Josh Fields (3B, OF - CWS) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Josh Fields (3B, OF - CWS)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Josh Fields (3B, OF - CWS)

Postby vlat89 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Any word on this situation? I've heard no new news.
vlat89
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ytorf » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:52 am

This is the latest from Sportsline

News: Joe Crede might just take back his job as the White Sox's third baseman from promising replacement Josh Fields. Fields, though, is not ready to concede anything yet. He singled and scored a run Sunday against the Royals. "I'm trying not to think about (being demoted) right now, actually," Fields said. "I'm preparing to play in Chicago. Until they come to me and say, 'Hey, you are going back to Charlotte,' I'm not going to think about what if." Fields, who has a .268 spring average, has nine hits in his last 21 plate appearances after going 1-for-3 against the Royals. "I feel like I put myself in a good position and hopefully made the decision a little bit tougher," Fields said. "They have a tough decision to make. I think we are all waiting."
Analysis: Fields hit .244 with 23 homers and 67 RBIs filling in for Crede, who had back surgery June 12. But Crede agreed to a one-year, $5.1 million deal in January and he has shown no ill-effects from the surgery even though he is hitting just .159 this spring. No doubt, the White Sox would like to start Fields, who appears ready for everyday at-bats in the majors. But they'll need to find a team willing to take Crede off their hands first. Looks like Fields is ticketed for the minors, at least to start out the season. He's still worth drafting for his power, but you should probably wait until the late rounds.
ytorf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:12 pm

This just in from Yahoo:

Mar 24 Fields is likely headed to Triple-A with the White Sox unable to trade Joe Crede, the Chicago Tribune reports.
Recommendation: Crede has struggled for much of spring but his $5.1 million price tag makes it imperative that he's on the roster. If Fields gets off to a good start at Triple-A you can expect the Sox to test the trade waters for Crede again but it could be another season at Triple-A for Fields once again.

Absolutely ridiculous... :-t
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:35 pm

This is stupid but still rational (strange thought, I know) for Chicago. You need to have Crede out there on the field proving that he can hit so that you can trade him in May or June. Then you bring Fields up and give him the job full-time.

At least, that's what I'm guessing Williams's reasoning is on this issue. Obviously in terms of team success it may be a bit better to have Fields in there instead of Crede (although I'm not sure--Fields doesn't really have that kind of 40 HR pop that he was pacing for last year, and he hits for terrible average).
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Soxcess11 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 pm

unless Joe Crede gets traded within the next 3 days, Josh Fields will be optioned to AAA Charlotte.
Soxcess11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ryno23 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Soxcess11 wrote:unless Joe Crede gets traded within the next 3 days, Josh Fields will be optioned to AAA Charlotte.

Done.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby superslugger616 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Ryno23 wrote:
Soxcess11 wrote:unless Joe Crede gets traded within the next 3 days, Josh Fields will be optioned to AAA Charlotte.

Done.

Yup. According to Sportsline:
News: The White Sox optioned 3B Josh Fields to Triple-A Charlotte and reassigned 2B Jason Bourgeois, RHP D.J. Carrasco and C Paul Phillips to minor league camp.
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:11 am

with owen's injury, why don't they put fields in LF? he played 21 games there last season... is it because they have too many OFs?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby shasty mcnasty » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:46 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:with owen's injury, why don't they put fields in LF? he played 21 games there last season... is it because they have too many OFs?

yeah, in the short term, they've already got Anderson and Quentin...granted, neither may have Fields' power potential, but both would be much better defensively. In the long term, Fields will be the 3B, since Crede won't be here after this year, and Fields' defense at 3B could use some practice, so i think they'd rather have him getting reps at 3B in the minors that forming some sort of platoon in the Of.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates