Red Sox vote not to go to Japan (coaches not being paid) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox vote not to go to Japan (coaches not being paid)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Red Sox vote not to go to Japan (coaches not being paid)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:30 pm

Rotundor wrote:Listening to ESPN feed, it seems that the players thought their familys would be taken care of if hey went on the 19 day road trip with the Sox but apparently the plane has been downsized etc.

So it's not only the money for coaches thing; Varitek claims that they have been skimming stuff off the contract from the beginning.

Not a surprise since Selig is such a tard
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:32 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Rotundor wrote:Listening to ESPN feed, it seems that the players thought their familys would be taken care of if hey went on the 19 day road trip with the Sox but apparently the plane has been downsized etc.

So it's not only the money for coaches thing; Varitek claims that they have been skimming stuff off the contract from the beginning.

Not a surprise since Selig is such a tard

Exactly what I was thinking: this has his stink all about it.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm

"I'm so super proud of this team," Lowell said, according to the Globe.

bwhahwhahwhahwahwahhwhwah "SUPER PROUD!" thats all the proof I need about Red Sox nation
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Red Sox may refuse go to Japan

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Steve-o wrote:
Yoda wrote:
thedude wrote:The reason they don't want to go is in because of the coaches. If MLB pays the coaches they go. Francona tried to resolve the issue without going public, but that did not happen. So now they are doing what they need to do to help the guys who do not make much money per year.

Compared to who? I'm willing to bet that MLB coaches are in the 99% in terms of household income.

I'll take that bet. The top 1.5% is 250K+. Check here. While Francona makes 4M/yr, Joe Schmoe assistant pitching coach probably makes closer to 100K. Plus, the Athletics are notoriously cheap with their coaches. I bet more than half fall outside the top 1.5% (Cot's only has the manager for Oak, and he makes 500K).

OK let's pretend that all coaches make $100k a year. Are you saying that they deserve a 40% bonus to go overseas for a week?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Russell James » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:43 pm

Why is everyone taking it so personal?

This is part of the business. If MLB promised some of the managers 40K for going then the MLB should deliver what they promised. If not, then the deal is off. That is normal business practice isn't it?

I work in Sales and I know that if I promised a client advertising time in exchange for money and took the money, yet skimmed on some of the advertising then the client would be pretty pissed off at me and probably not deal with me again.

The same principle applies here. That's how I see it at least.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:43 pm

I'll reserve total judgment on this until MLB's side of the story comes out, but the players are adamant that these numbers were agreed upon prior to their commitment to play in Japan. If that's the case and they had a deal, and MLB is reneging on that deal, then I think this is great that they're essentially going on strike to support their staff.

Again, judgment has to be tempered by the one-sided nature of this story, but at this point this seems right to me.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:45 pm

Yoda wrote:OK let's pretend that all coaches make $100k a year. Are you saying that they deserve a 40% bonus to go overseas for a week?

What does the amount have to do with anything? That's completely irrelevant to the conversation. The fact is that the players allege that this was an agreed-upon amount. If MLB got the Sox to play in Japan by promising this money, they should pay up. It doesn't matter if they promised $40 or $40,000.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:46 pm

I can understand this if it is all in writing, but maybe the Sox just misunderstood(or misremembered) or assumed what their contract was. If it really is about the money, I don't think it would be that hard for some of the top players to pool together enough money to give the coaches and trainers $40K each.

As an aside, the best part is Theo trashing the Yankees a couple weeks ago about complaining about having to go to Japan. :-b
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:46 pm

knapplc wrote:
Yoda wrote:OK let's pretend that all coaches make $100k a year. Are you saying that they deserve a 40% bonus to go overseas for a week?

What does the amount have to do with anything? That's completely irrelevant to the conversation. The fact is that the players allege that this was an agreed-upon amount. If MLB got the Sox to play in Japan by promising this money, they should pay up. It doesn't matter if they promised $40 or $40,000.

key word: alleged
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tgalv » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:47 pm

maybe you have a blindfold over your eyes. the 40k for coaches was supposedly agreed upon by MLB. the coaches for the yankees and devil rays were paid last year. when francona was on the A's staff, he was set to be paid before their Japan trip was called off. what does how much they make have to do with this? it's like you want to be all robin hood because terry francona makes more money than you, but then the person you are conversely defending is the billion dollar entity of major league baseball.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers