Thought on Daniel Cabrera? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thought on Daniel Cabrera?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thought on Daniel Cabrera?

Postby Justblaze » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:16 pm

I know I'm probably going to get drilled, but I'm going to talk about him anyway. I have always kept an eye on him every year and he has disappointed every-time thus far. But could this be the year? I think he is a durable enough pitcher to not worry about health, and his stuff is simply outstanding. The only question remains is his erratic control. It's a big problem but I read in another website that:

One morning this week, Cabrera and pitching coach Rick Kranitz reviewed videos of a 2005 stretch when Cabrera pitched well. They decided Cabrera was best when using a more erect delivery that allowed him to use his 6-foot-9 frame to his advantage. "You saw (Cabrera) today," Orioles manager Dave Trembley said. "He never slouched, he never hunched over. He was tall all the time on the mound, and his tempo was very good. He got the ball and threw it. There was not a lot of time between pitches and he was good out of the stretch." The Orioles might be on to something here. If Cabrera can harness his stuff and lower his walks, he could emerge as an elite Fantasy starter. Of course, we've said that for years now. Target him late in Fantasy.

I know it's still a big if, but if he can get control he could be in for decent year with solid Ks. Wins might be lacking though.
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thought on Daniel Cabrera?

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:53 pm

Is his stuff really that outstanding? He cut down on his walks last season and still had a had a 1.54 whip with a .265 BAA. Lefties in particular killed him. I think he is actually grossly over rated and isn't a fantasy option.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby horatio » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:05 pm

I tend to agree; he seems to suck and he plays for the Orioles.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guzman24 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:15 pm

Two Daniel Cabrera threads in the last two days is two too many IMO :-t

Kiddin :-b

Here's the other one:
viewtopic.php?t=328112
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:17 pm

NZ Eff wrote:Is his stuff really that outstanding? He cut down on his walks last season and still had a had a 1.54 whip with a .265 BAA. Lefties in particular killed him. I think he is actually grossly over rated and isn't a fantasy option.

He cut down on the walks but his control was just as bad as ever. It's just that insted of missing off the plate all the time he was missing right down the pipe. He's still got some of the best stuff in the AL. 98 mph fastball and high 80s slider when hes on. With that said i've never owned him and never will. Highly doubt he'll ever have enough control to be relied upon.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:16 pm

horatio wrote:I tend to agree; he seems to suck and he plays for the Orioles.

he's also slightly unstable... !+) :-D That game last year when he thew at Pedroia, man, it was like watching a mad man....oh yeah, he as no value in fantasy as well. The Orioles are awful and he walks like 10 guys per 9... 8-o
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:21 pm

He's also a member of the 3500 pitch club. Stay away... far, far away.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:42 pm

Matthias wrote:He's also a member of the 3500 pitch club. Stay away... far, far away.

Very interesting, especially here...

Now, let's not get carried away here. I'm not telling you to steer clear of Jake Peavy. But I am sending out extreme warning signs for John Lackey and Aaron Harang. Both have made the list two years in a row and nobody has come out of the 3500 club alive after making it for two years in a row.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby swyck » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:56 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Matthias wrote:He's also a member of the 3500 pitch club. Stay away... far, far away.

Very interesting, especially here...

Now, let's not get carried away here. I'm not telling you to steer clear of Jake Peavy. But I am sending out extreme warning signs for John Lackey and Aaron Harang. Both have made the list two years in a row and nobody has come out of the 3500 club alive after making it for two years in a row.

I'd like to see more numbers on the 3500 pitch club before taking it too seriously. I don't think there is enough of a sample size here and the results aren't presented in any organized fashion. Overworking a pitcher is certainly something to worry about, and the numbers I've generally seen for that is 200 IP or more in more then two seasons in a row, or young pitchers exceeding their previous high by 30+.

I'm not saying this is not a good indicator for blowout, just that I want to see a lot more meat around it before I can use it in my draft lists.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers