Boston or NY- stronger pitching staff? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boston or NY- stronger pitching staff?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Boston or NY- stronger pitching staff?

Postby Piniella » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:22 am

Any takers? I like Martinez-Schilling in a short series: unstoppable. Vazquez and Contreras could be proven aces this year. I wonder if Kim's really gonna start?

Mussina Martinez
Brown Schilling
Vazquez Lowe
Contreras Wakefield
Lieber Kim (?!?)

Quantrill-Gordon Timlin-Williamson

Rivera Foulke
Piniella

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby blankman » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:26 am

Make this a poll and I think it will work better. Also ask for reasons in replies.

Personally I like the Yankee staff. What a surprise? ;-)
Head to head (NYY vs Bos) Mussina will outperform Pedro, especially with Enrique Wilson playing 2B, facing Pedro :-D

Seriously, the top two for the Sox is better, but the next Yankee 3 are overwhelmingly better IMO and on any given day the Yankee top 2 can compete and even outpitch the Boston top 2.

Bullpen- I like the Yankee pen over the Boston pen with the additions of Quantrill, Gordon and the comeback of Karsay
Closer- Give me Rivera with the game on the line over any other pitcher in baseball

Yes I'm biased, but its my honest opinion and the best I can give you.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:28 am

I agree the Yankees are stronger at the Top of the Rotation, but the Yankees have better 3-4-5 starters and a better Bullpen.

I give the nod to the Yanks
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby tlef316 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:28 am

Martinez vs Mussina- Moose is great, but you cant pick against Pedro if he is on his game

Schilling vs Vazquez- vaz has great potential, but schilling is schilling

Lowe vs Brown- you have to give brown the edge if they are both healthy. the yankees always hit lowe

Contreras vs Wakefield- Contreras could be better, but you have to take the proven guy, especially since the yanks dont hit him well

Kim vs Lieber- Lieber is coming off injury, but id take my little brother over kim against the yankees. his personal demons are too much for him

Id take quantill and gordon over timlin and williamson, but for arguments sake ill call it a push

Rivera vs Foulke- foulke is great, but there is no possible way to bet against rivera in the post season(Arizona WS the only exception) Rivera's performance in ALCS game 7 was amazing

Overall

Redsox-3
Yankees- 3
Push-1
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:34 am

i like bostons rotation, but yankee's pen. sure the no.5 for the sox is junk but there is a reason why teams dont put a superstar in the fifth spot - they get skipped in the rotation alot. the east will be alot of fun to watch this year, put it that way!! ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:28 am

Of course I'm going to take NY but for good reason.

Mussina~Martinez---Of course Moose is a great pitcher but hes not Pedro.

Vazquez~Schilling---Schilling as of now but I truly do not believe Schill will put up numbers that everyone is expecting. Still, I'll give it to Schilling.

Brown~Lowe---In my mind Brown takes this easy. 2.39 ERA last year for him but a 4.49 for Lowe. The only reason Lowe won more games is because he played behind the BEST OFFENSE while Brown was behind the WORST OFFENSE.

Contreras~Wakefield---Wakefield isn't that spectacular and Contreras has shown signs of being great. With some experience under his belt now, I give him the nod this season.

Lieber~Kim---No question that is Lieber is better than Kim as long as he's at least 85% healed.

Sox have the 1-2 punch but the rest is tough to match against the Yankees. In fact few teams can match them. The Cubs are the only one I can think of off the top of my head assuming the Yanks are all healthy.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:33 am

ajgdrummer7 wrote:Sox have the 1-2 punch but the rest is tough to match against the Yankees. In fact few teams can match them. The Cubs are the only one I can think of off the top of my head assuming the Yanks are all healthy.

I'd say Oakland starters match them, but not the Oakland bullpen
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:35 am

Pedro v. Moose = Pedro
Schilling v. Vazquez = Schilling (assuming no injuries)
Lowe v. Brown = Brown (assuming no injuries)
Contreras v. Wakefield = Push
Kim v. Lieber = Kim. This last one is the reason that I wrote the post. I think that Kim is dangerously underrated. I think that he's got the stuff to win a Cy Young award. He's got a major league era of 3.25! He's 24 and has been up for 4 years. Last year he won 9 games and saved 16. He's talented.

I think that too many people are looking at Kim's performance during the W.S. when he was 22. He's a solid pitcher and I'd take him over Lieber any day and twice on Sundays.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tool069c » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:54 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Pedro v. Moose = Pedro
Schilling v. Vazquez = Schilling (assuming no injuries)
Lowe v. Brown = Brown (assuming no injuries)
Contreras v. Wakefield = Push
Kim v. Lieber = Kim. This last one is the reason that I wrote the post. I think that Kim is dangerously underrated. I think that he's got the stuff to win a Cy Young award. He's got a major league era of 3.25! He's 24 and has been up for 4 years. Last year he won 9 games and saved 16. He's talented.

I think that too many people are looking at Kim's performance during the W.S. when he was 22. He's a solid pitcher and I'd take him over Lieber any day and twice on Sundays.

I agree, and the bullpens are = if there are no injuries...and assuming rivera goes down...which he will...for a month or so, the sox pen is better...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:00 am

Easily Boston IMO. I'd also put Houston, Oakland, and the Cubs solidly ahead of the Yankees.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers