Pick you are already regretting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pick you are already regretting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pick you are already regretting

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Nomarrrrrrrrrr wrote:
interchange wrote:Agree with Tex being a good pick.

For me I'm regretting taking Beltran at 16 (would have taken Peavy or Crawford I think in retrospect).
I'm also regretting debating between Escobar and Shields and then picking Escobar.

Wow those are some bad choices.

Disagree, especially with Beltran. I can see taking Crawford over him, but there's not a chance in hell I'd take Peavy over him. And even then, I don't think Beltran at 16 is a "bad choice." Maybe it would have been safer to take a guy like Crawford, but it's not like he reached for Beltran. That's right about where Beltran should go.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garf112 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:54 pm

pangbones wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
Snacks wrote:Here's one I'm kicking myself over - I took Weeks in RD 7, with Kinlser still on the board. (he was taken with the very next pick) I fell under the Weeks Hype! Should have taken Kinsler or just taken a good pitcher and then taken someone like Hill or a 2B with speed rounds later.

I don't believe taking Weeks from late 6th onwards can ever be a bad idea this year. Yeah he has sore hands now, but will you remember that in October when he has done you proud?
Ignore lasts years avg, he is hitting .260 minimum this year. He is very very capable of putting up 20/30 with 100 runs and a quality OBP/OPS.
Weeks = good pick.

I agree with that!! I got him in round 13 and am LOVING that!! He may never hit for high avg, but he knows how to take a walk, and should score at least 100 runs.

I find it odd to hear everyone talking about how Weeks won't ever hit for average. IMO, the guy could hit .280 easily. He did it in 2006 at 23 years old. He hit .290 lifetime in the minors and was the nation's best hitter in college (hit .500 at Southern, that's right .500). Call me crazy, but I'm putting Weeks down for at least a .270 batting average this year.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 41)

Postby ImTheScientist » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:02 pm

garf112 wrote: how Weeks won't ever hit for average. IMO, the guy could hit .280 easily. He did it in 2006 at 23 years old. He hit .290 lifetime in the minors and was the nation's best hitter in college (hit .500 at Southern, that's right .500). Call me crazy, but I'm putting Weeks down for at least a .270 batting average this year.

CRAZY! Even if he does hit .270 the 350ABs-400ABs he does this in won't be helpful. He is made of glass. So now you have two concerns with Weeks. 1) He is an injury concern 2) Can he hit for AVG.

Not two things I like to gamble on IMO.
ImTheScientist
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Snacks » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:09 pm

ImTheScientist wrote:
garf112 wrote: how Weeks won't ever hit for average. IMO, the guy could hit .280 easily. He did it in 2006 at 23 years old. He hit .290 lifetime in the minors and was the nation's best hitter in college (hit .500 at Southern, that's right .500). Call me crazy, but I'm putting Weeks down for at least a .270 batting average this year.

CRAZY! Even if he does hit .270 the 350ABs-400ABs he does this in won't be helpful. He is made of glass. So now you have two concerns with Weeks. 1) He is an injury concern 2) Can he hit for AVG.

Garf, your right - his college and minor league numbers impressed me, and although I know it's only spring training, the guy is striking out at a worse rate then last year - which I figured was impossible. True, even if he strikes out 180 times he can still hit 270, but at some point the K's scare Yost. I still like him, I love the mix of Speed/Power and his upside is great, I just wonder about taking him before Kinsler. And Scientist is right, his wrists and hands seem to be a real problem.

Snacks
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby colt4523 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:10 pm

I think I have a couple in my 12 team league. Kemp round 8 (really 15th; 7 keepers), Butler round 9, and Jay Bruce round 12. I think after my lineup was full, I just started picking potential studs and might have reached on the above mentioned players. I also shouldn't have waited to pick up Cueto in this league. I drafted him in my 16 team league but took too much time to get him in my 12 team league.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:14 pm

ImTheScientist wrote:

But if he does stay healthy he's got immense potential.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby garf112 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:16 pm

ImTheScientist wrote:

350-400 ABS???

2004- full minor league season (480 ABs)
2005- full season- major and minor league (563 ABs)
2006- injured (360 ABs)
2007- injured (431 ABs)

Tell me how he is only going to have 350-400 ABs? He has had over 400 in three out of his four seasons. Don't get angry about Weeks just because you play in some weak 10 team league with only one middle infield spot. The guy is going to have over 500 ABs and hit 20 HRs with 30 SBs. Pretty darn good production.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Snacks » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Garf, I hope you're right!

I just started another thread, although I probably should have added it this one. How about "picks you regret not making." The Thread is entitled: "Who's Kicking Themselves For Passing On Pujols."

In another league I'm in we had an early draft, about 3 weeks ago and the Pujols injury talk was overwhelming... HE WENT 19TH! I'm actually too embarrassed to say who I picked over him. But at least I wasn't the only one. (okay, Rollins and Ortiz) I just so burned in Fantasy Basketball this year by injuries that I couldn't bare taking a chance in the 1st or 2nd round on a guy who might have his season ended at any time. Ouch!
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ImTheScientist » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:36 pm

garf112 wrote:
ImTheScientist wrote:

350-400 ABS???

2004- full minor league season (480 ABs)
2005- full season- major and minor league (563 ABs)
2006- injured (360 ABs)
2007- injured (431 ABs)

Tell me how he is only going to have 350-400 ABs? He has had over 400 in three out of his four seasons. Don't get angry about Weeks just because you play in some weak 10 team league with only one middle infield spot. The guy is going to have over 500 ABs and hit 20 HRs with 30 SBs. Pretty darn good production.

I didn't know you were in my league :-B

He has injury problems in the past....you have listed his last 4 years. When was the last time he played a full major league season? Never. That is a concern and if you are not concerned you are in denial. I also worry about his strikeouts and his low avg. Through 1140 MLB at bats Weeks is a .249 hitter :(

Since you ask, in my league Weeks went in Round 7 @ pick #77 (12 team league). I went with Howie Kendrick round 8 pick #94. Kendrick also has had injury concerns (but at least he hits) so I backed him up with Aaron Hill at pick #262 in the 22nd round.
ImTheScientist
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:05 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The fact that I actually drafted Rocco Baldelli. I clearly wasn't thinking.

Was this before or after the news?

Both.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers