How was my draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How was my draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How was my draft?

Postby oxhammer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:20 pm

10 team - 5x5 - No keepers

My league did our draft over the weekend. Problem was, only 3 people did the live draft with a 4th joining half way through. In other words, things were going too fast for me to keep up like I wanted to. I was trying to draft the best person available based on average draft pick. Since most teams were autodrafting, probably with Yahoo rankings, hitters were coming off the board fast. So, my team is pretty loaded with starting pitching but weak at C, 2B, and OF...IMO. How do you think I did?

1. (9) Jimmy Rollins SS
2. (12) Ryan Braun 3B - Ryan Howard was my pick here, but I didn’t want multiple players on the same team. I either shouldn’t have cared…or taken Soriano, Sizemore, or Crawford instead?
3. (29) Curtis Granderson OF
4. (32) Josh Beckett SP
5. (49) J.J. Putz RP
6. (52) Cole Hamels SP
7. (69) Roy Oswalt SP
8. (72) Justin Verlander SP
9. (89) Adrián González 1B
10. (92) Bobby Jenks RP
11. (109) Rafael Soriano RP
12. (112) Francisco Liriano SP
13. (129) Jeff Francoeur OF
14. (132) Dustin Pedroia 2B
15. (149) Matt Kemp OF - Will the sleeper pay off or will I be hurting in the outfield.
16. (152) Jim Thome Util - Good value pick or will he be a bust?
17. (169) James Loney 1B
18. (172) Mark DeRosa 1B,2B,3B,OF - Just a utility pick here
19. (189) Kerry Wood RP - This guy closing yet or what?
20. (192) J.R. Towles C
21. (209) Shaun Marcum SP,RP
Last edited by oxhammer on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oxhammer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How was my draft?

Postby play4awin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:34 pm

If they are auto picking you can usually see who will be off the board by your pick. I think you went to heavy on pitching at the start of your draft where you could have gotten some more position players. Braun is an ok pick there but he will have OF eligibility soon so I would have looked to draft another 3B there so you could have had another power bat (ARAM if he was available) and move him to the OF. Look to see if you can trade one of your OF if you can with a pitcher to add depth.

I dont like your catcher either but they all fall off after the first 3 so you can always pick up a hot bat. I would keep and eye on Ruiz from Philly if he is still out there.

Also what are your cats because that would help us know what you need and what you can trade away

Help if you can
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=328058
play4awin
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby oxhammer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Oops, should have known better. This is a 10 team with standard 5x5 scoring format.

Every time it came to my pick, according to average draft picks, a pitcher was what I should get. Position players were 10 to 15 picks too early. I should have just picked a position player after my first two SP and first two RP were picked. With autodraft picks taking about 15 seconds, picks were flying by really fast. Very hard to keep up with the pace and hard to keep strategies in mind. I wanted to take Corey Hart and Roy Oswalt with two of my picks (since I have the 9th pick, then 12th on the turn). My time was running out though and Yahoo doesn't have a good search. I could find Oswalt much faster, so I picked him with a couple seconds left to spare. Sure enough, the other team autodrafted Hart!

Yeah, completely forgot about Braun's OF eligibility. If Kemp falters, could move Braun to OF. Scott Rolen and Eric Chavez are available, so either one of them returns to their old form, this could be a possibility. It's nice to have that flexibility without having to make a trade. Maybe Francoeur plus a pitcher for a top 3B or OF...

Thanks for the tip on Ruiz. He's available and on my watch list now.
oxhammer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:33 pm

Drafting by valuing ADP above all is a good way to come in 6th in your league. The way you beat people is by identifying how the majority of people value a player, and adjusting up or down based on YOUR OWN judgments. So what if Putz and Papelbon have an ADP that puts them solidly in rounds 4 or 5? I will never, ever take them there, and neither should you if you want a competitive edge.
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 48)

Postby oxhammer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:50 pm

Agreed! I should have clarified a bit more. I have my own prerankings for each position and would draft according to that. It's just that I wasn't going to reach for a player too early based on their draft position. For instance, I really wanted Jarrod Saltalamacchia at catcher, since Martinez, Martin, and Mauer were already gone. I would have had to draft him with pick 132, which I thought was too early. Yahoo's average draft pick for him was 143. He got picked at 136 by another team. I had Saltalamacchia, Soto, and Towles ranked above Posada and Johjima. I don't think Posada and Johjima would post that much better numbers to justify the higher draft pick it would have taken to get them. So, my technique definitely was NOT just drafting based on who everyone else was picking at that time. Very good advice though, so thank you. Just not applicable in my case.
oxhammer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team