Yahoo! Johnny Cueto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo! Johnny Cueto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo! Johnny Cueto

Postby 5 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Last year, Lincecum was available before his first start, Phil Hughes was not. Why? I don't know.

Is there a pattern to any of this with Yahoo?
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ImTheScientist » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:31 pm

5 wrote:Last year, Lincecum was available before his first start, Phil Hughes was not. Why? I don't know.

Longoria is going to be sent down to the minors. Shouldn't he be removed?
ImTheScientist
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 5 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:41 pm

ImTheScientist wrote:
5 wrote:Last year, Lincecum was available before his first start, Phil Hughes was not. Why? I don't know.

:-b

It wouldn't surprise me.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:04 pm

ImTheScientist wrote:

Certainly not. Noone is ever removed once they are added. That would make a horrible mess, given that they could already be on existing rosters and so on.

If you are looking for a pattern, I can restate the direction I've stated here multiple times. We don't intend to forcibly add prospects to the game unless they are in high demand and their appearance in the major leagues is imminent. Once the season begins, we'll be even more wary of doing so. Evan Longoria fit both of these descriptions in this pre-season. The whole mention of removing players from the player pool is a complete red herring, as we've never done that, never said we'd do that, and it would cause a total mess if we ever did do that.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 93)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm able to get Cueto on Sportsline... sure is nice.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ImTheScientist » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:02 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
ImTheScientist wrote:

Certainly not. Noone is ever removed once they are added. That would make a horrible mess, given that they could already be on existing rosters and so on.

If you are looking for a pattern, I can restate the direction I've stated here multiple times. We don't intend to forcibly add prospects to the game unless they are in high demand and their appearance in the major leagues is imminent. Once the season begins, we'll be even more wary of doing so. Evan Longoria fit both of these descriptions in this pre-season. The whole mention of removing players from the player pool is a complete red herring, as we've never done that, never said we'd do that, and it would cause a total mess if we ever did do that.

Cueto fits this criteria. I think ESPN also has him listed. I actually believe Yahoo is the only one who does not have him listed. It sure would be nice if he showed up sooner than later ;-)
ImTheScientist
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bstyle » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Genie, its nice to have someone on the inside that is listening to the wants/needs of us common folk.

I understand Yahoo's position but is there any way you could give us cafe members a 24 hour heads up on the addition of Cueto? My league doesn't use waivers and I would love to beat out the competition. Further is there a time of day new additions show up or are they ramndom?
bstyle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:17 pm

ImTheScientist wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
ImTheScientist wrote:

Cueto fits this criteria. I think ESPN also has him listed. I actually believe Yahoo is the only one who does not have him listed. It sure would be nice if he showed up sooner than later ;-)

So I'm going to bow out of this discussion at this point. I'm not going to argue this further for a few reasons:
1) I don't want to :-) My intent here is only to help you understand why things are the way they are, not to convince you that you are wrong, or to win a fight.
2) Even if I was really interested in arguing about it, someone here at Yahoo would say, "Genie, why are you arguing with customers? Stop posting on the Cafe, and write some code." Which I think would be unfortunate.
3) It isn't a good use of your time and energy to try to convince me, because I do not make the decision to force players into the game. I'm just the guy that will actually "make it so" if someone else decides to force a guy into the game.

So here is my last stab at clarifying things...
To put things in perspective, I'd humbly point out that you were just telling me that Yahoo is receiving high demand to add Cueto to the game. There is a slight issue there ;-) Even if I use this thread as one data point amongst the many users of the Cafe, who are one small slice of our many customers, I count two people who want him added, 1 person who doesn't, and a few others who seem relatively neutral. You can search back to last year and find the firestorm that erupted when we broke from habit and proactively pushed a cluster of prospects. There is no right answer as to whether we should or should not "force" prospects into the game early. There are valid arguments to be made on both sides of the coin. SnakesGould peeking in by any chance? I think you were quite vocal in that discussion, and may have a pointer?

You point out that... those other guys have him listed. In general, that doesn't say much about whether we should or should not follow suit. It turns out we have a lot of customers; lots more than any of the other guys. I don't point this out to say, "therefore we don't need to listen to feedback."; far from it. It is more like, "There are a lot of people who pick us, when they could use someone else. If we try to be more like someone else, perhaps we'll make those people angry." The issue that started this discussion is a perfect example; we definitely have the feedback that while some people want prospects added ASAP, others very much do not. So if we start adding them earlier to be more like the other guys, do we make more customers happy, or less?

Finally, someone else asked if I could give a heads up when we're adding Cueto. To clarify again, the answer is probably no, because it is unlikely *we* will add him. Most likely, someone upstream of us receives formal notification that he's officially been given a roster spot, they notify us that he's now official, and the next day he shows up in the game. You guys will likely detect this scenario before I will, because I spend too much time doing my job and not enough researching actual players for my personal teams :-) If someone at Yahoo does decide that we're receiving enough feedback that it justifies adding Cueto before he's been made official, then I probably would have advance notice of that, and I often do mention such things here. If I don't, it is because I'm busy doing my actual job instead of posting here ;-)

Hopefully that clears things up. I can certainly mention that there has been some interest in Cueto, but I suspect that isn't news to the people who actually make such decisions. I'm sure they know there is interest in him; just a question of when it is so glaring that we force the issue and add him. Because again, if we're all certain he's going to get a roster spot, he's going to show up in the game pretty darned soon anyway as soon as he does.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 93)

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:43 pm

This is the real issue.

Genie, I appreciate your feedback and I understand this issue is out of your hands. However, I think there would be much less bickering and complaining if there were some consistency. If everyone knew that Cueto wouldn't be in the system until he pitched, or until he was on the 40man roster, or whatever guideline was set, then no one would complain or feel the need to beg for him to be added.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:50 pm

If he's on the active roster when the season begins then he'll be added soon thereafter. Until then, hold on to your WW priority until he is added if you really want him.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers