Evan Longoria starting in AAA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Evan Longoria starting in AAA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Evan Longoria starting in AAA

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:46 am

That idea of free agency ignores the idea of the, "Super 2's". Basically, the minor-leaguers who spend less than a full year in the majors, but more time in the majors than 83% of the other rookies (basically, they're in the top 1/6 in time served) have that year count as a year of major-league service. Based upon the (limited) comments I've seen from the Rays, I'd expect they want Longoria to not qualify to be a Super 2 so will send him back down soon. And then bring him back up in June or so.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:27 pm

Matthias wrote:That idea of free agency ignores the idea of the, "Super 2's". Basically, the minor-leaguers who spend less than a full year in the majors, but more time in the majors than 83% of the other rookies (basically, they're in the top 1/6 in time served) have that year count as a year of major-league service. Based upon the (limited) comments I've seen from the Rays, I'd expect they want Longoria to not qualify to be a Super 2 so will send him back down soon. And then bring him back up in June or so.

I am pretty confident in the Rays buying out all of Longoria's arbitration years in the near future, so I don't think "Super 2" plays a role in any money plans. I imagine we see some type of Crawford type contract in the 09 offseason to eliminate any type contractual concerns regarding Longoria.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dorje3 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:55 pm

Is he were a pick up in a 10-team 5x5 h2h, or only in deeper leagues. (I've got MCab at 3rd, so I don't think I'll need him (or will I?).
Just trying to guage how valuable he might be this season.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dixie Twister » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:59 pm

double post
Last edited by Dixie Twister on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base." - Dave Berry
Dixie Twister Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dixie Twister » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:03 pm

Dixie Twister wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
Dixie Twister wrote:
I actually think they will call him up faster.

They told him he could make the team.. he played well enough and then they did gave him a swift kick in the cup.

This does not look like a temper tantrum, it looks like a heart broken kid.

He will be up May 1st.. . They have to before they screw up what is a great franchise player all for their projected bottom line.. Look for a trade very soon to make some room.

I totally disagree with everything you said except for the fact that he should still be up in early May. He did not have the best spring of all the 3B elig guys. (Hinske had a better ST and Aybar had a comparable one) The guy isn't heart broken or throwing a temper tantrum, he is struggling right now. If you saw him in AAA last season he did not light the world on fire either. This had nothing to do with a bottom line, it was about options they had on certain players, keeping him an extra year when they are competing, and letting the guy get better. There won't be a trade to move him, they will demote or release someone to make room

While I do respect your opinion .. if you think bottom line did not enter in to it your mistaken.
.282 Ba
3 Homers
.407 on-base percentage
.595 slugging percentage

Hinske must have rocked the house.. I admit I dont know what he did in spring but if he beat those numbers he was really good.

In spring makes him look damn good compared to hurting Aybar

<---- Look at this face (the one in my avatar), would it lead you astray?
Never doubt a woman's intuition! ;-D ;-D ;-D

I'm just saying
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base." - Dave Berry
Dixie Twister Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:05 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Matthias wrote:That idea of free agency ignores the idea of the, "Super 2's". Basically, the minor-leaguers who spend less than a full year in the majors, but more time in the majors than 83% of the other rookies (basically, they're in the top 1/6 in time served) have that year count as a year of major-league service. Based upon the (limited) comments I've seen from the Rays, I'd expect they want Longoria to not qualify to be a Super 2 so will send him back down soon. And then bring him back up in June or so.

I am pretty confident in the Rays buying out all of Longoria's arbitration years in the near future, so I don't think "Super 2" plays a role in any money plans. I imagine we see some type of Crawford type contract in the 09 offseason to eliminate any type contractual concerns regarding Longoria.

Not to disagree with you... I really don't follow the Rays front office... but, if this is the case, why start him in AAA in the first place? Was Aybar really having a superior spring?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:20 pm

Matthias wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

Not to disagree with you... I really don't follow the Rays front office... but, if this is the case, why start him in AAA in the first place? Was Aybar really having a superior spring?

They never really had any intention of starting him in the bigs. They overstated there plans and they admitted that after the first couple of games on TV.

If this was really about the bottom line, they would have called up Guzman instead of Evan
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates