Jacoby - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jacoby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jacoby

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:14 pm

don't they have 3 HR limits....oh...wait...that's softball...i did that once, for some reason my teammates made me do 3 beer bongs in a row after that game, i guess it was because three homeruns have never been done in a game before....i wonder if that's true? after three beer bongs, i wonder..........
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:24 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Jacoby with HR numbers 2 and 3 tonight here on April 22. He's also now scored 18 runs, hit 9 RBIs and stolen 8 bags. All this in only 67 plate appearances (51 ABs, 13 BBs), as he had been semi-platooning with Coco Crisp. Most regulars are in the 85-95 range for PA.

Even at his current platoon rate, which is very unlikely to continue, he's projected out to roughly:
425 PA, 130 Runs, 60 SB, 23 HRs, 65 RBIs, .295 BA, 95 BBs.

He won't be able to keep up his current rate of performance, but at the same time he's likely to end up with closer to 600 PA so in the end he might not be that far off a lot of those numbers. Obviously he's unlikely to hit more than 10-15 HRs, but all the other numbers are attainable.

In the preseason, I said I thought he had a good shot at 40 SBs and 120 runs and 10 HRs with a .300+ average. So far, so good.

I also thought Ellsbury wouldn't seriously split time with someone so irrelevant as Coco Crisp. Hopefully this night sends Crisp, even when he's healthy, to the bench until they sub out Manny for a defensive switch.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:34 pm

I love how Tacoby Bellsbury's swing looks like a copy of Beltran's ;-D
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The_Natural » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:49 pm

I prefer my FA pickup of Kapler before he got hurt. ;-D
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TB28 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:07 am

I drafted Ellsbury and reaping the rewards thus far, 2nd in my H2H league. My league is 8 team 6x6 and people that talk about mid round steals are correct.

10th round-Felix Hernandez
11th round-Adrian Gonzalez
13th round-Ben Sheets-leveraged him in a deal for Carl Crawford
15th round-Manny Corpas-leveraged him in a deal for Carl Crawford
16th round-Ellsbury
17th round-Loney-leveraged him in that Crawford deal
18th round-Wang-leveraged him in a deal for Webb
19th round-Chamberlain
20th round-Soto
21st round-Butler
22nd round-Lowe
23rd round-Upton

It's all relative considering those positions are in an 8 team league but some of those guys shouldn't have lasted that let eg. Soto, Upton.
TB28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:10 am

Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff wrote:Every day you see this kid, you ask yourself, "Who is he? Haven't I seen him before?"

His speed, his demeanor . . . is he Johnny Damon? Maybe, but he has a better arm and he might have more speed.

When he hits home runs and plays a good center field and runs, is he Grady Sizemore? What an excellent finished product that would be.

The emerging power and offensive ability . . . Bernie Williams? Maybe, but this kid can steal far more bases.

"A little Damonesque," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "He has the ability with two strikes to throw that emergency hack on you and stay alive. He has shown the ability to hit the ball out of the park. He can change the game with his legs."

Yes, he is all that.

For now, we may just have to be satisfied with the fact that he's Jacoby Ellsbury, and on nights like this, when he strokes two homers, ignites the winning rally with a bunt, and scores from first in the eighth on a double, maybe Ellsbury is better than the aforementioned center fielders. Maybe this kid is going to carve his own little place in the game and in Red Sox lore.

Right now, he's more than just a rookie leadoff hitter. He's becoming an event.

When he steps to the plate, you expect something you haven't seen before. When he gets on base, he's a threat to steal. He owns the basepaths.

He has scored a run in each of his last six games and 11 of his last 12. He is hitting .371 over that stretch (13 for 35) with 11 walks.

What does he mean to the Red Sox? Well, they have won 11 straight games when he's scored at least one run. They are 9-1 when Ellsbury is the leadoff hitter.

He led off the bottom of the first inning with a home run off Jered Weaver. His explanation was, "He got 0-and-2 on me quick and then just hung a changeup in the zone and I hit it hard."

In the sixth, on an 0-and-1 pitch from Darren O'Day, "He threw me a slider in the middle of the zone and I was just looking to be aggressive and he left it a little too in and I squared it up."

The second homer gave the Sox a 6-5 lead. But this spectacular night wasn't over.

In a 6-6 game in the eighth, with one out, Ellsbury was facing lefty Darren Oliver. He admitted that he would have loved to hit another home run, but his head told him "to take what the defense gives you."

He noticed first baseman Casey Kotchman playing in on the first pitch. All of a sudden, he saw Kotchman playing back. What does he do? He bunts in a perfect spot between first and second. He creates a situation where nobody is covering first. Base hit. Rally on the way.

Then he's on first base, digging in. He has tremendous speed. He has started his major league career 17 for 17 on steals, eight of them this season. Scot Shields is now on the mound for the Angels, and he knows he has to hold Ellsbury on, or else he's gone.

"My mind-set was, if I get a perfect jump, I'm going to go," said Ellsbury, "and I felt there was no reason to take a risk in that situation, especially if [Dustin] Pedroia gets me over with two outs. I can score from first with David [Ortiz] and Manny [Ramírez].

"We just need one hit. It would have been nice to be on second, but I wasn't going to risk it."

As much as he would have loved to steal, he felt he was able to distract Shields enough that Pedroia got a pitch to hit. Pedroia drove it down the third base line. Ellsbury kept running after an initial hitch and never stopped. He scored the winning run.

"He gets to 2-and-0, and in that situation, he's peeking over," Ellsbury said. "He had focus on Pedroia, but some of it was on myself. At 2-and-0, he's probably going to throw a fastball. He's not going to want to throw that changeup in the dirt and have the ball bounce around.

"Pedroia did a good job being patient. He got that pitch over the plate and drove it."

Ellsbury knows from experience that when there's a fast guy on the basepaths, defenses have to change their ways.

"Just having a guy who can run, maybe you change your signs, your slide step," he said. "I was looking for the perfect jump, but there was no reason to take that risk when you have guys in the lineup behind you who can drive me in from first base."

Francona explained, "They have to respect the way he runs the bases. Pedey gets a ball he can handle, hits the double. The Angels play that way. Our team is not really constructed that way, but we have guys who can do that and we try to use it to our advantage."

Every night you are intrigued. What else can Ellsbury do? What else can he create? Power from the leadoff spot is not something you see very often.

Is he Fred Lynn? Ah, maybe not. But two homers in a game . . . it starts to make you wonder whether this kid could be a power guy with speed.

"I definitely have the swing for it, but I don't try to hit home runs," said Ellsbury. 'They're going to come when they come, but that's the last thing that comes for a young player is the power."

Francona wants to harness the expectations and not create pressure around Ellsbury.

"His big thing is to mature as a player, and he'll grow into whatever type of player he is," said the manager. "A pretty mature young kid, though. He asks questions. He's not afraid to ask questions. He tries to play the game right every day."

He's doing that. As for maturing? Part of Red Sox Nation hopes he never grows up.

Nick Cafardo can be reached at cafardo@globe.com

Rookie makes powerful impression
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:23 am

As long as they have a logjam, he is still going to lose ABs. He will play as long as he is hot but if there are other viable options, managers tend to use them. See: Matt Kemp.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:41 am

Marino's Isotoners wrote:
Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff wrote:...When he hits home runs and plays a good center field and runs, is he Grady Sizemore? What an excellent finished product that would be.

The emerging power and offensive ability . . . Bernie Williams?

....In a 6-6 game in the eighth, with one out, Ellsbury was facing lefty Darren Oliver. He admitted that he would have loved to hit another home run, but his head told him "to take what the defense gives you."

...What else can he create? Power from the leadoff spot is not something you see very often.

Is he Fred Lynn? Ah, maybe not. But two homers in a game . . . it starts to make you wonder whether this kid could be a power guy with speed.

"I definitely have the swing for it, but I don't try to hit home runs," said Ellsbury. 'They're going to come when they come, but that's the last thing that comes for a young player is the power."

Francona wants to harness the expectations and not create pressure around Ellsbury.

He is not really a power hitter. He better not go Corey Patterson and start swinging for the fences.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Field » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:54 am

The most impressive thing he did yesterday was the push bunt he pulled off which led to the game winning run. He's an impressive player and definitely has the swagger to handle playing for the Red Sox.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers