First Year fantasy player, help a brother out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First Year fantasy player, help a brother out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First Year fantasy player, help a brother out

Postby Grind4Mine » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:44 pm

C Brian McCann
1B Derrek Lee
2B Dustin Pedroia
3B Mike Lowell
SS Hanley Ram?rez
CI Scott Rolen
MI Derek Jeter
OF Magglio Ord??ez
OF Willy Taveras
OF Andruw Jones
OF J.D. Drew
Util ?dgar Renter?a

** Orlando Hudson
** Chris Duncan
** Jason Varitek
** Michael Bourn

Pitching

P Justin Verlander
P Mark Buehrle
P Brad Penny
P Roy Oswalt
P Joe Nathan
P Tim Hudson
P Derek Lowe
P Fausto Carmona
P John Maine

5*5 routisseree, 260$ cap....Went in like a deer in headlights, came out satisfied, feel like I can compete, but then again I dont really have a feel cus ive never played before.....Any imput from all you out there that are vets to this shit???? ten team leauge by the way...my outfield blows from what I can tell, but Im deeper at ss then the dominican republic...Do I need another closer???? More HRs? Any imput is appreciated
Grind4Mine
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First Year fantasy player, help a brother out

Postby Grind4Mine » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:49 pm

been thinking a bit, i may shop hanly around a bit...Not sure hes gonna put up the numbers he did last year with a big stick taken outta that lineup....Think i can fill in some pop by getting rid of him and a pitcher.....Just throwing that out there
Grind4Mine
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Grind4Mine » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:42 pm

any input from anyone???

Come on fellas im like a chicken with my head cut off, gimme some direction!!
Grind4Mine
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Torr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:29 am

Well I'll start out with what I see as good. You can generate enough runs to compete, and you have a very good batting average even if Ordonez falls to earth a bit from last year. On the pitching side, you are solid in both Wins and ERA.

Now for what I see as needing improvement. First, for a ten man draft you've got no power. You're basically relying on Ordonez, Ramirez, Andruw Jones, and Derrick Lee as your HR hitters... none of whom reached 30 HRs last year. Because you are light in homers, it also makes you light in RBIs. In addition, after Hanley who is stealing bases? You've got Hanley and then... really no other base stealers unless you think Bourn off your bench can steal a bunch and not hurt you in other areas (which I'm still waiting to see if he'll make it outside the Phil's lineup) .

On the pitching side, your K's and WHIP are average or lower. However, I think you've got a good enough advantage in generating Wins and ERA that pitching is not your biggest concern. If you could concede some Wins/ERA for a better strikeout/WHIP pitcher you could take it but I wouldn't make it a priority.

The problem with trading away Hanley is that you basically have little chance winning steals at that point. You kinda need him as a building block. I would look at replacing Pedroia, Renteria, Rolen, or even Jeter with some HR hitters and/or base stealers. Actually forget the base stealers... I would concentrate on power first because more HRs will lead to more RBIs.

Hope that's not too negative, I'm not trying to say you have a bad team... but that's the direction I would try to go with this team.

-----
viewtopic.php?t=328015
Torr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team