Rate My Drafted Roster *WHIR* - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate My Drafted Roster *WHIR*

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate My Drafted Roster *WHIR*

Postby stickkeys108 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:51 pm

We just had our draft last night in a 10-team Yahoo! roto league. It's an extremely competitive league where each team was able to have 4 keepers (2 hitters and 2 pitchers).

Here's who I ended up with in the draft along with where my keepers were:

Round 1: Grady Sizemore, OF (Love this guy. I was afraid he was gonna be gone)
Round 2: Jimmy Rollins, SS (Keeper)
Round 3: Brian Roberts, 2B (I was eyeing Markakis here but he was taken two picks earlier)
Round 4: Joe Mauer, C (I was afraid the catcher run would start so I grabbed Mauer semi-early after Martinez was taken)
Round 5: Ryan Zimmerman, 3B (I'm banking this kid will bounce back in a new ballpark....plus he's only 24)
Round 6: Francisco Rodriguez, RP (Top tier closer)
Round 7: Jeff Francoeur, OF (I like him as my 2nd OF)
Round 8: John Smoltz, SP (Keeper)
Round 9: Dan Haren, SP (Keeper)
Round 10: Matt Cain, SP (I liked him going into the draft but when I made the pick a few people scoffed)
Round 11: Matt Kemp, OF (Hopefully the hype pans out)
Round 12: Rafael Soriano, RP (Got a nearly top tier closer in the middle rounds)
Round 13: A.J. Burnett, SP (If he can stay healthy, he should be a good #3)
Round 14: Jeremy Hermida, OF (I saw him still sitting there and he was in my Top 25 avail for OF so I grabbed him)
Round 15: Tony Pena, RP (Should get a lot of oppurtunities with all those W's that ARZ will get)
Round 16: James Loney, 1B (This pick was praised as a "great pick" by many in the league)
Round 17: Bronson Arroyo, SP (Loved getting him so late)
Round 18: Cameron Maybin, OF (I honestly forgot Longoria was still on the board and took Maybin thinking he would be the man in FLA)
Round 19: Raul Ibanez, OF (I hate Ibanez but I saw 20+ HR and 100+ RBI available in the 19th Round and took him)
Round 20: Mark Prior, SP (Made this pick as a late round flier)
Round 21: Justin Morneau, 1B (Keeper)

For some reason I'm not sold on my team, but at the same time I feel like I got nothing worse than some second tier players at all of my positions.

Let me know what you guys think I need........

*With Help In Return* of course......
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate My Drafted Roster *WHIR*

Postby smay24 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Why did you keep Smoltz and Haren as your Keeper?
smay24
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Montana168 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:16 pm

very, very solid team. not sure it was smart to pick sizemore in the first...what pick did you have? i just hope you didn't draft him before braun because braun is eligible for OF after 5 games or w/e you league setting is for position eligibility. overall very good hitting team. james loney in the 16th was a huge steal...i think he is going to blow up this year. only holes i see are your RP. they are HUGE risk players that have a potential to be great. soriano is not a top tier closer though, but he should get a good amount of save opportunities with the braves, same goes for pena.

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=328049
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby candyman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:31 pm

You have a lot of speed/power combo guys... which is very good. I like Rollins to go for 40 steals and 25 HR this year. Sizemore 35 and 30, Kemp 25/20... The only small thing I can think of is that you may want some more RBIs. Only Morneau and Francoeur went over 100 RBI last year out of the guys on your team.

I like your hitting a lot on paper still though. Because with HR usually comes RBI, and with SB usually come Runs, so it should still work itself out well in your favor.

You could use some SP though. You have very little depth, Smoltz, Haren, Cain are ok... but then you have Burnett, Arroyo, and Prior... HUGE question marks. You've got to do something to shore up your SP depth... maybe start on the WW and see what's out there. In a ten team league there should be something.

Also, Lyon is closing for the Dbacks right now I think... so your RP may need some help as well. Maybe grab Sherill if he's still available on the WW... Saves can always be found from free agents throughout the year so I wouldn't worry TOO much about it.

Help me out?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=327996
candyman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby tvaldivi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:32 pm

Overall i like your team and it should be somewhat competitive. I'm not sure it is a title contender though, Having J-Roll and Morneau is solid. I don't know who was available when picking Sizemore, maybe listing who was drafted after him would help, but I can't say I love that pick. Your starting pitching is solid but lacks a sure fire ace, I'm not sold on Haren being able to put up the same type of numbers in the NL. Oakland is one of the best pitching parks in the majors and all that foul territory saves a lot of pitchers. Look at his second half numbers and you'll see the drop off he had after the all star break. But then again most of my teams lack the ace pitcher to anchor a staff, Smoltz could be that guy but its tough to rely on a 40 year old pitcher. Overall solid team though.

Help with mine: viewtopic.php?t=327885
tvaldivi
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stickkeys108 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Here was the overall first round selections:

1 (Team 1)- Matt Holliday
2 (Team 2)- Albert Pujols
3 (Team 3)- No Pick (Kept Johan Santana in this spot)
4 (Team 4)- Chase Utley
5 (Team 5)- Carl Crawford
6 (Team 6)- David Ortiz
7 (Team 7)- No Pick (Kept Alex Rodriguez in this spot)
8 (My Team)- Grady Sizemore
9 (Team 9)- Vladimir Guerrero
10 (Team 10)- Carlos Beltran

You have to understand that each team got to keep 2 hitters and 2 pitchers from last year's teams. Thus these were the BEST AVAILABLE.

I think Sizemore was the best pick there.........
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team