Max Inning/Position Limits? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Max Inning/Position Limits?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Max Inning/Position Limits?

Postby Cardphan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:04 pm

Has anyone ever set pitching limits for the year at # of starts allowed or # of innings pitched allowed? Would an innings pitched limit make more balanced pitching staffs and to keep starters and relievers at an equal level?

What about a limit on starts at offensive position? Would a 162 game limit at each position keep your league more balanced and keep a more active owner from having an advantage?

Thanks for any feedback.
Cardphan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Max Inning/Position Limits?

Postby CruiseJD » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Our league adopted a 12 starts per week limit. We wanted to limit the churning of pitchers without limiting roster moves. We use Yahoo and unfortunately Yahoo does not offer a Max IP for a custom head-to-head league.

I am in favor of max IP and max game limits. It ensures that stats and points accrued over an equivalent amount of opportunities.

Edit: To be clear, the 12 starts per week limit is imposed outside of the Yahoo rules. Yahoo does not offer this.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chairshot » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:54 pm

It really depends on what you want from your league and what type of rules you use.

If you have daily moves, then it might be a good idea to set a max of 162 for each position. Otherwise, those that have more time on their hands to make those daily moves might be able to exploit days off to get more then 162 games of stats at each position. If you use weekly moves, this is much less of a problem.

I generally am against setting minimums, but I understand why some leagues like to do it. The most typical minimums I've seen are 1100 IP for the year, counting all your pitchers. This pretty much means you have draft starting pitching, otherwise you will never make the minimum.

However, it is fun for leagues to have no minimums, too. It gives a owner more options on draft day as to how he wants to draft his team. He can decide to punt wins, if he wants and draft all relievers, if there are no minimums.

If you are worried about it, the easiest thing to do is to set your league to weekly transactions and a 1100 IP minimum. This covers most of the potential "exploits", if you want to use that term.
chairshot
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Eagle Baseball » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:40 pm

yahoo default is 162 games at a position and 1250 max innings pitched. I think those are about right. The 162 games per position works for me. 1250 innings is 6 starters @ approx 175 innings and 3 RP at 70 innings so that is about right.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner