Ethier/Kemp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ethier/Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ethier/Kemp

Postby JimmyD » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:41 pm

That article is way wrong. Andrew Jones is entrenched in center. Its the wings that will have the situations. I think it will be Kemp in RF and Either/Pierre in LF, with Either getting the slight edge.
JimmyD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:24 pm

I know this thread says "Ethier/Kemp," but since this directly affects the Ethier/Pierre battle, I thought it'd be appropriate here. Found this article on the Dodgers' website and there's a link to the fan forum with some interesting discussion on the situation.

"SPRING REPORT / KANSAS CITY 10, DODGERS 9
Ethier believes he should start for Dodgers
Richard Hartog / LAT
Andre Ethier hit his sixth home run of the spring, tops on Dodgers.
Outfielder has had a productive spring and now must wait to see what Torre decides for his outfield spots.
By Kevin Baxter, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
March 25, 2008

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Joe Torre calls it the toughest decision he has faced all spring. And he may not have it resolved until Monday morning, when he makes out his opening-day lineup.

"Then I'm going to have to write somebody's name down," he said.

At issue is who will start in the Dodgers' outfield, specifically left field, alongside center fielder Andruw Jones and right fielder Matt Kemp.

Andre Ethier says he believes he has done all he can to make Torre's pick a no-brainer, reaching base four times, hitting his National League-leading sixth home run of the spring and raising his batting average to .359 in the Dodgers' 10-9 loss to the Kansas City Royals on Monday.

"It's kind of funny," Ethier said with a smile. "Everyone says 'Let's wait and see what happens in spring training.' But at the same time, some people come back and say 'Well, it's only spring training.'

"I was told to come into spring training and show what I've got. And I did what I was asked. It's management's choice who they're going to put out there."

Ethier's competition for the job, veteran Juan Pierre, is batting .188 with a .253 on-base percentage after reaching base only once in his last 12 at-bats. But Pierre has an established track record, having averaged more than 200 hits, 95 runs and 57 stolen bases over the last five seasons.

But Ethier, 25, has more power, a better arm and will drive in more runs, tools that would make him more valuable off the bench. And that fact, ironically, could wind up costing him the starting job.

"They bring different things to the table," Torre said. "Obviously, Pierre is that guy who's going to put the ball in play. He's going to be a threat on the basepaths."

Torre asked the players to be patient as he searches for a solution, but it hasn't been easy. Monday, Pierre slumped, head down, in front of his locker long after the rest of the team had taken the field. Coaches Bob Schaefer and Larry Bowa went into the clubhouse to talk to Pierre while Torre had a 14-minute talk with Pierre in the outfield during batting practice, then kept him on the bench.

"It's a tough part for the three of us to be in right now," Ethier said.

In addition to Ethier, Rafael Furcal also homered in support of Hideki Kuroda, who gave up three runs and seven hits in 5 2/3 innings.

But the bullpen faltered behind him with Joe Beimel, Ramon Troncoso and Mike Myers giving up six runs in the span of two outs."

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.a ... &tid=89025
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby anti elian » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 pm

I bet Andruw Jones is the one who DESERVES to be benched when this is all said and done.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Wrangor » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:43 am

Jones will be manning CF for 162 games unless he is injured. Here is the breakdown of at bats as I see them

1800 total at bats for the OF

550 Jones
475 Kemp
425 Pierre
350 Ethier

That is my prediction....
Wrangor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Gags Sports » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:21 pm

anti elian wrote:I bet Andruw Jones is the one who DESERVES to be benched when this is all said and done.

What exactly are you basing your comment on? Here are Andruw's spring numbers through today:

48 AB's (16 less than Ethier/Kemp)
8 runs (more than Kemp)
9 RBI's
2 SB's (same as Ethier)
3 HR's (same as Kemp)

Anyone who knows anything about baseball realizes that Jones, Kemp and Ethier should be in the starting lineup on opening day.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby jazzmanljg » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:59 am

Here's the latest from Rotoworld:

Juan Pierre went 0-for-5 and left three men in scoring position in Thursday night's game.

Andre Ethier only went 1-for-4 tonight, but he did have two outfielder assists, which is what Pierre averages every three months. Pierre had a chance to put the Dodgers on top in the top of the ninth tonight, but he followed up a couple of very good at-bats from the eight and nine hitters with a foul popup on a 1-0 count. Pierre is batting .178/.238/.231 in 78 at-bats. It's exactly as bad as he had to play for there to be any reasonable chance of him being benched in favor of Ethier. Perhaps it will happen.

Come on Torre, make the right call!!!!!!!!
Thanks to soty for the great sig!
jazzmanljg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:12 am

I think Torre will bench Pierre at the start of the season, 'til he works on his hitting, and than the platoon will come with Pierre starting more and Either less games, cause Pierre can only be used off the bench as pinch runner.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deutschland » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:23 am

i really think people are overreacting to this whole situation. pierre is just 30 yrs old and in the midst of his prime and has put up super-consistent numbers for several years. i just can't imagine that a slap hitting guy like him has suddenly lost his ability to get hits. he's going through a little spring slump and i would expect him to start doing what he normally does shortly and andre ethier will come back down to earth. things will get back to normal soon.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sandlotshrink » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:51 am

If LA no longer wants/needs him, I think Pierre would look good roaming CF for the Cubbies!
sandlotshrink
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:06 am

sandlotshrink wrote:If LA no longer wants/needs him, I think Pierre would look good roaming CF for the Cubbies!

I just threw up in my mouth :-L :-P %-6 :-{ :-t ...we've tried the Pierre experiment...terrible arm, forget it...i'd much rather have Coco Crisp in CF...

But this thread is about Ethier/Kemp...I would like to see Pierre get traded...with Ethier's spring, he should be the guy, but it's mud in the GM's eye if he has Pierre and his contract sit on the bench.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates