knapplc wrote:Just curious - are you being paid to write for MLB.com?

considering it says "special to mlb.com" i would assume that he was not, or he was getting a small stipend for each article, but since hes not an mlb.com writer, i doubt he would be making any sort of salary.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:

considering it says "special to mlb.com" i would assume that he was not, or he was getting a small stipend for each article, but since hes not an mlb.com writer, i doubt he would be making any sort of salary.

That's why I'm going to wait for him to answer. ;-)
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Field » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:26 am

Seems like it has the potential to be a decent column. In your article you mention that your league is deciding between Roto and H2H, has there been any decision on that front yet? Roto is definitely the purest form of fantasy baseball so if you really want to get a good sense of the game and it's marathon nature I would go with that route. That said, I think a H2H league might make your column more interesting. With a H2H league there is a more tangible winner and loser on a weekly basis which is something all baseball fans are familar with, similar to normal baseball standings. Plus, you can have your weekly vent paragraph about how Jack Cust hit 5 HRs for your opponent to carry him to victory.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:44 am

knapplc wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

That's why I'm going to wait for him to answer. ;-)

yeah im curious to his answer as well. :-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby heyrook_nicepiece » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:09 pm

Thanks for reading everyone. Fields, i think that is solid analysis. I'm pretty sure we are going to go with H2H for the exact reasons you listed (more familiar to people and easier to write about each week). Thanks for the comments.

As to the other question, I'm not receiving any compensation. I just really like to write and maybe it will turn in to something down the road. I'm very grateful to anyone who provides me a forum for writing and I'm happy in my day job, so money wasn't really a factor.

Thanks again for reading, if you liked it, please send it to your leaguemates. I'm guessing the more people that read it, the better the chance it will turn into something sooner rather than later.
heyrook_nicepiece
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Cafe Writer

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:23 am

Well, paying gig or not, I hope you have fun over there. Maybe if your'e lucky it'll turn into some income for you in the future.

Good luck with the column. ;-D ;-D
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk