Ethier/Kemp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ethier/Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ethier/Kemp

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:59 am

This non-commitment to Ethier is killing me a bit. I don't want a part-timer on my bench especially with Carlos Gomez sitting out there as an FA. But I am going to wait this out to see if Ethier gets a full-time gig somewhere soon. He has the goods to help the Dodgers. Moreso than Pierre.

Torre isn't used to position battles. He'll f*** this up. And i agree that the Dodgers can't stomach the contract of Pierre just sitting on the bench.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby rib217 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:41 am

a majority of the last several posts have been about Pierre v. Ethier for the position, is this to say that Kemp has locked down a spot? I hadnt heard or read that but it appears as though he hasnt been mentioned near as much in the competition for play time anymore. insights?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby ROC AllStars » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:11 pm

My feeling is that its Kemp's spot to lose. And I would bank on Either starting in left, Pierre was benched again by Torre, and went something like 0-5 in his last game. He's dejected. Don't look for him to rebound in the next few days enough to win the spot. Just an opinion.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby grammysboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:29 pm

I haven't been able to figure out why the Dodgers don't do something with their extra OF. Lord knows they could use an extra arm for the pen or the rotation and either Pierre or Ethier would be pretty good trade bait for someone looking for a little speed (Pierre) or some power (Ethier). I just hope Torre doesn't make the same kind of play he did in NY and let Bernie Williams play past his prime (I know injuries were involved). Not that either of these players are past their prime, but c'mon Joe give the kid a chance - he's earned it!
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:13 am

grammysboy wrote:I haven't been able to figure out why the Dodgers don't do something with their extra OF. Lord knows they could use an extra arm for the pen or the rotation and either Pierre or Ethier would be pretty good trade bait for someone looking for a little speed (Pierre) or some power (Ethier). I just hope Torre doesn't make the same kind of play he did in NY and let Bernie Williams play past his prime (I know injuries were involved). Not that either of these players are past their prime, but c'mon Joe give the kid a chance - he's earned it!

The Bernie an Pierre situation is not comparable. Bernie was a NY Yankee 4 life. He deserved it.

The Dodgers dont need rotation help.
They need a 3b.
On the others side the White Sox need CF, and they are shopping Crede.
Just a though.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bogey9906 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:The Dodgers dont need rotation help.
They need a 3b.
Just a though.

Gawd, I hope not. I want no part of Crede. I'd rather trade Pierre for pitching and wait for LaRoche to return, or trade both Pierre and LaRoche for a better 3B. Inge would be much better than Crede IMO, since he could be a backup OF as well.
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StringerBell » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:30 pm

I`m a big Kemp fan, but when all the hype is said and done, he still strikes out a whole lot: 20 times in 71 spring at bats.
.....ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40-degree day. ...
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:57 am

Bogey9906 wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:The Dodgers dont need rotation help.
They need a 3b.
Just a though.

Gawd, I hope not. I want no part of Crede. I'd rather trade Pierre for pitching and wait for LaRoche to return, or trade both Pierre and LaRoche for a better 3B. Inge would be much better than Crede IMO, since he could be a backup OF as well.

No team wants to give up pitching.
No starter is available who is any better than what the Dodgers already have.

2. Theres no way that any team would wanna pick up that $36.5 million Pierre is owned the next 4 years.
So you must take what you get.
Crede is in his last arbitration year so the Dodgers still should pay some of Pierre's salary.
But it would save money ansd solve the OF and 3b situation. And Crede has power, that not many Dodger has.
Actually non.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ROC AllStars » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:25 am

I agree, that might be their best option, but then they're stuck with Nomar having no position either... I can't see him displacing Loney at 1B... and they're paying him a fortune, too...
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Bogey9906 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:45 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:1.
No team wants to give up pitching.
No starter is available who is any better than what the Dodgers already have.

2. Theres no way that any team would wanna pick up that $36.5 million Pierre is owned the next 4 years.
So you must take what you get.
Crede is in his last arbitration year so the Dodgers still should pay some of Pierre's salary.
But it would save money ansd solve the OF and 3b situation. And Crede has power, that not many Dodger has.
Actually non.

1. I said I'd rather have pitching, not expecting a starter better than what they already have.

2. Any trade of Juan Pierre would involve the Dodgers paying some of his salary, the only variable is how much. Crede in his current state doesn't offer much more than Nomar or LaRoche after they get back. 25 HR power with a .260 average, IF and when healthy...no thank you.
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates