"Sharing" music - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

"Sharing" music

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Sharing" music

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:10 pm

I started college this year. I've noticed that a lot of people (my roommate, a lot of my friends, etc.) are using **********. I heard of the program in high school but never really looked into it.

It looks like a pretty cool program, download movies, tv shows, or music and just watch them in your leisure. Like all college students I'm being stretched financially and always look for ways to save a buck or two. This would save me a fair amount of money as I wouldn't have to buy Cds or buy/rent movies.

However, the legal issues look troubling. I realize that the program itself isn't illegal, but downloading copyrighted material is. I've heard mixed reports of the costs of being caught - anywhere from $3,000 to $11,000 (this would be devastating) to a few hundred dollars. I haven't yet found a realistic ratio as to how many users actually get caught though.

In your opinion are the benefits worth the risk of using this? Would you recommend I download this program (or another p2p client) or not?

I'm leaning towards not getting it. It seems too risky.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Limewire

Postby LiveForever » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:59 pm

Do you go to the U of M? If so just get *****************. When I lived in the dorms you could download absolutely everything there in literately less then a minute. Its also a lot more "safe" then ************** because its only on the UofM resnet (ie no viruses). Even if you dont go to the U, im sure your school has something similar. ;-D
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm not sure how much we are allowed to talk about this stuff on the board - but I'd advise against it. Ohio State started turning over to the RIAA names of people who were using similar programs on our campus and there have been VERY heavy lawsuits filed. Not worth it at all. I just use youtube searches and MySpace music pages to listen to songs on the computer.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:27 pm

I go to SDSU but I've heard of ************, one of my friends used to go the the U of M and told me about it.

Thanks for the response dclark06999. That's pretty much what I thought was happening, heavy lawsuits are being filed to make examples of some people and use them to instill fear in others. It seems cool, but then again the coolest stuff on the internet is usually illegal.

I'll have to pass on this. I've never been one to steal so even if I could do it without being caught I'm not sure that I would. The potential consequences are just too great.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:14 pm

I'm happy that once I went to college, I couldn't use P2P programs anymore because the dorm line blocked it. ********** was my last one. I use *********** links to get my downloads, really don't want any P2P software on my PC with all the potential risks involved, same with torrents.

I have **************** but I rarely use it and I don't think the RIAA really cares about it.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:03 am

IIRC, one of the members here got caught and got in trouble or something at his university. i don't remember how it turned out though.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:25 am

Gotta lock this up. My apologies, but discussing how to do illegal things of this nature isn't something we can allow on the boards.

Best bet, don't do anything illegal and then there's nothing to worry about.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to General Talk