david price - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

david price

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

david price

Postby dundeeslugger » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:46 pm

When do you guys think he will be called up to the majors?
Will it be September or earlier?

Is there any other stud pitchers in the minors that will make an impact sooner other then Cueto and Kershaw as those have already been drafted?
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: david price

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:10 pm

dundeeslugger wrote:When do you guys think he will be called up to the majors?
Will it be September or earlier?

Is there any other stud pitchers in the minors that will make an impact sooner other then Cueto and Kershaw as those have already been drafted?

I thought september was going to be the earliest, but the talk around the Rays is that if he pitches well in the minors it could be as early as late June or the Allstar break
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mission27 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:53 pm

I think it could be a bit like Lincecum's situation. Hes good enough to dominate and get the call around the all star break.
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:29 am

I don't see anything before a September call up to be honest. I just think Niemann/McGee/Davis get the first shot at the rotation, this could change some with injuries but not to much IMO. You have the top 3 set Kazmir/Shields/Garza after that I think it goes in this order Sonny/whoever wins the 5th job out of ST/Maybe the loser of Edwin-Hammel-Howell get another shot/Niemann/Davis/McGee/Price. The Rays are being much more cautious with their prospects lately, as they are proving even more with Longoria it seems.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:52 am

hybrid wrote:I don't see anything before a September call up to be honest. I just think Niemann/McGee/Davis get the first shot at the rotation, this could change some with injuries but not to much IMO. You have the top 3 set Kazmir/Shields/Garza after that I think it goes in this order Sonny/whoever wins the 5th job out of ST/Maybe the loser of Edwin-Hammel-Howell get another shot/Niemann/Davis/McGee/Price. The Rays are being much more cautious with their prospects lately, as they are proving even more with Longoria it seems.

Before ST I would have agreed with you, but now I really believe they are serious about him being called up early. The thing that seperates him from all those other guys mentioned is that he is already on the 40 man roster and the others aren't. McGee/Davis are said to get a shot at making the rotation out of ST next season. Niemann should get the 5th spot out of this ST, but he won't. I think he will be the first to get a spot, but you could see Price get one too come All-Star break if he is dominating
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:02 am

ST really hasn't changed anything for me, so he can throw harder in relief ... great to know? They've been impressed, which in fact they should be with the #1 overall player in the draft ... if they weren't something would be very wrong. There isn't anything at all to gain from promoting him that quickly, it's best for his development to spend a full season dominating the minors. Unlike the Giants who tossed Lincecum out there, the Rays have plenty of depth and don't need to consider bringing Price up early. So unless Kazmir's injury is more serious, all the starting options suck between #4/5 and possibly options who dont make it to begin with, some injury happens to Davis and/or McGee ... I just dont see it happening. Price isn't going to save the day or make the Rays win a playoff spot, it's just somewhat pointless to rush him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Wrangor » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:32 pm

I have the #1 WW position in my keeper league, and I would like to end up with Price. Is the general consensus that he will be called up atleast in Sept? I don't care when he is called up, I just want to make sure that he is called up, so I don't pass on Kershaw, and then end up with nothing. I want Price more than Kershaw...but i don't want to get burned. Any thoughts?
Wrangor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:49 pm

Wrangor wrote:I have the #1 WW position in my keeper league, and I would like to end up with Price. Is the general consensus that he will be called up atleast in Sept? I don't care when he is called up, I just want to make sure that he is called up, so I don't pass on Kershaw, and then end up with nothing. I want Price more than Kershaw...but i don't want to get burned. Any thoughts?

He should be called up in Sept. if he dominates like everyone thinks he should. That being said if you have a chance to grab Kershaw, don't risk not getting anyone and take him. The difference between them is very small right now and quite a bit of people like Kershaw more. If Price does get called up later, you can possibly just deal Kershaw for him anyways as their value is very similiar.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:37 pm

hybrid wrote:ST really hasn't changed anything for me, so he can throw harder in relief ... great to know? They've been impressed, which in fact they should be with the #1 overall player in the draft ... if they weren't something would be very wrong. There isn't anything at all to gain from promoting him that quickly, it's best for his development to spend a full season dominating the minors. Unlike the Giants who tossed Lincecum out there, the Rays have plenty of depth and don't need to consider bringing Price up early. So unless Kazmir's injury is more serious, all the starting options suck between #4/5 and possibly options who dont make it to begin with, some injury happens to Davis and/or McGee ... I just dont see it happening. Price isn't going to save the day or make the Rays win a playoff spot, it's just somewhat pointless to rush him.

His performance didn't change my mind, I was saying that the sounds coming from the Rays is what made me rethink how they would handle him. I am in complete agreement that he shouldn't be called up before September, I was just giving my observations as to what the Rays could be thinking, that is all. :-/
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:03 pm

Ah ok, sorry if I came off harsh ... dont' dock my friendliness bar. :-o :-b

Anyways I just haven't gotten that impression and I dont think the new owners would be silly enough to change things based on ST IMO.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball